DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Calibrated{Q} XD codec to view XCAM and HDV files on Mac and PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/138871-calibrated-q-xd-codec-view-xcam-hdv-files-mac-pc.html)

Peter Kraft December 3rd, 2008 07:06 AM

Calibrated{Q} XD codec to view XCAM and HDV files on Mac and PC

Just recently found the Calibrated{Q} XD Decode is a multi-threaded QuickTime Codec(Decode Only) that enables you to view QuickTime XDCAM HD , XDCAM EX, and HDV Movies(.MOV Files Only) in QuickTime Player and other 3rd party applications that support QuickTime.

Calibrated{Q} XD Decode supports the following Apple .MOV encoded files:
HDV: 1080i30, 1080i25, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30, 720p60, 720p50, 720p24, 720p25, 720p30
XDCAM HD (35Mb VBR): 1080i30, 1080i25, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30
XDCAM EX: 1080i30, 1080i25, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30, 720p60, 720p50, 720p24, 720p25, 720p30
XDCAM HD 422: 1080i30, 1080i25, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30, 720p60, 720p50

The codec is cross plattform and allows to view EX footage via QT both on Mac and PC.
Such my friends and clients can view my HDV and EX files on their Macs and PCs
without any hassle.

Link for download and more information: Calibrated Software

Hope this helps P.

Paul Cronin December 3rd, 2008 07:53 AM

Peter this software works great. I use Mac Pro and Final Cut and one of my clients uses Avid Media Composer. I send him full size QuickTime files (XDCAM EX1 1080P 30P HQ) and he wraps it with out any loss.

Now that I have the Flash XDR I plan on sending him the XDCAM HD 422 in full size Quicktime.

Seems like a good choice for the price.

Peter Kraft December 3rd, 2008 02:47 PM

Paul unfortunately not many people understand what this codec is for and what it means for an easy and comfortable workflow in a XCDCAM EX world.

Chris try to get their banner on one of your pages :-)

Bill Ravens December 3rd, 2008 04:12 PM

I'm one of those people who just don't get it. I d/l'ed the CalibratedQ codec and just can't figure out how to get QTime to playback EX1 files. Calibrated's website really offers very little in the way of a user guide. This codec looks more like XDCAM HD not XDCAM EX.

Paul Cronin December 3rd, 2008 04:51 PM

Bill i have not used the software but one of my clients was impressed how easy it was to go from .mov to .mxf. If you like I would be glad to send you his contact by email since both of you use Avid Media Composer?

Bill Ravens December 3rd, 2008 04:54 PM

Paul...

Thanx. I'm more interested in getting mxf to play on QT, especially with a gamma correction.

Paul Cronin December 3rd, 2008 05:09 PM

OK thought I would offer. I will check with him and if he has this solved I will let you know.

Paul Cronin February 4th, 2009 07:35 AM

Bill did you get this to work? I have a second client (Avid Editors) with 20 editors and they can't get my QT EX1 files to play and are in a rush for a TV show. I have suggested CalibratedQ codec but they said no.

What other options do I have to get them to see the EX1 clips?

I have sent QT full size from FC. And QT full size from QT in XDCAM EX1 native codec 1080p 30p HD.

I have a conference call with them this afternoon to solve the problem. Do not want to loose a very good client. By the way they say they do not like XDCAM at all.

Bill Ravens February 4th, 2009 07:46 AM

Paul..

I never got this to work properly on a PC. There are a number of PC based options, however. For playback, someone referred my to Sony's free PDZ-VX10 Viewer software. I think this software is also available in MacOS.

For import and editing, my cross platform choice is Cineform or BitJazz's SHEER. Both are very hi-quality intermediates, not necessarily for playback, tho'.

Hope this helps you out.
best regards

Jay Gladwell February 4th, 2009 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1006342)
By the way they say they do not like XDCAM at all.

DISCLAIMER: This is a blatant example of sticking one's nose in where it doesn't belong.

Based on what your client said, Paul, that tells me they're still operating in the dark ages and don't want to or are afraid to move forward. It sounds as though they are too deeply intrenched.

Sony hosted an online expo a couple of weeks ago where four professional DPs discussed this topic. The bottom line was they have had to act as educators as well as DPs to get the old-line post folks to see the glories of solid-state shooting, more importantly it's benefits in post. Once they "see" it, they are not too intersted in going back to tape.

Paul Cronin February 4th, 2009 08:23 AM

Bill I will look into your suggestions. Also I loaded the Avid DHxHD codec into Quicktime and it seems to export fine at the same quality with a few options. They now have that to choose from and I will have to see. It would be great if I could FTP a sample to them with the Avid QT codec.

Jay I do not disagree with what you are saying. They told me just solve the problem and send the footage on HDCAM tape. Oh well I can't do that since I do not have a HDCAM deck and with monthly footage being sent we need to solve the problem If you knew who it was you would be shocked. But that will stay confidential because it does not help anyone.

I guess when you frequent forums like DVinfo.net, it puts you ahead of most IF you push to learn daily. Besides the edit house is overloaded with work and I am sure they do not have a free minute in the day. Now back to solving the problem. Please no more they are wrong lets keep it positive and move forward.

Bill Ravens February 4th, 2009 08:28 AM

Paul...

I guess I have a mental block against DNxHD. It's perfectly suitable. I will offer the warning, however, to be careful of the imported luma values. DNxHD seems to not always get it right. Avid to Avid seems to get it right, but Avid to AE, for example, is problemattic.

Jay Gladwell February 4th, 2009 08:49 AM

Paul, I didn't say they were "wrong". I said they were behind the times. If they refuse to keep up, they will soon have all the time in the world to do whatever they want.

Paul Cronin February 4th, 2009 09:01 AM

Bill since Avid codecs are new to me I am only going by what they asked for which was:
Quick time Format
59.94 /1080i
1920x1080 frame size
Preferred codec Avid DNxHD 220 (or 145)

Here are the options that DHxHD in QT offer.
Options:
Avid DHxHD codec
Color 709 or RGB

Alfa:
None
Compressed
Uncompressed

Resolution
1080i/59.94 DHxHD 220 10-bit
1080i/59.94 DHxHD 220 8-bit
1080i/59.94 DHxHD 145 8-bit

1080i/59.94 DHxHD-TR 145 8-bit

Sorry Jay that is the way I took it but I get you point they will fall behind in time.

Greg Booth February 4th, 2009 01:25 PM

"I never got this to work properly on a PC."

Hi Bill,

Just checking in - what couldnt you get to work? Once you install it - you should be able to open and view QuickTime XDCAM HD, XDCAM EX, and HDV .MOV files in QuickTime Player and other QuickTime enabled applications. The codec does not enable reading/opening of .MP4 XDCAM EX files if you were trying with that - it's only for QuickTime Movies compressed with XDCAM HD , XDCAM EX, or HDV. If you found a file that couldnt work with the Calibrated{Q} XD Decode codec, please let me know via info@calibratedsoftware.com and I can give you our ftp info where you can upload footage for us to investigate.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software