EX1, MBP and MXO2 Questions, Such as DVCPro and ProRes Capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 30th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Major Player

EX1, MBP and MXO2 Questions, Such as DVCPro and ProRes Capture

Anyone out there using the MXO2 with this setup at all? I'm very curious. I've seen some say that you can capture Prores 422 with a MCP (I have a 2.6 + 4GB RAM) just not HQ. I've heard other accounts that you cannot. What about XDCAM 50 with the new 4:2:2? And lastly, what are people's thoughts on capture into DVCPro HD as opposed to XDCAM with the MXO2?

I have a big shoot in a week and I'm seriously considering the MXO2 versus a mini converter because of the added value. I guess my biggest question though, is it worth it if I am just running a MBP? I edit with a SATA RAID setup at home with it so it would obviously have an impact on how I approach workflow a bit.
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Major Player

MXO2 is an excellent device. I have been using it since before I could even admit I was using it.

You cannot capture real time in ProRes on a MacBook Pro. Real time ProRes capture requires a quad-core chip minimum. Anyone who told you that does not know the product. You can capture DVCPRO HD. I presume you are asking this because it is your intent to go SDI from the camera directly into the MXO2 and then into computer for obtaining 10-bit 4:2:2 footage.

If you have already recorded to cards, might as well work with file based footage since once the footage has been written to SxS, it is already compressed. Playing it out of SDI will not give you uncompressed 4:2:2.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Ned, what I was looking at it for was for on set acquisition. Can you tell me a little more about how you're using it in your workflow? Have you captured full DVCPro HD off of it and what are your thoughts of it? The project I'll be shooting needs to have plenty of room to work with the color in post so the more I can get out of my EX1 on this one, the better off I'll be.
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hughes View Post
Thanks Ned, what I was looking at it for was for on set acquisition. Can you tell me a little more about how you're using it in your workflow? Have you captured full DVCPro HD off of it and what are your thoughts of it? The project I'll be shooting needs to have plenty of room to work with the color in post so the more I can get out of my EX1 on this one, the better off I'll be.
I've captured DVCPRO HD from it going SDI from Camera to MXO2 to FCP using capture now, uncontrollable device. An external FW800 drive should be fine for capturing DVCPRO HD.

You really have no reasonable option with the MXO2 and a MBPro other than DVCPRO HD. I do not think its resolution is as good as ProRes but you will certainly have more latitude with color than 4:2:0 footage, although I must say that XDCAM codec footage holds up amazingly well.

The IoHD does a real time transcode to ProRes 422 (both standard and HQ) but it is $3K more than the MXO2.

But in the final analysis, the uncompressed footage from the EX is gorgeous and I don't think you will be disappointed with DVCPRO HD.

But, before committing yourself to this, test it first. Capture in DVCPRO HD on your MBPro. Connect the MXO2 to your MacPro (you know you get both interfaces) and capture both ProRes and uncompressed 10-bit, presuming your raid can handle it. Work with the footage and export a sample in your desired delivery medium. See how it looks.

Ned
Old December 1st, 2008, 08:29 AM   #5
Major Player

MXO 2 live acquisition

I have a similar need coming up, a four camera shoot switched through a sony anycast. I want to use the hdsdi slots, (record sxs in camera) and record the live HDSDI switched feed. I also need to record 16x9 sd. The composite output from the switcher will run to the client projector in another room, and
Will the matrox allow me to record hdsdi as quicktime hd or dvcprohd on a macbook pro, as well as a standard def output to a dv deck? In other words, two live outputs - firewire and sd.
Or maybe two firewire outs - one HD to the macbook and one SD i link to a deck?
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 08:41 AM   #6
Major Player

First of all, the MXO2 does not have firewire out nor does the IoHD, in fact. I also do not believe you can stream both HD and SD downrez simultaneously from the MXO2. I'll double-check this, though, a bit later. IoHD would allow simultaneous HD and SD but you would need component or SDI deck. Its only firewire connection is the FW800 to the computer.

Ned
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:07 AM   #7
Major Player

Upon further research, I can determine that the SDI and component outputs of MXO2 are independent. That would allow you to output HD on the SDI and SD on the component outs.

Ned
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:52 AM   #8
Major Player

sounds like this will work

Thanks Ned, it sounds like I can run the HDSDI out of the switcher to the mxo2, then into the macbook to record dvcpro HD, and run the SD component out to a deck.
I'll have a chance to try it our Wednesday, thanks for the information
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:57 AM   #9
Major Player

I actually just talked to Matrox and they confirmed that one for you Denis. Said with a MBP you can capture SD Prores HQ, DVCPro HD but that is about it. FCP is unable to capture XDCAM since its MP4.
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:03 PM   #10
Major Player

You don't capture XDCAM; you ingest it and FCP rewraps as a .mov QT file in XDCAM codec.

The whole purpose of going SDI out of the EX cameras is in live shots to obtain uncompressed 4:2:2 footage in whatever codec your machine/storage can handle OR to use with the Convergent-Design boxes to capture MPEG 4:2:2.
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:20 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
I do not think its resolution is as good as ProRes but you will certainly have more latitude with color than 4:2:0 footage, although I must say that XDCAM codec footage holds up amazingly well.
Ned
Lattitude is governed by the camera front end and not the codec, unless it is a particularly bad implementation of the codec. Given that the heavily subsampled 4:2:2 (1280x1080) of DVCPRO HD only has 30% more chroma information and 50% less luminance information than the Mpeg2 from an EX there really isn't that much difference. On a big, full resolution monitor the DVCPRO HD will look soft compared to the same shot done with an EX.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds