Loosing the ability to focus with Sony EX-3 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 14th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #61
Regular Crew

Simon, I donīt think your attic is at fault. If so, your attic must contain a hell of a lot of boxes... (even my box!) ;-) No, no, Sir! This one is on Sony for sure. Please let us hear how it goes? And please try to get some info from your service partner about other users having the same problem. When I talked to the local Sony representative he insisted that he never had heard about "my" problem before. He even checked the report status in Europe (at least thatīs what he said) and couldnīt find many EX-3s that had been on service. Amazing, isnīt it?

So where can we send our complaint? If we can get a few hundred users to sign, maybe Sony would react?

The best of luck with your EX-3, Simon!

-terje
Old December 14th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #62
Trustee

Right, the good news is that after going to the local football stadium and ripping down their floodlights for me to shine on my BF chart I finally managed to get the Auto FB adjust thing to work! It took a fair few goes though because while it kept giving me an "OK" message the focus was still ever so slightly off when I tried a creep zoom to test it on a large monitor.

I think I've nailed that little gremlin now. But that still doesn't solve the issue of manual focus sometimes not working. The issue with the zoom servo seems to be behaving itself now that the backfocus is done. However I still don't trust it. I'm going to be testing the bollocks off it tonight to see if it remember the backfocus setting and to see if I still get any issues. This camera is going to have to earn my trust big time, and at the moment it is on probation.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #63
Regular Crew

On probation? Really? It seems that youīve be quite unfortunate in your purchase, even compared to most people here in this thread. Keep us posted about your findings, Simon!
And best of luck with the trust-earning project...

-terje
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #64
Regular Crew

Having posted claim (in which I also made reference to this thread) to Sony Via mail on their support site last night, I recieved a phonecall from the UK this morning to find out what the problem is.( Iīm impressed)

The girl said sheīd pass my claim on to the Techies here in Germany.

she also gave me a German phone number, in case I wanted to get in touch with someone local.

Iīll call when I have a gap, if they donīt call me first.
Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Kenny, thatīs very good news. Please do inform Sony about the rest of us as well. This is an issue thy should take seriously. We want tools, not toys!
Iīm looking forward to hear how it goes. Best of luck!

-terje
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #66
Regular Crew

the ball is rolling

SO....
I called the German techieīs this morning 11:30 and was told that they donīt have anything to do with the EX3............and that any EX3 problems are dealt with in France.
The guy I spoke to however was pretty concerned and really wanted to help.
He took my details and the serial no. of my cam and said heīd pass them on..........

---------------------------------------------------------
(17:00)
I just got a call from another girl in the UK, who said that sheīd organise a pick-up for my cam. UPS will arrive with packaging material etc. on thursday.
If the driver has the time and I am around, he can take it with him straight away.
normally he would return the following day to pick up once Iīve had a chance to package it all safely.

She did say that there is new firmware coming from Japan soon, but is not sure what exactly it is supposed to fix.

I told her about this thread, but she said that they arenīt allowed to use any information from internet forums..............

------------------------------------------------------------
(17:22)
just got another call from the same girl, she has just spoken to the product manager of the EX series.
he informed her and she informed me that the firmware will be fixing the problem with the focus and that it should be out in the next few days..........

what she couldnīt tell me is how exactly we get the new fimware and whether weīll be able to load it up ourselves.........(they havenīt recieved instructions yet)
It apparently wasnīt possible to do it ones-self with the EX1.
She said sheīd call me personally as soon as she knows more about the firmware and whether my cam will need to go in or not.

in the meantime, she gave me the option of having the packaging sent to me, so it can all happen fast if the cam does need to go in for the upgrade.

so for the moment my cam will stay with me.

glad to be getting some answers though.
Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #67
Inner Circle

Great info. Thanks Kenny.
Old December 16th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Kenny, Iīm really happy to hear that Sony is responding the way they do, and thanks for sharing. Hopefully youīll have something to report back in a week or two? Best of luck with your EX-3!

-terje
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #69
Trustee

Quote:
On probation? Really? It seems that youīve be quite unfortunate in your purchase, even compared to most people here in this thread. Keep us posted about your findings, Simon!
And best of luck with the trust-earning project...
Well, I got my replacement EX3 no questions asked from H Prestons. They really bent over backwards for me the last couple of days despite being totally overrun by Christmas orders and whatever else. I can't thank them enough.

Anyway, the new camera, touch wood, appears to be behaving itself. I received a couple of new Kensington 7 in 1's, just waiting for some cards I ordered. Though I intend to order some additional Express adaptors from our Aussie mate in a couple of weeks.

I think I might sell my J17 while it can still get something and get a decent 2/3" HD lens that I can use on both my 510 and the EX3.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Simon, you got a replacement camera? Thatīs great! I hope itīll turn out just fine. I guess the different countries (or dealers?) have their own strategy on how to deal with warrenty issues? I probably have to spend $ 500-800 to send the EX-3 in. I made the stupide decision to buy the EX-3 while visiting New York. Not all decisions are made in heaven. Apparently.

-terje

Last edited by Terje Rian; December 16th, 2008 at 07:12 PM. Reason: I missed a word here and there. Itīs late over here.
Terje Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #71
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cowburn View Post
just got another call from the same girl... she informed me that the firmware will be fixing the problem with the focus and that it should be out in the next few days...what she couldnīt tell me is how exactly we get the new firmware and whether weīll be able to load it up ourselves... She said sheīd call me personally as soon as she knows.
Great news Kenny. We thank you for being so diligent.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #72
Major Player

Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje Rian View Post
Simon, you got a replacement camera? Thatīs great! I hope itīll turn out just fine. I guess the different countries (or dealers?) have their own strategy on how to deal with warrenty issues? I probably have to spend $ 500-800 to send the EX-3 in. I made the stupide decision to buy the EX-3 while visiting New York. Not all decisions are made in heaven. Apparently.

-terje
NY? You're not the only one. But in my defense, at the time, there was nowhere in the Caribbean to buy an EX3 (not sure that there is now either). Now based in Yorkshire, England for the moment.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #73
Major Player

A New Hope.

Kenny, your update gives me renewed hope that this focusing issue will be resolved soon. Hopefully Sony will trust EX users to update their own firmware from now on.

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 05:06 AM   #74
Inner Circle

Simon, any sign of this focus glitch with your new (replacement) EX3?
Old December 21st, 2008, 05:19 AM   #75
Major Player

I have been told by a Sony source that EX3s will be shipping from the factory in the new year with updated firmware that clears up various issues.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds