DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   officially an owner (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/138497-officially-owner.html)

Ian Planchon November 26th, 2008 02:26 PM

officially an owner

I just recieved my ex3 today....its gonna take some getting used to, but so far its amazing.
cant wait to really understand all the functions so I can start using them to their fullest potential.

what would everyone recomend I really focus on learning? I havent used a sony camera in a while, and I am coming from the HD100.

Vincent Oliver November 26th, 2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Planchon (Post 969380)
what would everyone recomend I really focus on learning?

Take the camera out and start shooting with it, :-)

you will soon be familiar with all the controls

Tito Haggardt November 26th, 2008 03:28 PM

vortex media

aloha
i bought the XDCAM EX DVD by vortex media on ebay before i ordered the camera.
i was happy with the walk through and the workflow information.
tito

Chad Hucal November 26th, 2008 04:36 PM

I completely recommend the Vortex DVD. It's $100 but if you are new to HD and tapeless works flow, this DVD will get you up to speed much faster than on your own. Well worth it.

Ian Planchon November 26th, 2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Hucal (Post 969424)
I completely recommend the Vortex DVD. It's $100 but if you are new to HD and tapeless works flow, this DVD will get you up to speed much faster than on your own. Well worth it.

not new to HD or tapeless workflow, just the sony setup. its just weird going from a jvc HD100, to this (a good weird though!).

Bob Jackson November 26th, 2008 09:43 PM

Congrats.
You have made a great purchase.Just sent some youtube type videos to the"network" and they were thrilled with the videos.

Ian Planchon November 26th, 2008 11:29 PM

im pretty excited. there are some things that seem a little weird. and some things I miss, apparently you cant monitor ONE channel of audio at a time without scrolling through some menus? the HD100 had a switch that was easy to flip back and forth. I loved that.

and speaking of menus, why is the video format burried so deep?

Ted OMalley November 27th, 2008 08:54 AM

You can use the assignable buttons to make some things easier to get to. Generally, you won't frequently switch video formats frequently - at least once you are working for a client. While "playing" and practicing, you'll probably switch them a lot! It becomes wrote, though - Menu, scroll all the way down, press in, scroll all the way down.

I use Assign 4 to delete last clip - that is useful.

I use Assign 2 (Brt Disp) to active the remote control receiver (turns itself off every power cycle).

Joachim Hoge November 28th, 2008 12:51 AM

I got mine yesterday as well. The one thing that annoyed me the most about the ex1 was how diffi hot it is to change the white balance from 3200 to 5600. No direct switch and you can't easily dail in the number you want either.
The ex3 has the same short comings. A real pain, but otherwise a great camera

Jay Gladwell November 28th, 2008 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge (Post 969877)
I got mine yesterday as well. The one thing that annoyed me the most about the ex1 was how diffi hot it is to change the white balance from 3200 to 5600. No direct switch and you can't easily dail in the number you want either.
The ex3 has the same short comings. A real pain, but otherwise a great camera

Joachim, perhaps I've misunderstood your comment, but I can easily switch from 3200 to 5600 on my EX3 without any problems using the white balance presets.

Joachim Hoge November 28th, 2008 08:45 AM

How?
I´m probably just missing something.
The fastest way I thought was to have to equal Picture Profiles, with just the white balance different, 3200 and 5600, and then switch between the 2.
I´m used to the broadcast cameras from Sony and they have a knob that changes the white balance in very quickly.
How do you do it?
Do you set up B as 5600 or what?
I´m eager to learn

Jason Davenport November 28th, 2008 10:20 AM

You can get a white balance inside for 32k on A or B and set your pre-set to 56k in PProfile, or vis versa. Then just use the switch.

Joachim Hoge November 28th, 2008 12:03 PM

But you have to actually set the 3200 white balance using something white and use the white balance button to store it in A or B?
Am I right or is it a faster way?

Alister Chapman November 28th, 2008 12:05 PM

I know what Joachim means. Some of the newer sony cameras like the F350 have a button on the side that switches the prst white balance between 3.2k and 5.6k without having to use picture profiles or menus.

I find that I normally have my prst set to 6k as this is normally OK doe most daylight situations. Indoors or under tungsten lighting I don't find the 3.2k preset to be all that useful as there is some much variation between different tungsten lamps.

Joachim Hoge November 28th, 2008 12:35 PM

Yes, I probably wasn´t that clear.
And it´s not a big problem, just a nuisance.
Guess the dialing in of the color temperature (without having to access menus) is the only thing I miss about my XL-H1 ;-)
I find I leave my outdoor white balance at either 5900 or 6300