DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Two simple aids to hand holding the EX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/138741-two-simple-aids-hand-holding-ex3.html)

Alastair Traill November 30th, 2008 11:57 PM

Two simple aids to hand holding the EX3

I find it very difficult to handhold the EX3 as it comes from the box. For me the major problem is the torsion caused by the location of the grip to the right. To counter this I have added a handle on the left side of the camera in the form of a tube. This tube is parallel to axis of the lens with its centre at about the same height as the base of the camera. The tube can either be held by the left hand or loosely supported by the angle between thumb and forefinger. If it is loosely supported fingers and thumb can be used to tweak focus, zoom etc. I have also made a light-weight extension to the shoulder pad which can be added or removed in seconds without tools. The combination of extra handle and shoulder pad extension is a great step in the right direction. I would include pictures but I note I may not post attachments.

Andy Wilkinson December 1st, 2008 03:23 AM

I think...(and I may be wrong!) you should be able to post pictures if you open the advanced options at the bottom of the additional options box (the one below the reply to thread box). Then it's the Manage Attachments bit.

Not sure as you're new (so welcome!) and maybe this access only comes after a time. I for one would sure love to see the pics!

Alister Chapman December 1st, 2008 04:03 AM

Have you tried using the EX3's included cheek pad? It helps stop the camera twisting to the left.

Alastair Traill December 1st, 2008 04:53 AM

Hi Andy, I have a miscellaneous options box that does not provide for posting pictures.

Alastair Traill December 1st, 2008 05:27 AM

No Alister, I have not tried the cheek pad, it looks fiddly and does not seem to have many fans. The second grip spreads the weight evenly between the two hands and does away with the twisting completely as well as making tweaking easier. At the moment the second handle is attached to the tripod mount just to test the idea. I feel that if handled roughly the four closely spaced 2 mm screws holding this mount could be unduly strained. I am working on a new mounting system as I like to use a fluid head that mounts to the side of the camera so that the axis of tilt aligns with the centre of gravity of the camera. This works well for low-level work and has other advantages for me also. I will incorporate the attachment of the second handle into the new mount.

Chris Hurd December 1st, 2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair Traill (Post 970999)
I have a miscellaneous options box that does not provide for posting pictures.

Hi Alastair, please check again, I have checked your account to insure that you can now post pictures. Look for a "Manage Attachments" box below the text input field when you make a post. You might need to log out and back in again for these changes to take effect. Let me know if you're still having trouble.

Arild Pedersen December 1st, 2008 11:28 AM

from ACU-14 to a tube

When I first time had the VCT-14 tripod plate on my EX3, I discovered that my wrist ended at the end of this plate and my fingersonto the focus ring. A tube could be the final solution. Nice!

Alister Chapman December 1st, 2008 01:24 PM

You should give the cheek pad a go. It makes a big difference to the stability of the camera.

David C. Williams December 2nd, 2008 04:27 AM

I find my EX3 easy to shoulder when you support the front mostly with the left hand. Use the thumb on focus and little finger on iris, and the other supporting where it feel comfortable. That way you have two hands holding the front, and it's quite stable even without any addons.

Glynn Morgan February 11th, 2009 08:37 AM

Yeah i have a huge problem with this

I am a small guy, and I find the big grip hard enough - let alone the large amount of weight that seems to be put upon the grip and the grips connection to the lens. Surely this can't be good for the camera? Are lenses THAT tough?

(When i stabilize with the left hand, I can avoid the grip issue, but what am I to do when I adjust my settings or viewfinder?

Erik Phairas February 11th, 2009 09:27 AM

I'm a big guy 6'4" 280lbs. I rotate the grip at about 45 degrees and keep the pad retracted. I didn't like all the weight being out too far. With the pad retracted I rest my cheek on the camera itself... Plus I rarely use the eyepiece I like looking at the screen directly.

That's how I roll. :)

pics!!