Using Warm Cards with your EX? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Using Warm Cards with your EX?

Anyone using Warm Cards from Vortex with their EXs?

Are you happy with the results?

I would be using them for interviews and outdoor/nature videography.
Arthur Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I shoot clean and edit in post. Optionally, filter the lens. Warm cards simply skew the already weak blue channel to be more weak, introducing more noise. I'd rather use BLUE cards, and warm the image in post.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Hancock View Post

I am using the Vortex version 2.0 Warm Cards and am very happy with the results. Make sure you set your exposure properly before setting White Balance. So far I have not had to readjust in post, so a great time saver. Your mileage may vary. Cheers!
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:11 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
I'd rather use BLUE cards, and warm the image in post.
Hmm...
Good idea Perrone.
It's well known that the blue channel with video cameras in general are noisy.
By white balancing on the blue card, this should bring the blue channel gain down minimizing blue channel noise. The real question is - will the blue channel noise floor be brought back up when white balancing in post?

We'd have to experiment and compare.

I've heard of some white balancing through magenta filters to minimize the blue channel's gain.

Also, of course shooting using CTB or using daylight balanced bulbs.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:16 AM   #5
Inner Circle

VortexMedia Warm cards ARE BLUE.

Quote:
I shoot clean and edit in post. Optionally, filter the lens. Warm cards simply skew the already weak blue channel to be more weak, introducing more noise. I'd rather use BLUE cards, and warm the image in post.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:58 AM   #6
Trustee

Yes they would be since white balancing on those cards would decrease the blue channel gain .
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Better than Halle Berry

I use them with the EX1 and a lot of Panasonic cameras- totally rock the house (to the point we started selling them on my web store.) You get consistency and when you want to warm things up or cool them down- especially outdoors you get a look you can expect in post. Highly recommend.

-Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Hancock View Post

Yes, I am very happy with the results. The less "tweaking" done in post the better! Works really well with warming skin tones in interviews!
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:16 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Hmm...
It's well known that the blue channel with video cameras in general are noisy.
Are they noisy because of warmer white balances on 2700 or 3200K lights or do you know of another reason?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:37 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
Are they noisy because of warmer white balances on 2700 or 3200K lights or do you know of another reason?
Tungsten light doesn't have much "blue" in it, so when you white balance to tungsten, the camera must boost the blue (increase gain) to compensate. This increases noise in the blue channel.

By balancing to a card that is more blue, we effectively tell the camera to reduce the gain in the blue channel, thus shifting the image more red. Had I thought about this a bit before my first post, I would have not made it. It should have the effect of reducing noise in the image somewhat.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:36 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll order up!

I only hope the improvement isn't so dramatic that I can't use all the "Cold Card" footage I've shot to date!
Arthur Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
By balancing to a card that is more blue, we effectively tell the camera to reduce the gain in the blue channel, thus shifting the image more red. Had I thought about this a bit before my first post, I would have not made it. It should have the effect of reducing noise in the image somewhat.
We should be using a "UNIWB" with all three color channels weighted equally, then white balancing in post from a reference. I suppose this can only take off when white balance presets can be loaded into every camcorder as can be done on DSLRs. I wonder how far off the daylight WB preset is from UNIWB.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #13
Trustee

The warm cards sound like a lovely idea, but video cameraman having been using a more flexible and dirt cheap approach for many years.

You just get a gel sample book ( you need to get the big square one) and keep it in your pouch. It has 1/8 through full for CT blue, Orang as well as Green and Magenta .

Hold it over the lens and its all you'll ever need. The green is important for getting rid of green tint. I usually use 1/4 Blue + 1/8 Green or something like that. Everyone I know carries one.

Rosco used to make a"Jungle Book" that had only the colors you need. Now you have to get the full swatch book.

Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
We should be using a "UNIWB" with all three color channels weighted equally, then white balancing in post from a reference. I suppose this can only take off when white balance presets can be loaded into every camcorder as can be done on DSLRs. I wonder how far off the daylight WB preset is from UNIWB.
All of the vortex cards have a "UNIWB" on the back. Affectionately referred to as Video 100 IRE. That's what I use with my camera (my EX1 is tweaked to have a proper white balance). I'll never use another inkjet sheet of paper again.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #15

Adam, you make a very import point, and that is the philosophy/methodology behind the Warm Cards... "consistency."
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds