Sony Service: Procedure for sending a camera in? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 27th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony Service: Procedure for sending a camera in?

Thanks to your feedback I am going to send my camera in. It is 11 months old, is there a one year warranty? What is the procedure? I have paint that has come off and very soft focus. Who do I contact?

Thanks,

Mervin
Mervin Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Not sure about the USA but here in Europe it runs as follows...

1. Phone Sony Premiere Support who say they will send you a box to return the camera in which they will collect the next day until you mention that the external mic holder is snapped off, at which point they say they can't and won't help you

2. Return camera to Sony dealer to get aformentioned mic holder replaced

3. Contact Premier Support again by phone, asking them to send the box to your work address because you won't be at home. Spend 5 minutes painfully giving the details of the work address while the one-digit typist enters it. Follow up the phone call with an email repeating the details.

4. Spend day at work wondering why box for camera hasn't arrived, return home to find UPS "We tried to deliver and you weren't in" card.

5. Phone UPS and arrange delivery to the address you wanted it sent to in the first place. Three days later it still hasn't arrived there.

6. As precaution email Premier Support again stressing that they've completely ignored all instructions they'd agreed to and if you ever DO recieve the box for sending the camera can they please make sure they return the camera to the correct address. Receive automated reply saying your query is being dealt with and then wait 3 more days for another email or phone call which never arrives.

To be continued (for some reasons the words "Sony" "piss-up" and "brewery" keep coming to mind)....
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Have you really been waiting until someone points you to the Sony website? If you're registered on ServicePlus, you can create an online request here: Sony PMWEX1 Repair or Maintenance Service Request

Also see the Sony Pro site: Sony | Send in Repair | Expedite Your Repair Time

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Ian sorry you have had so much trouble. For me so far Prime Support have been giving good service. I have sent back one EX1 camera for firmware upgrade,paint etc and it was returned in a few days. Just had Prime Support ring me to check all was ok. I said yes but had forgotten to tell them about LCD coming very loose, the reply was they perhaps should have noticed it and don't hesitate to send it in again. I was dreading a job's worth attitude on this topic so hopefully I can now get it fixed easily.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

They actually fix the paint that has come off?
Tuomas Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Sony replaced the back panel as the paint does not rub off anymore. As it was an early model they fixed everything (but not the silly hinged cover on the I/O sockets that came off the first time I opened it). All the niggles have gone it is now a lovely camera to own. Pictures are unbeatable at the price point in my opinion.
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #7
Major Player

Until recently Sony had very few locations doing the EX1 upgrades/repairs (only one in Australia), but now in this country they are being done by local Sony authorised service agencies. Much more convenient. I've no idea how it works elsewhere but might be worthwhile enquiring whether your local guys are up to speed.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervin Langley View Post
Thanks to your feedback I am going to send my camera in. It is 11 months old, is there a one year warranty? What is the procedure? I have paint that has come off and very soft focus. Who do I contact?

Thanks,

Mervin
Mervin:

In the US, you must call Sony first at 866-766-9272 and they will fax or email a Service Request Form to you. You fill that out and send the camera to the indicated address on the form (depending which service center is closest to you) along with a copy of your invoice to prove its still under 1 year warranty.

You must pay to ship to them :( but Sony pays return shipping (on warranty work).

I just sent my one month old camera in for the same reason - super soft focus. I guess they have not yet worked out all of the backfocus bugs even on the newer cameras (and yes, I did the BF calibration in the srevice menu before I sent it in).
Brian Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 02:43 AM   #9
Major Player

I don't mean to rub it in but Sony UK seem to have got their act together. My EX1 went in for firmware upgrade last Tuesday and was returned to my office on Friday afternoon by UPS. So Sony Pencoed get full marks from me.
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:13 AM   #10
Trustee

Sony in Pencoed in Wales also fixed my camera.
I actually took my camera there myself and waited while they fixed it.
1 hour wait and a cup of coffee.
Excellent service.

Paul.
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:20 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mills View Post
Mervin:

In the US, you must call Sony first at 866-766-9272 and they will fax or email a Service Request Form to you. You fill that out and send the camera to the indicated address on the form (depending which service center is closest to you) along with a copy of your invoice to prove its still under 1 year warranty.

You must pay to ship to them :( but Sony pays return shipping (on warranty work).

I just sent my one month old camera in for the same reason - super soft focus. I guess they have not yet worked out all of the backfocus bugs even on the newer cameras (and yes, I did the BF calibration in the srevice menu before I sent it in).
That is the exact procedure I went through when my F350 required warranty work. My only complaint about the whole thing is that they returned the camera (repaired) without notifying me it was on its way back. Had I not noticed the FedEx truck coming down the street as I was pulling away, I would have missed the delivery.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:56 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
1 hour wait and a cup of coffee.
Excellent service.
You're obviously not a big coffee drinker like me Paul ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Had I not noticed the FedEx truck coming down the street as I was pulling away, I would have missed the delivery.
I'm sure they would not have binned the package but rather try to deliver it the next day...

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #13
Regular Crew

An update....

7. Box arrives at originally stated address but a week later nobody's collected it. Ring Sony Premier Support who insist UPS were given the correct work address (so what? they magically figured out my home address by themselves? I don't think so!) Premier Support advise that they have received the camera 2 days ago. I say "Great well return it when it's fixed and I'll just hang on to the one that's still here in reception waiting to be collected".

8. 3 days later UPS roll up to collect box. Phone Sony Premier Support again to confirm that the camera has been collected for real this time and that it must be returned to the (work) address it was collected from. Am assured that there will be no slip-up on addresses this time.

9. Thank God that the flu means I'm at home when UPS deliver the fixed camera to the incorrect home address, contrary to what has been agreed in umpteen phone calls and email addresses.

This would be funny if I hadn't seen it all coming. I know I should be happy that I now have a new backplate (no peeling paint), fixed backfocus problems and reduction in battery drainage issues, but it's cost me a fortune in time and effort. I sincerely hope that the upcoming Sony redundancies include the complete time wasters at Sony Premier Support who are responsible for this complete and utter shambles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Smith View Post
Not sure about the USA but here in Europe it runs as follows...

1. Phone Sony Premiere Support who say they will send you a box to return the camera in which they will collect the next day until you mention that the external mic holder is snapped off, at which point they say they can't and won't help you

2. Return camera to Sony dealer to get aformentioned mic holder replaced

3. Contact Premier Support again by phone, asking them to send the box to your work address because you won't be at home. Spend 5 minutes painfully giving the details of the work address while the one-digit typist enters it. Follow up the phone call with an email repeating the details.

4. Spend day at work wondering why box for camera hasn't arrived, return home to find UPS "We tried to deliver and you weren't in" card.

5. Phone UPS and arrange delivery to the address you wanted it sent to in the first place. Three days later it still hasn't arrived there.

6. As precaution email Premier Support again stressing that they've completely ignored all instructions they'd agreed to and if you ever DO recieve the box for sending the camera can they please make sure they return the camera to the correct address. Receive automated reply saying your query is being dealt with and then wait 3 more days for another email or phone call which never arrives.

To be continued (for some reasons the words "Sony" "piss-up" and "brewery" keep coming to mind)....
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Happier News

Not sure if it's a result of the post above or not but today I received an email offering me a free 3 month extension on my Prime Support because "following a recent review of repair activity" the support given on this repair was regarded as "below [what is considered] satisfactory".

I'm rather concerned that the same email tells me the firmware was upgraded, given that had already been done (to v1.11) by my local dealer, but I have the camera back now and the problems I was concerned about now appear to all be fixed with new side and front panels and new power circuit boards :)

Apparently they also fitted a new strap and replaced the XDCAM label - not sure why and I hadn't even noticed.
Old December 19th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Teaneck NJ turnaround time

Sony turnaround time at Teaneck NJ.
Needed firmware update and wanted to get battery drain and worn of letters on back dealt with.

Drove my EX1 to Teaneck NJ on December 5 and told typical turnaround 10 days. It's now 10 business days and the circuit board for battery drain is STILL on back order (coming from "overseas" so my guess Japan). Gosh you'd think they'd be able to express them (probably MANY cameras waiting). Customs can't take that long.

I'm sorry to say but this is very slow service given that they had to know they'd be needing that circuit board. Maybe production/parts can't keep up with demand.

I just thought DVInfo folks would want to know the turnaround is still beyond 10 days at Teaneck, NJ.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds