DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Another new operator. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/138151-another-new-operator.html)

Joe Lawry November 20th, 2008 10:00 PM

Another new operator.

Well with Clients asking for XDCAM EX more and more and working on more jobs shooting B Camera to PDW530s it was time to scrap my idea and getting an HPX170 and buy an EX. The price rise at the start of December (20%!) also pushed me to buy sooner rather than later.

All good though, keeping my HVX so i can have the best of both worlds. An EX1, 2xBP60s, UV, Polar, 16 Gig Card (going to look into SDHC soon, however need to shoot now) and a Storm 2720 all on order and should arrived beginning of Jan - stoked.

Now i just need to pick up a Varizoom controller and a Hood Pro and i'll be set!

Also need to start reading the PP thread.

Erik Phairas November 20th, 2008 10:12 PM

welcome to the club, there will be a meeting this weekend. We are discussing a new secret handshake, one without the high 5 at the end. Although I voted in the high 5 two meetings ago... it's water under the bridge now, you can't please everyone..

What were we talking about? Oh yea... congrats on the EX purchase. :)

Jason Davenport November 20th, 2008 11:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of us...one of us...one of us....

Your initiation will begin at midnight....

Jay Gladwell November 21st, 2008 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Lawry (Post 966662)
... Now i just need to pick up a Varizoom controller and a Hood Pro and i'll be set!

In the for-what-it's-worth department, I had a Varizoom controller. Then, when I got my EX3, I got the Bebob Zoe EX. The difference is like day and night!

Just something to think about.

Ted OMalley November 21st, 2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Phairas (Post 966666)
welcome to the club, there will be a meeting this weekend. We are discussing a new secret handshake, one without the high 5 at the end. Although I voted in the high 5 two meetings ago... it's water under the bridge now, you can't please everyone..

What were we talking about? Oh yea... congrats on the EX purchase. :)

Just so long as we keep the 'knuckle bump' and the three hops.

Joe Lawry November 21st, 2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell (Post 966797)
In the for-what-it's-worth department, I had a Varizoom controller. Then, when I got my EX3, I got the Bebob Zoe EX. The difference is like day and night!

Just something to think about.

Cheers Jay, I've got a Varizoom Rock for my HVX and i love it, what didnt you like about the EX version and what did you find better about the Bebob Zoe EX?

I was planning on getting the VZ Rock EX controller, Not interested in the Pro version.. to big.

Joe Lawry December 5th, 2008 06:05 AM

Well my brand new Ex1 finally arrived!

Got everything in my order bar my 1 16GB sony card and the sony card reader i threw on my order after i placed it. Both are backordered.. Luckily i've got 2 dalkins already, and 2 Sandisk Extreme IIs on the way.

First thoughts, huh new SDI cover.. i highly doubt i'll be loosing this one. The BP-60s are HUGE! Damn thats a sharp LCD and wow sony pack their boxes like crazy.

Few Qs.. Worth me checking for backfocus issues? i guess its worth doing the adjustment even if most of the cameras now coming off the production line are probably fine..

I was also having a play trying to break the rolling shutter (I am a HVX user after all heh) Saw all the normal skewing etc.. but noticed one thing i hadnt read about before..

Had the camera over cranking to 60fps in 720 25p and was on the long end of the lens. Crash zoomed out with the servo zoom turned off and focus on manual focus.

Watched the clip play back on the LCD and noticed that when i did this that in the second it took for the overcranked footage to crash out that the whole image went out of focus.. why is this? OIS was set too on.

Im not trying to cause a fuss, i just want to learn the limitations of the camera so i can know how far i can push it and where its going to have problems.

Now the fun part.. time to pick and pluck a new storm case! weeeeeee.

Adam Reuter December 8th, 2008 01:31 AM

Hey Joe,

Have you already bought that Storm Case? I got one from Abel Cine that was made just for the EX1. I couldn't see myself living without it now!

Joe Lawry December 8th, 2008 03:19 PM

Yea i got the 2720, Its the best size for little cameras.. and i could never go back to not having wheels on a case.. walking through an airport is so much easier. I have my HVX in one as well.