DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Just about to purchase the EX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/138040-just-about-purchase-ex3.html)

Vincent Oliver November 19th, 2008 03:25 AM

Just about to purchase the EX3

I am on the brink of purchasing the EX3, but need to have a bit more information first.

1. Can you output to 720 x 576
2. How does the TimeCode work with file clips, does the TimeCode pick up again when you start shooting again or does it reset to 00:00:00:00 with each new clip/take
3. Although I like the idea of full HD resolution for future proof etc. How will it benefit me for today's market. i.e. most consumers are still using standard DVD format, Blu-Ray for the masses is still another 2 years away.
4. Can the LCD screen be flipped so the talent can preview what is being shot (I present on my own productions and sometimes just use a remote control to start).

Thanks

Paul Kellett November 19th, 2008 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 965772)
I am on the brink of purchasing the EX3, but need to have a bit more information first.

2. How does the TimeCode work with file clips, does the TimeCode pick up again when you start shooting again or does it reset to 00:00:00:00 with each new clip/take
3. Although I like the idea of full HD resolution for future proof etc. How will it benefit me for today's market. i.e. most consumers are still using standard DVD format, Blu-Ray for the masses is still another 2 years away.
4. Can the LCD screen be flipped so the talent can preview what is being shot (I present on my own productions and sometimes just use a remote control to start).

Thanks

If it's the same as the EX1 then,,,

1. No.

2. Whatever you want, different options in the menu.

3. I save my finished project with the original HD files, so if needed i can just reopen that project and rerender as blu-ray and burn (when i get a blu ray burner).

4. Yes.

Paul.

David Issko November 19th, 2008 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 965772)

Thanks

1. Sorry Paul, but yes you can output to 720x576 from the composite & S-Video outputs. In fact you can do widescreen or 4x3 even. Quality is not so good though, so don't get excited. Tried it for 8mm film transfers. Better off going in HD and downconverting at the end of the line.

2. As per Paul. I don't worry about timecode unless I need to match frame or re sync separated video & audio together or similar.
3. As per Paul and probably the vast majority of EX users. For most users, better final DVD quality, but some users are having quality issues with their finished DVDs. Not sure why.
4. As per Paul. I use it often.

All the best with the camera

Vincent Oliver November 20th, 2008 06:30 AM

Thank you for the replies. I had a "hands on" look at the EX3 yesterday courtesy of Visual Impact's Open day and although I was very impressed with the camera I thought the weight for hand held work may be too much. The shoulder pad was not worth using, at least for me anyway. Of course a lot of shots will be using a tripod and some other work will have to be with a monopod, to use the camera for any long periods as a hand held job will be out of the question.

I also asked the Sony rep why the sxs cards were so overpriced, when cards from Transcend could be purchased at a fraction of the price. He told me that the Sony cards used the full bus data transfer speed the the PCIe cards could deliver (up to 800), whereas SD crds rely on the USB speed (up to 200), and as such the Sony sxs cards could maintain the data accurately, i.e. no errors or drop outs. He convinced me on the argument why we should use Sony sxs cards, but didn't give a reasonable answer as to why they are so expensive. Besides that, he also told us that Sony would introduce 32 & 64gb cards next year - start saving.

Will I buy the EX3?

Probably, but as with so many big purchases I have cold feet - at least my wife is supportive and says if it is going to help me with my production work then go for it.

This is where my second area of doubt comes in. At the moment I am producing corporate DVDs and my own user guide DVDs, which only require SD files. I also do the occasional wedding and private function which again doesn't require HD, but I did have a tape snarl up on one job (fortunately nothing important was lost) and this has led me down the path of tapeless workflow.

I will sit on this for a few more days, who knows the price may even drop.

Peter Kraft November 20th, 2008 07:18 AM

Which SD camera a you using? Have you seen the
Sony HVR-MRC1K CF card recorder that comes with
Z7, Z270 and attaches seamlessly to the Z5 as well as
every other HDV camera with a firewire / iLink port.

Search for more info here in these forums.

Brian Cassar November 20th, 2008 07:28 AM

Hi Vincent,

I would like to comment on your concern as regards to hanheld filming. I film everything handheld (as I do a lot of event videos) and find no problem with the EX3. However, and I know that many here on this forum might not agree with me, I make use both of the shoulder pad and also most importantly of the cheek pad (without which you will loose quite a lot of stability). I'm also using Bebob's Coco EX-3 and with the aded weight of a heavy V-lock battery, will make the EX3 back heavy.

I usually handheld the camera for 1 to 1.5 hours with no breaks. It's true that after 1.5 hours you need to put the camera down and extend your elbow a bit as otherwise you get slight cramping there - but nothing drastic, just a 5 minute break.

The 32GB is already available and I love it because at the end of a day's shooting, it transfers all the files in one go without the need to stay changing cards in the card reader. In fact I have two 16GB cards which I intend to change them to one 32GB card for better ease of use. It's true they are very expensive, but when it comes to event videos such as weddings, I will always use the Sony SxS cards.

Vincent Oliver November 20th, 2008 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Kraft (Post 966262)
Which SD camera a you using? Have you seen the
Sony HVR-MRC1K CF card recorder that comes with
Z7, Z270 and attaches seamlessly to the Z5 as well as
every other HDV camera with a firewire / iLink port.

Search for more info here in these forums.

Yes, I have been looking at this (£545 in the UK). It is an answer, I am also looking at other tapeless drives. I use the Canon XH-A1 and an XL1s. I love the XL, it works bests with 4:3 format which is OK for web work but not for DVD production. The XH-A1 is lovely, but I want something more substantial for paid jobs. The EX3 would seem to be the perfect choice.

Alexander Kubalsky November 20th, 2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 966248)
Will I buy the EX3?

Probably, but as with so many big purchases I have cold feet - at least my wife is supportive and says if it is going to help me with my production work then go for it.

This is where my second area of doubt comes in. At the moment I am producing corporate DVDs and my own user guide DVDs, which only require SD files. I also do the occasional wedding and private function which again doesn't require HD, but I did have a tape snarl up on one job (fortunately nothing important was lost) and this has led me down the path of tapeless workflow.

I will sit on this for a few more days, who knows the price may even drop.

Why not buy the EX1? i think the EX3 is great for people who already have other Pro lenses but other than that I cant se the benefit over the EX1. Spend the money you save when you get an EX1 on a 35mm adapter and enter a whole new level.

Alister Chapman November 20th, 2008 10:25 AM

The ergonomics of the EX3 are much better than the EX1. I have both an EX1 and an EX3. I much prefer using the EX3 over the EX1. It's so much easier to do handheld work with the EX3, there are no issues with bright light and the LCD and it looks more professional than the EX1. The EX1 is a bit more portable, but from a usability point of view the EX3 is so much better.

Vincent Oliver November 20th, 2008 11:31 AM

It is the LCD on the EX3 that I like. Having used the Canon XH A1 in the "front viewing" position I find it awkward compared to the XL1s, which is a semi shoulder mount. The EX3 does seem to offer more, and who knows, a wide angle lens at a future date, or a longer telephoto. The EX3 is still on the cards, may just order it in the morning. Now, how do I tell my eight year old daughter she can't have that Barbie doll for Christmas?

David Issko November 20th, 2008 01:35 PM

Hi Vincent,

Off topic here for a moment but are you the owner of Photo-i website. If so, great site. I have bought a B9180 based on your fabulous reviews & contributors' forum. I also have the D90 and concur with your great video review about it.

Getting back on track, the EX3 really isn't really a hand held camera as we all know, but with a suitable shoulder rig, it help enormously to stabilise the camera. I do use the camera on its own for some quick shoulder shots, but not for too long. The EX3 can be quite the money pit, but once you have all the extra bits and pieces like highly respected forum member, Ted OMalley's or VF Gadget's base plate, some additional (portable & inbuilt) hard drives for quick backup x2, SxS cards or the alternates, a shoulder rig (I have DVTec's ProHD rig) a suitable tripod, carry bag, rain cover (still have to buy one) and whatever else you can think of, you will be set!!!!

Putting all that aside, if you are making money with it, then the additional expenditure is worth it, especially the solid base plate. You will love the picture quality, tapeless workflow and end results.

All the best.
David Issko

Vincent Oliver November 20th, 2008 02:28 PM

SOLD!

Thanks for the advice David I am aware of the extras needed, including spare batteries, bigger bag, filters etc. Yes I am the owner of photo-i and I am pleased that you were happy enough with my review of the B9180, to buy it. It is a very fine printer which also sits on my desk - amongst others.

I do have a lot of video work on the cards for the next few months and could justify the expenditure (and have some change to buy Sophie a Barbie doll too). I go hot and cold when I am about to go on a big spend and like to weigh up the pros and cons in detail before I commit. Please bear with me on what may seem like very basic questions.

Regards Vincent

Stewart Weir November 22nd, 2008 08:46 AM

Re Ex3 for sale.

Ive sent you an email re a mint ex3 plus extras i have for sale. Or you can view here..

Sony EX3 Plus Extras : Classifieds, For Sale

Thanks