Help with S&Q motion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 14th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help with S&Q motion

Hi all.

I've read some posts here about the slow & quick motion settings of this camera. Some helpful, some not so helpful. I'm really lost here. I haven't experimented with it since I really don't know how to set it up.

Maybe in very simple terms, could someone explain what exactly is this camera doing to achieve overcranking?
Devin Termini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Major Player

It is actually recording additional frames. Not duplicate frames, mind you, but additional real frames. If you were set up for 30p and you overcrank to 60p, then it is recording 60 frames per second at the quality level of the 30 frames. When you play this back, it plays at half speed and there is no jitter or stepping from frame to frame.

If you were to slow down regular 24p or 30p footage to half speed, you'd begin to see each frame rather than smooth, fluid motion. Overcranking takes care of this.

Undercranking is just the opposite, tremendous flexibility in speeding up footage.
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

In really really simple terms, go into the menu and turn it on. Set the number to 60 for really slowmo smooth footage, set it to 1 for really really really fast sped up footage
Jon Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #4
Major Player

this video is nothing but 720x30p set to 60fps overcranking. All I did was hold down the S&Q button on the EX3 and turn the dial until it said 60/30

I also set the shutter speed to 1/2000 to keep all the fast moving details sharp. But that only works in bright light...

YouTube - FSW 11-08 slow motion races
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 06:33 AM   #5
Trustee

Erik,
you may want to try out vimeo for your videos. Vimeo image quality blows away Youtube
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

He already uses Vimeo I believe. Was checking out his stuff the other day.
Old November 15th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Erik,
you may want to try out vimeo for your videos. Vimeo image quality blows away Youtube
Yea I put the main video on vimeo and all the footage left over on youtube... if you watch in in high quality it's not so bad.. :)

Four Stroke Wars Dumont 11-08-08 on Vimeo
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Vimeo videos do look much better, and larger. The only issue I've seen with clips there though is they tend to stutter or freeze while the video downloads. I know the files are much larger than YouTube's, and I do have a fast internet connection, but that little detail is a distraction for me. If I post a music video for someone there and as they watch it it pauses (even for only a second) half a a dozen times, that takes away from the fluidity of the clip.

Does anyone else find that clips there pause often?
Chad Hucal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I've just been using exposureroom. Converts it into 3 different files, and the default medium size retains tons of detail for the average viewer, while not pausng or stuttering on playback. Also, there's no silly "1 hd upload a week" crap
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #10
Major Player

all the videos on vimeo play smooth as butter for me...even while loading.. maybe my connection is better? I upgrade to plus so I get unlimited HD and 2 gigs a week.
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds