FCP loosing 422 pro rez Color renders? Why?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 27th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP loosing 422 pro rez Color renders? Why?!

My workflow has been shoot 1080p 30fps XDcam into final cut pro - send sequences of 7-10 shots to color and return in pro-rez HD - add final effects from LOOKs and send to mpeg encoder for DVD. Now, I see a major bug in fcp. It seems to randomly start dropping color renders..

How do I re-connect? I keep restoring from earlier save... loosing my sound editing work, etc.. and when I do send 1 shot back to color sometimes (and not always) it undoes other rendered scenes from the Sequence. In other words, I fix 1 shot, and render 1 shot and return it to fcp... and it should replace and update it... half the time it does the other it undoes 2 other renders and wants me to render 3 shots now- back from color instead of 1.

Any ideas?
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Same effect here

Greg,
I know what you are talking about, have the same effect with FCP and "smoothcam". Drives me crazy, but no reaction from Apple so far...
It is apparently a bug in FCP or the combo you are working with.

I am working with FCP 6.05, QT 7.55,and Mac OS X 10.55, on a MacbookPro.
What are the details of your combo?
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 04:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Have you set the rendering encoder to ProRes422 and 10 bit?
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #4
Major Player

I assume not necessary for my Smoothcam problem. But I'll have a try and report the result.
Thx.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kraft View Post
Greg,
I know what you are talking about, have the same effect with FCP and "smoothcam". Drives me crazy, but no reaction from Apple so far...
It is apparently a bug in FCP or the combo you are working with.

I am working with FCP 6.05, QT 7.55,and Mac OS X 10.55, on a MacbookPro.
What are the details of your combo?
Yes, I have the same set up. Smoothcam has similar issues but not as bad. It seems if you add a new FX to a shot (sometimes) you will be forced to re-render smoothcam. This is different from it calculating smoothcam in the background. That seems to work and not disappear... but the actual render can disappear along with our Color renders.

I'll have a 20 minute sequence with 20 cuts all fully rendered grey. I will be working on one clip in close up - adjusting looks, etc... and then zoom out and suddenly there are 3 unrendered clips?! I then goto reload an earlier saved session. (I save every 5 mins since this is happening a lot). and then redue what I did... and it seems to be fine. This can also happen when I send a clip back to color (for more fixing) and then re-render that one clip out of the seq and then on the reimport - it will suddenly have 3 or 4 unrendered shots... I do this a 2nd time (after reverting to earlier save), and it does it just fine... Backed up sequences - does not help as they too loose their links. I wish color only updated one sequence links rather than all links to that shot... since the bug carries backwards... only way to fix is to go back to an earlier auto saved and loose your current work.

Worse is I can see the multiple color renders adding up 1 gig at a time... when all I want to do is re-attach the broken link/render?! Even editing sound, I can see my video get messed up, so I keep it locked all the time... and then when I do one video tweek... I always zoom out and check the whole sequence. Nesting Sequences is a pain, since you loose the visable edits in the timeline and the thumbnail pics. Also, if you want to re-send the shot back to color - you have to go back to the unnested seq.
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Sorry, but I do not have a clue what that might be about.

I'll post the question in a German language FCP forum and ask what
they think about it. I have downloaded a trial version of Shake to find
out if it shows the same snag. Can I post the link to that other forum
here?Not sure.

Chris, do you hear me? Thanx.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds