My EX3 mount at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 16th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My EX3 mount

Hi, I've only just recently got a EX3 and coming from SP Betacam it's been quite interesting!
The major problem of course has been camera mount/shoulder mount so taking what others have posted, especially Ted and looking at the other various mounts, I got one made. I wanted to use my existing VCT14 quick plates etc.

I temporarily borrowed my v mount and guide rail assembly from the Betacam and mounted it to the bottom. The plate itself has a guide pin to locate it with the EX3 and then uses the 1/4 inch hole and the two 4mm holes in the old shoulder mount area to attach to the camera . Same as Ted's et all.
I got mine bent and welded rather than screwed together but I can see the advantage of individual parts especially for freight/box size! Mine will stay on the camera so welds are fine and nothing much to come loose!

Anyway, just though I'd share to show people it's not really that hard to make for those DIY people.

ps. I have not finished this (no pads, back plate etc) and will post a few mod photos very soon, plus a new extention that helps it I think! Stay tuned!
Attached Thumbnails
My EX3 mount-.jpg   My EX3 mount-b.jpg  

Evan Meades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Very Good Evan, I've been thinking about this exact same approach. Aluminum bends pretty easy and tapping holes is no mystery, but I did not know one could weld it. Simple yet effective! Now that's what I'm talking about :-)

Tomorrow is my day off, so time for a trip to the metal shop.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Barry I got a local 4wd accessories workshop to bend & weld as they do it all the time for bull bars etc and have all the aluminium on hand so probably a bit cheaper that a hardware.

goodluck!

ps. I will post some more photos soon of my new modifications that work better!

Evan
Old November 16th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

new modifications

Here's the new modifications which include a small extension across the shoulder area. Personally, I found the eyepeice too close using the 1st version and also by adding the extension, it helps get the centre of gravity further back and also fits (my) shoulder much better.

I have also added Ted's idea of a hinged tail piece that folds up and due to the extension, allows for use of the bigger EX3 battery. This flat extended area is for adding weight i.e. big battery/ radio mikes etc to help again to move the centre of gravity back. I found 3 NP1 (old) batteries worked well and I can hold the EX3 on the shoulder with out any need for the left hand. The draw back is the extra weight but the camera now actually feels like a shoulder mount camera!

I put the rubber pad on via velcro so I can easily replace/modify if need be. I used a stainless steel hinge with counter sunk small bolts tapped into the plates.

I have put up a gallery of lots of detail pictures on my site

My_Ex3_Mount

but here is a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
My EX3 mount-c.jpg   My EX3 mount-d.jpg  

My EX3 mount-e.jpg   My EX3 mount-f.jpg  

Old November 16th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Great design!

I'm wondering if you (or Ted, if he is reading this thread) or anyone else could help me with a design question.

I would like to fabricate (or rather, go to a metal shop and have them fabricate) a similar tripod and shoulder mount.

I am also using the BeBob CoCo EX-3 battery adapter (which I love, by the way and have written about in my most recent DV column)

http://images.bebob.de/8717.jpg

The Bebob attaches with 2 thumbscrews to the two holes for the cheek guard.

Then there is the matter of the existing shoulder pad on the EX-3.

I really do not need any power other than the existing CoCo EX-3. Does the shoulder pad remove easily or did you not need to remove the shoulder pad?

Sorry for the elementary questions but I am metal-shop challenged and do great with things electronic but rather lousy with metal design.

Finally, what type of material did you choose for the shoulder pad? Attaching with Velcro is a great idea!

Thanks

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Ned, thanks! I really just copied a few of the ideas and added a few. Being in Australia, lots of times it's too expensive or slow to import but in the US, I would consider Ted's design and let him have the trouble of making it.

Yes, I chose to have the cheek guard fitted and not use the original EX3 shoulder mount thingy...it really didn't do much anyway! I don't know the Bebob stuff but I think you are referring to the top of the cheek pad which has a few screws there. If so, I don't think there's any problem as these mounts don't use those holes, only the two holes where the original EX3 shoulder mount attached are used to fix the new (my shoulder mount) plate.
The sony shoulder pad removes easily, check the manual's description for fitting the check guard.

I got some dense foam/rubber from Clark Rubber (in Australia, maybe in US too?) but I'm sure you can source some...it was like $1.50 AUD so 50cents USD! The velcroe idea works well and it's great for attaching all sorts of things to the plate...see my pics on my site!

Evan
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks, Evan

Let me just clarify one thing. You DID remove the original shoulder pad, correct?

Don't need the cheek guard. The holes where you would have attached the cheek guard are the holes which the BeBob uses.

Ned
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Ned, yes, I removed the original Sony shoulder pad.

I don't know the Bebob product so if you say so.
The holes I used are the 2 that were under the original Sony shoulder pad. I used two small (4mm I think) bolts that now go through my plate and the plastic cheek pad to hold it all in place.

hope that helps.

Evan
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #9
Major Player

OK.. now I've got it.

Those 4mm screws are the same screws which attach the BeBob.

Thanks
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Ned, i had a quick look at the Bebob site and yes I think in 1 picture it looked like there's a part that might attach there. You could still attach both things I would think, even if you had to use slightly longer bolts. The original screws are too short for anything and I also wanted counter sunk style heads so it fitted flush on my plate.

Evan
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #11
Major Player

Ned,
I too am using the Bebob Coco-ex3 which I find absolutely fantastic - it literally changed my EX3 into a shoulder mounted camera with the right weight distribution and outputs. I've kept both the original shoulder support and cheek guard. However I would like to devise a better shoulder pad on the lines of the DSR camcorders. I am also being tempted to order a shoulder pad of one of the DSR's and somehow adapting it to the EX3. But I'm not so much of a designer. Are you thinking on these lines as well?
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #12
Trustee

One question I have about all of these designs is they only use half of the VCT 14 camera plate, the front wedge. My feeling is that must leave the possibility of some movement in the wedge as it's not that big. Has anyone considered also using the rear pin of the plate to hold the camera more securely?
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:21 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
Ned,
I too am using the Bebob Coco-ex3 which I find absolutely fantastic - it literally changed my EX3 into a shoulder mounted camera with the right weight distribution and outputs. I've kept both the original shoulder support and cheek guard. However I would like to devise a better shoulder pad on the lines of the DSR camcorders. I am also being tempted to order a shoulder pad of one of the DSR's and somehow adapting it to the EX3. But I'm not so much of a designer. Are you thinking on these lines as well?
That's exactly what I would like to design!

I had never thought of trying to adapt a DSR shoulder pad. As I said, I'm not much of a product designer.

This one is definitely worth pursuing.

Ned
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
One question I have about all of these designs is they only use half of the VCT 14 camera plate, the front wedge. My feeling is that must leave the possibility of some movement in the wedge as it's not that big. Has anyone considered also using the rear pin of the plate to hold the camera more securely?
A good point, especially when you see a Long Lens with a fully loaded Matte Box and Follow Focus added on. That is some serious weight to bear and leverage on a little wedge with its three screws. The VCT-U14 was designed to distribute the weight and leverage by using its rear pin, like the big cameras do when they slide into place.

One base plate that actually uses the full potential of the VCT-U14. - * Production Gear Triad Camera Plate
I've been brain storming, how to integrate this base plate with the existing ideas.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
A good point, especially when you see a Long Lens with a fully loaded Matte Box and Follow Focus added on. That is some serious weight to bear and leverage on a little wedge with its three screws. The VCT-U14 was designed to distribute the weight and leverage by using its rear pin, like the big cameras do when they slide into place.

One base plate that actually uses the full potential of the VCT-U14. - * Production Gear Triad Camera Plate
I've been brain storming, how to integrate this base plate with the existing ideas.
Great find!

That Triad Camera Plate + a shoulder mount would answer my needs.

Does anyone know if that is proprietary to Videogear or whether it is marketed in US as well?
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds