DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   advice on RR shouldermount for EX1 with matte box (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/137908-advice-rr-shouldermount-ex1-matte-box.html)

Piotr Wozniacki November 17th, 2008 11:15 AM

advice on RR shouldermount for EX1 with matte box

With my previous cams, I used the PAG Orbitor shoulder mount (when applicable), and was quite happy with it.

With my EX1, I'd like to be able to shoot with microMatteBox, microFollowFocus and 4x5.65" filters, which of course requires a rail system and is quite heavy. Due to its design, the PAG Orbitor cannot be used with such rig.

Being very much impressed by my Redrock Micro accessories so far, I'm considering their low riser microSupport (to accommodate the matte box straight on the camera); their microShoulderMount also seems it'd be a good choice, nicely integrating with the rig in question and allowing to move the rig's CoG to my shoulder (with the camera moved all the way back on the rails). It also allows mounting some counter-weighing accessory (like batteries) at the very rear end.

My questions to those of you who have had a hands-on experience with the RR microShoulderSupport are two:

1. Is it really functioning in a way I'm expecting, after having watched all the RR instructional videos?

2. Which iris rod length should I choose for the grips, so that the camera is level with my hands not kept very high, but at some 90 deg at my elbows, supported against my trunk's sides? Brian says either the 9" or 12" will be OK, but I'd like to be 100% certain which ones to order

Answers to the above are extremely important to me, as I'm after two serious surgeries on my neck spine, so a good shoulder mount must allow the rig's CoG to rest on my shoulder and not in front of me - therefore any comments will be appreciated. TIA

Piotr

Brian Valente November 18th, 2008 10:42 AM

Hi Piotr

Just to clarify, I think you are looking at all possible options to move weight onto your shoulder and away from the front. You definitely want to be looking at the microPowerPod to mount your battery and provide rear ballast. You also want to be using that external monitor of yours so you can position the camera to be directly on top of your shoulder, which will more evenly distribute your rig's weight.

I will post up a picture of the rig we were speaking about once we have it configured. The rod length for your handgrips really depends on your height and arm length.

Brian

Dan Chung November 18th, 2008 10:54 AM

I have the same rig, be warned you may want longer rods than the stock ones depending on how much ballast you want out back and how long your lenses are up front.

Dan

Piotr Wozniacki November 18th, 2008 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Valente (Post 965349)
Hi Piotr

I will post up a picture of the rig we were speaking about once we have it configured. The rod length for your handgrips really depends on your height and arm length.

Brian

Thanks Brian - I'm counting on you (I'd like to once again express my deep satisfaction with the way Brian has been supporting me, unlike some of RR competitors whose name I won't mention explicitly - many of you know who I mean).

As to my "parameters" - I'm rather short (just 170 cm), and I guess I have proportionally long (or short?) hands. Please take a look at myself with my old rig (the PAG Orbitor); you can see how comfortably low my hands could be positioned. I'd very much like the same with the microShoulderMount, with the camera, microMatteBox and microPod higher and backwards on my shoulder. So, does it call for the 12" grip rods, or will the 9" suffice?