Is it possible to obtain a smooth zoom with the supplied EX3 IR remote? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 25th, 2008, 04:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Is it possible to obtain a smooth zoom with the supplied EX3 IR remote?

Zooms with the my EX3 remote typically falter two or three times over the full zoom range. However if I use the zoom control on the grip or the zoom control on the handle I have no problems although at the lowest speed setting with the handle control zooming is a little hesitant. This hesitancy has been noted before. To check if the faltering can been seen in the output of the Remote’s IR led I watched the active led with my PD 150. (The PD 150 is sensitive to this wavelength of infrared whereas the EX3 is not). I could see no sign of faltering using this crude test and my question is, can I expect a smooth zoom if I use the remote?
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Distance of IR remote from EX3 is important for a smooth zoom!

I have answered my own question. If the distance between the remote and the EX3 is less than about 1.5 m the action starts to falter. The exact distance will no doubt will depend on reflections and angles of incidence etc.
Another limitation to the use of this remote is that the one and only sensor points forward. This limitation can be overcome by using a small reflector (aluminium works) placed strategically in front of sensor. For greater distances and where IR transmission may be blocked I am trying an IR remote extender circuit.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Alastair,

Just make up an "IR Remote to Sensor, by Fiberoptic cable" Mod. Do a search, I and other's have made this Mod for yrs. Will allow what you want.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds