DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 on a big screen (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/138185-ex1-big-screen.html)

Darek Sepiolo November 21st, 2008 11:38 AM

EX1 on a big screen

I've just come back from our local movie theater where we rented 2K Christie projector. There were quite a lot of my friends from the movie and TV business. We wanted to check how EX1 looks on a big screen. Well... everybody was quite surprised that it looked that good. The test was done for our underwater productions based mainly on this short movie displayed 1080p:
Galapagos on Vimeo

The light down there is quite different from what you can get on the surface but still the quality of the picture was great.

Rodney Compton November 21st, 2008 11:53 AM

S.n.u.b

Sony have got behind this production - as the first feature to use the EX1 in the UK.

Darek Sepiolo November 21st, 2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodney Compton (Post 966966)
Sony have got behind this production - as the first feature to use the EX1 in the UK.

Pretty amazing camera.

Herminio Cordido November 21st, 2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darek Sepiolo (Post 967170)
Pretty amazing camera.

Pretty amazing shots dude!
congrats

Erik Phairas November 21st, 2008 08:55 PM

love the whale shark. I was watching some of my ex3 video on our 92" screen with a HD pro jo. Looks great. Love this camera. The bigger you blow up the screen the more little details it brings out.

Alister Chapman November 22nd, 2008 02:42 AM

I've seen some of my EX and XDCAM HD material projected with an SXRD 4K in a full size digital cinema and the quality never cease to amaze me.

Mathieu Ghekiere November 22nd, 2008 06:03 AM

Wow, man, that final shot with that diver and that big whale... Gives me shivers.
Great footage.

Denis OKeefe November 22nd, 2008 08:28 AM

how are you getting from camera to projection?

The pictures from these EX-1 cameras are wonderful, without a doubt, I love the look when I plug into the HD monitor, or play back from the sxs cards. Projects put up on exposure room, vimeo look great on my computer but I can't imagine them on a 52 inch screen.
I don't yet have a blu ray burner or player, and as far as I know I can't edit a project in the native EX codec then write it back to the camera or deck to play it in full hd glory.
How are you exhibiting the edited video - which format, codec, deck, etc? I'd love to show off some footage in real HD but this seems to be the missing link.

Darek Sepiolo November 22nd, 2008 09:00 AM

Thx Herminio, I was pretty lucky :)

Denis, I use Final Cut for editing. The native EX format is rendered as Apple ProRes422. I took my Mac Pro to the theater and get it connected to the projector with Black Magic Intensity Pro via component cable. It worked as easy as with any HD monitor.

Btw: thw screen was 50 feet wide.

Denis OKeefe November 22nd, 2008 05:55 PM

thanks Darek, and by the way your pictures are spectacular, I wish I had an opportunity to see them on that big screen.

Giroud Francois November 23rd, 2008 04:46 AM

it is very impressive to have all this subtle blue without excessive banding.
Did you edit with that in mind ?

Piotr Wozniacki November 23rd, 2008 04:58 AM

Great pictures, Darek. Breathtaking !

Gratuluje rodakowi :)

Piotr

Paul Cronin November 23rd, 2008 09:57 AM

Spectacular footage and an excellent choice of music. Thank you for sharing with us.

Alister Chapman November 23rd, 2008 10:46 AM

For exhibition purposes I have been encoding to either XDCAM HD 4:2:2 or XDCAM HD 4:2:0 and writing to XDCAM HD discs then playing back using an XDCAM HD deck.

FCP Transfer tool version 2.8 will add write back to the camera and I will probably write my important projects back to SD cards.

Craig Seeman November 23rd, 2008 11:32 AM

I'd thought I'd mention "in home" HD use.

MacPro graphics card has two DVI outs. I take second out and use DVI to HDMI cable to my 46" 1080p HDTV. Clients can actually watch this monitor while I edit in FCP as it can send timeline out to HDTV real time. Once I do final ProRes export I can play that out to HDTV from Quicktime View/Present Movie . . .

Just thought I'd add this if you don't happen to have 50' screens available to you. I'd love to test this with a MacMini DVI to HDMI. For all those agonizing about going back to their SxS cards for portability, you can buy a MacMini for less than an SxS card.