Using Warm Cards with your EX? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 8th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #16
Major Player

Using warm-cards will have a different effect than doing it in post, because:
-the gamma-curves are non-linear. So in post you would have to undo the gamma (= making it linear), change the the per-channel-gain (for making it warm), redo the gamma. But I guess it's very hard to do that accurately.
-the white-balance-per-channel-gain of the camera can cause clipping of the amplified channels. That lost information can't get restored in post.

So I guess it's a good idea to use warm-cards.
Dominik Seibold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #17
Major Player

Coming late to the party... Got a set of WarmCards version 2 a few weeks ago. Have done a couple of "event video" shoots with gastly overhead office fluorescents. Got rid of the (pale skinned) January tan.

While I agree with fixing things in post, if you've got a job that you want off your plate ASAP it sure is a nice tools to have. Having used it I would call it "essential".
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #18
Regular Crew

My first real shoot with the cards will be next weekend (who schedules an event for Valentines Day?!?) but with the tests I've done to-date, they've been nothing short of phenomenal. I love the ability to decide on a warm card, balance, check, then "upping" the warmth on the fly using another card if I'd like it a little warmer (or cooler if needed).

The best part is (I believe - haven't been here yet with the cards) when you need to turn around a DVD of the event footage with timecode burn for the client, it looks good without any additional processing. I don't even need to pull it into FCP to turn that around - just dump the RAW QT-wrapped footage into compressor, add the timecode burn, and I'm done - that means saved time and not having to convince the client that what they're looking at isn't necessarily representative of the final product - it's closer to good and it doesn't create an issue...
Ryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #19
Major Player

I just received my Vortex Warm Cards, I'm excited to try them out! Although I know it's all a matter of personal taste, but for those who use Vortex Warm Cards do you have a favorite warm card reference for indoor interview skin tones? 1/4, 1/2, 1, or 2? I'm just curious what others think... I have zippo experience with interviews and I have some coming up. I know for outside nature stuff I like the warm look, makes it look richer and less video-y to me.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #20
Vortex Media

Hi Buck,

Thanks for buying a set of WarmCards, I hope you love them.
I usually shoot with Warm 1 and sometimes a Warm 1/2.
When in doubt, I say use #1

Doug
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #21
Major Player

Super gracias, Doug!

- El Bucko
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Hi Buck,

Thanks for buying a set of WarmCards, I hope you love them.
I usually shoot with Warm 1 and sometimes a Warm 1/2.
When in doubt, I say use #1

Doug
Hi doug, i am a bit new to the warm cards, it would be good if you can post a small youtube video on how to get the best out of the warm cards, i mainly film wedding, so i would like to use my set of warm cards(during ceremony and reception setups) i purchased a set last week from you.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #23
Major Player

Over the past few months, I have shot indepth interviews of almost 70 people, all interiors, and many in crummy, empty meeting rooms in hotels. The warm cards have been a life saver. I love them and would not live without them. You cannot duplicate what these warm cards do in post. I would say that, on this project, the warm cards, Tiffen filters, and Chimera window patterns, have enhanced my scenes beyond what I could describe here.
CHIMERA Window Patterns
http://vortexmedia.com/WC_VIDEO.html

Last edited by Brian Barkley; May 13th, 2009 at 06:19 AM.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:53 AM   #24
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bale View Post
Hi doug, i am a bit new to the warm cards, it would be good if you can post a small youtube video on how to get the best out of the warm cards, i mainly film wedding, so i would like to use my set of warm cards(during ceremony and reception setups) i purchased a set last week from you.
Hi Robert,

I see your point that it might useful to post a video. In fact, I probably should have done it 8 years ago. Maybe later this summer. There's absolutly no time on the schedule right now to stop and put something together of quality.

I do have a WarmCards tutorial on my "How to Setup, Light, and Shoot Great Looking Interviews" DVD, but I don't think it would stand on it's own as an excerpt. I'll have to check.
Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

Here's a couple of reasons why I haven't made careating a video a priority.

First, the cards are so simple to use there isn't much of a tutorial to be given. You choose a shade, hold it in front of the camera, press the WB button, and start shooting. It's basically that simple. The shade of card you choose is purely subjective, so I can't really help you there. You muist decide for yourself, and your choice will vary by subject, location, client preference, and the style of your video. The more warming you want, then the higher number you should use. A Warm 1 is stronger than a Warm 1/2 and vice versa.

Second, although the results that each shooter will get are consistent and predictable with their own camera, the results will vary a little from person to person and camera to camera. For example, a Warm 1 might look one way with my EX1 and my personal picture profile -- but it might look a little different with a HVX-200 and a totally different camera setup. Thus, we avoid the trap of showing people "this is what a Warm 1 will look like" -- because that is hard to quanitify.

So, if you want a quick tutorial, here it is: :-)

1) Choose the card that will give you the level of warming that YOU want with YOUR camera. When in doubt, go with Warm 1.

2) Hold the card in front of the camera, in the same lighting that you'll be shooting under, and white balance the camera just like you would with a regular white card.

Tha'ts it.

I'll see if we can post a tutorial on the website sometime this summer. It is a good idea and should have been done years ao.

Doug
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #25
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Barkley View Post
You cannot duplicate what these warm cards do in post.
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your endorsement of WarmCards. Same goes for the earlier guys who posted on this thread. That's the kind of feedback we hear over and over again.

I don't know if I would go so far as to say somebody couldn't duplicate the look in post because there's some pretty good software out there these days for that sort of thing. I know I cannot do it and it sounds like you can't either, but I'm sure it is possible.

The difference with WarmCards is that you won't have to waste time processing every shot and you won't have to wait while the filters render, etc.

Plus a lot of people don't edit their own footage, they pass it off to a client or editor. How will that footage be treated? Personally, I want my raw footage to look the way I want it to look when I shoot it and not have to wonder if someone else is going to fix it up for me. My reputation is on the line everytime I shoot. By using the right PP and the right WB and the right lens filters when I shoot, I have to filter less than 5% of all the footage I edit. I guess some people like to filter and tweak just about everything in post, but that is not a workflow I subscribe to. I've been shooting for almost 30 yeas, and during most of that time, once it was shot, it was done. I guess I'll never change that attitude.

Yes, there are other ways to trick the WB when you're shooting, but WarmCards are faster, easier (you're going to stop and WB anyway, right?), predictable so you don't need a monitor, durable, professional looking, and have been proven over and over again.

Doug
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Reuter View Post
All of the vortex cards have a "UNIWB" on the back ... I'll never use another inkjet sheet of paper again.
A heart-felt 'me to' on that one.

A while back I did a side by side test in various tricky WB settings (large office space with daylight, Fluorescents and tungsten all mixed together) using a blank bit of photocopier paper, some bits of paper on a white clipboard, the white card from the warm card set, and some other random bits of white (roll of gaffer, etc). In the group of five of us there, four of us agreed the white card was by far the best, and the fifth one was colour blind.

I've used it ever since with the exception of getting two or three cameras of the same make and model together, where I want consistency over accuracy.

I must admit I don't often (as in hardly ever) use the warm settings since switching to the EX1.
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Hi Robert,

I do have a WarmCards tutorial on my "How to Setup, Light, and Shoot Great Looking Interviews" DVD, but I don't think it would stand on it's own as an excerpt. I'll have to check.
Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

Doug
Hi Doug, yes i got that DVD the other week, and that is what prompted me to get a set of cards. Thanks for the info.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #28
Regular Crew

warm cards

I must admit I don't often (as in hardly ever) use the warm settings since switching to the EX1.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that there is no need to use the warm cards with the EX1?
Neil Dankoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:37 AM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Dankoff View Post
I must admit I don't often (as in hardly ever) use the warm settings since switching to the EX1.
Are you saying that there is no need to use the warm cards with the EX1?[/QUOTE]

Thats what I thought Matt meant as well.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #30
Trustee

I don't use the warm cards as I've got my PP set up just how I like it (with 'a hint of Fujichrome'). But I use the white card from the warm cards. That's been a constant part of my kit for a few years now.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds