Vortex Media DVD for EX1 / EX3 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 21st, 2008, 11:40 AM   #46
Regular Crew

I have used the card readers power adapter for full days of shooting with no problems.

It is a much smaller package.
Chris Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 09:19 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Good DVD... a couple of questions please....

1) how are you guys ripping the DVD's to your Iphone...
2) does anyone know what backpack they are using with the camera...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 06:31 AM   #48
Major Player

Vortex in the UK?

Does anyone know if there are any UK companies/people selling the vortex training dvd for the ex1 in the UK? i ask because i hope to purchase one within the next 7 days before i head out on an important shoot and if i order from the states it will take well over a week to arrive. If anyone knows of a company or even has a second hand copy for sale, please let me know. Thank you.
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #49
Trustee

Not if you get it shipped Fedex Priority. I got mine within 3 days.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #50
New Boot

vortex media dvd ex slow shutter

Just wondering if there was a typo on the dvd when Doug was explaining the combining of time lapse with ex slow shutter specifically the night scene whilst driving the vehicle through the streets the dvd shows time lapse of 1 frame/sec with SLS of 8. But i cant find 8 in the pull down menu in the camera only 16,32,& 64
J. Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #51
Inner Circle

SLS is in the Shutter menu while EX Slow shutter has it's own menu. Not sure why they have split the slow shutter into 2 menus but that what Sony have done.
Old May 4th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #52
Major Player

Would anybody be willing to sell their copy of this DVD? Maybe you've dumped the footage to your iPhone or something, but I need to get a copy of this. Some friends gave me a gift certificate to Amazon.com but even they don't have it listed yet. Any help? Contact me off-list if you can help me out.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
Would anybody be willing to sell their copy of this DVD? Maybe you've dumped the footage to your iPhone or something, but I need to get a copy of this. Some friends gave me a gift certificate to Amazon.com but even they don't have it listed yet. Any help? Contact me off-list if you can help me out.
You can't "dump the footage to your iPhone" and then sell your licence. That's a bit mean I think. There are discounted copies at some stores.
Mike Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #54
Major Player

Sorry Mike, no harm meant. I'm not mean.....really. ;)
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #55
Major Player

Mastering the Sony PMW-EX3

Hi all Sony EX3 owners,

I just noticed that Vortex Media has out another training DVD. This time it's for the Sony PMW-EX3 XDCAM EX camcorder.

Mastering the Sony PMW-EX3

Enjoy!
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:45 AM   #56
Major Player

My review

Last week I received my DVD in the mailbox. Here is my review about the 2 DVD-set.

After buying several other training DVD’s and some other professional products from Doug Jensen’s Vortex Media, I also got the new 2 DVD-set that teaches about the new Sony PMW-EX3 XDCAM EX camera. I’m not owning such a model, but I just love to watch training DVD’s, and especially when they made by Vortex Media.

First I wondered why they would come out with a “Mastering the Sony PMW-EX3” DVD, when they already have a training DVD for The PMW-EX1. Under the hood those models are just the same! But the on the outside the EX3 has some extras that are not found on his little brother, the EX1. All those new things are covered in this new 3 hours DVD set. And don't forget that it is much easier to learn something, when your personal teacher has the same model on his hands as you have. Imagine that you have to learn driving a car, and your teacher is showing you how to it on a bike. So for EX3 owners this is a must have DVD. I see this training DVD as a visual users guide. But one that is much better than the printed version from Sony.

All things get covered. From a tour around the camera till the save archiving from your footage. The DVD-set contains lots chapters and is very pleasant to watch. Because you can remove the lens of the EX3, there is a whole chapter that covers the lens options. Lenses always interested me, so this is one of my favorite chapters. Like all other DVD’s everything is kept very simple and straight to the point. Doug is cameraman who knows what he is talking about. Although the “A Complete Guide to the XDCAM HD F350” is presented by a professional guy, I like the ones that are done by Doug itself much better.

Like I did with the other DVD’s that I own from vortex Media, I also tested this one on several of my DVD-players because I'm living in PAL land. To be more exact: Belgium. All 4 DVD-players and one Blu-ray Disc player passed the test with ease. Even when it is a standard definition NTSC DVD, the picture quality is awesome on my 40” full HD Sony Bravia LCD TV. Especially my Sony HDD/DVD recorder and Blu-ray Disc player, that are scaling up the footage to 1080p through HDMI cable give brilliant pictures. I wonder how all those DVD’s would look in HD. A customer that not lives in a NTSC land doesn't have to worry that this 2 DVD-set isn't going to work on his television and DVD set.

As I mentioned before, I do not own a Sony PMW-EX3 XDCAM EX camera, and I probably will never going to buy one because I'm using Sony’s Professional Optical Disc system called XDCAM HD. But nevertheless I could pick up an EX3 right now after watching this 3 hours DVD-set, and start shooting high quality footage immediately. People who own this camera and are serious about their job or hobby will already own or have ordered this personal training DVD. To all those others I want to say: get serious and buy this fantastic DVD-set from Vortex Media! You will not regret it.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #57
Major Player

Vortex Media DVD for EX3

For those of you who own the Vortex media dvd's for Ex3 or even the EX1, what are your impressions? Is it helpful? Am I allowed to ask a question like this on this forum about a sponsor?
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Coming from SPBeta Cam to EX3, I thought the dvd's (2) are a great way to get up to speed quick. It covers all the "main" areas" but some bits you will still need to look in the manual. If you are happy reading instructions maybe the manual is enough but the DVD's also show examples of what different settings etc look like so it's great that way. However, it is standard def of course so it's not exactly going to be like way the vision is really like!

Hope this helps, Evan
Evan Meades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #59

Larry, I found the DVD set for the EX3 to be extremely helpful. Doug presumes the viewer has a basic knowledge of video and camera use. He focuses on each camera's peculiarities, which was exactly what I needed.

To make a long story short, after I received my EX3, I had about a week to learn how it worked before a major shoot. I popped the DVDs into the player, sat down with the EX3 in my lap, and watched the videos. After three hours I was up and running, shooting beautiful video. (That's a good way to break an arm!)

Take some time, go to the Web site at Vortex Media and *read* what is said about the videos and their content. There are you told exactly what to expect, and that's exactly what you'll get.

The videos were a real time saver and, in my case, worth every penny.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #60
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Good DVD... a couple of questions please....

1) how are you guys ripping the DVD's to your Iphone...
Supposedly you are on a Mac, right?

Download Ripit from RipIt - The Simple DVD Ripper for Macs
Download MPEGStreamClip from Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows
Rip and open resulting file in MPSC to transcode into iPhone compatible format.
if you want a more comfy conversion app, look here: www.macvide.com
Open file in iTunes and transfer to iPod or iPhone.

Last edited by Peter Kraft; November 17th, 2008 at 08:38 AM.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds