best UV/protective filter to fit under the lens hood - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 28th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #16
Inner Circle

The 486 must be the outermost one in the chain (I'm going to buy a 4x5.65" one for the IR problem, once a confirmed solution exists).
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #17
Regular Crew

The max filter depth would be the B&W f-pro I suggested in the previous reply. You can check the spec. Thicker than this would start to dig into the hood. Just make sure the hood clamping screw is loosened all the way when putting the hood on with the filter mounted. You can loosen the screw as far as it will go. It has a stop and won't come off.

I would always leave the filter on if it's of high quality, with or without mattebox, except when obviously when mounting accessories direct to the lens bayonet. The anti reflective coating will resist most glare. If I'm going for the purist image then I would conduct tests before taking it off. A cheap filter of course will cause more aberration.

Clear filters are indispensable. A bare lens doesn't cut UV when you're outdoors and it only takes one scratch or unwipeable spec to degrade your image more than any clear filter cheap or expensive ever could. Nobody has 100% control over any environment.

Good luck.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #18
Inner Circle

OK, I'm decided to go with one. Since I have no previous experience with specific brands, which of the following two would you recommend:

- Hoya UV HMC SUPER Pro1 77mm (cheaper some $30 in Poland(sic), 3mm thick, aluminium), or

- B+W 77 010 UV-Haze 1x MRC (more expensive, brass ring, heavier)

Any comments welcome.

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; May 29th, 2009 at 03:51 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
if I leave such a filter on camera permanently, would it conflict with some special filters in my matte box, like e.g. the circular polarizer?...that the main purpose is to have some protective glass on my camera lens at all times -
I've used the Tiffen circular polariser with the Tiffen Digital HT Ultra Clear and results are very clean, but I often switch the filters rather than stacking them to reduce the amount of glass. But you won't be able to keep using the lens hood with either scenario, as both filters are too thick for the hood to fit over. In fact, even just the polariser is too thick. (Anyone found a circular polariser thin enuf to use with the lens hood?)
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:28 AM   #20
Inner Circle

You've missed my point, Mike - I want to keep the UV on the lens permanently, and use other filters in my matte box.

So, of course I'm only planning ONE filter under the stock lens hood, when shooting with the camera alone...
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:28 AM   #21
Inner Circle

So, any advice on my choosing dilemma between:

- Hoya UV HMC SUPER Pro1 77mm (cheaper some $30 in Poland (sic !), 3mm thick, aluminium), or

- B+W 77 010 UV-Haze 1x MRC (more expensive, brass ring, heavier)

TIA.
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:11 PM   #22
Major Player

Ah, I see.
Can't help you with the filter recommends as I've only used Tiffen.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds