The magic box for viewing EX footage! - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #121
Major Player

I just got this and had some issues with a 6 minute 1080p QT H264 video stuttering about 2 minutes in. I played with settings in QT Pro and came up with these that seem to work well:

H.264, frame rate and size current (for me 29.97 and 1920x1080). Key Frames automatic, Data rate restrict to 20,000 kbits/sec, optimized for streaming. Encoding Best Quality.
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #122
Major Player

Looks like there might be an update to this unit coming soon:

WD TV-2 spruces up Western Digital's already attractive media player offering

dave
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #123
Regular Crew

I have bought a second Western Digital TV HD Media Player which I'm hoping to use as a point-of-purchase HD player in several locations. My problem is that I can't get my favorite picture with audio (the HD-DVD selection in Compressor looks fantastic but won't play audio--"audio file not supported").

I shoot with the Sony PMW EX-1 in XDCAM and import into Final Cut using Sony's XDCAM File Transfer.

I have tried to make MPEG4 files using various settings in Compressor and the resulting files are jerky and/or audio sticks and is off sync. I''ve also tried converting a Quicktime movie to MPEG4 using MPEG Streamclip and get the same problem.

This is my second box and it is driving me absolutely nuts (I've posted here before). I know the solution must be incredibly simple but I'm missing it. WD tells me to call Apple and Apple tells me to call Sony etc. It's really maddening. Could some kind soul out there PLEASE walk me through what I need to do to get my fantastic EX-1 1080i 60 footage to play--with audio!--on this thing?

Please? I will gladly pay for tech support! PM me.
Arthur Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #124
Major Player

See my post one up. Make self-contained QT file and use QT player (pro) to export to those settings. PM me if you need further help.
Old August 16th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #125
Major Player

Oh, and make sure player's firmware is up to date.
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #126
Trustee

Did the firmware update solve the looping problem where the menu (or something) popped up every time it started a new loop?

I'd like to use this for a point of purchase display, etc.... But I'm trying to decide if this is the best unit to go with. Might have to wait until the new TV-2 version comes out.

Thanks for keeping us updated on this product. Much appreciated. :)
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #127
Trustee

Can the WD TV box play native EX1/3 files? I'd like to be able to have a device that will allow me just copy the files to a HD or memory stick and than play them on location. If the WD won't is there a box out there that will? Will the Popcorn Hour do that?

I tried to look through this post but I couldn't find the answer so sorry if it has been already addressed.

Thanks,
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #128
Major Player

I don't think so.
Bought one a month or so ago, doesn't seem to work too well for me.
But only tired it for a short time.
Quality of .mov i have seen were poor.
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #129
Trustee

Thanks Bob. Have you heard of any media player out there that can play the native Sony EX files?

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #130
Trustee

I have the EX1, WDTV and PS3.

In the end, the PS3 does the best job with native EX1 but you have to go through some hoops.

- You have to strip the away the mxf container from the mpeg-2 file. There are several free utilities for this. You have to do this for the WDTV as well.
- You have to play it from a USB jump drive, fat32 hard drive, or BD-R/RE disk to avoid high bitrate stutters that you would get if you tried from DVD-R/RW media.
- To get the PS3 to output 24p, the media has to be authored as an AVCHD disk, even if it is a USB jump drive. Use TSMuxer for this.
- You have to use 8.3 file naming conventions of the authored files to play on FAT32 media. Use AVCHD-Me for this.

All in all, that's quite a bit more complication than just stripping away the mxf container and playing it from the WDTV player, which works fine as I recall for 1080/60i, but stutters with 24p from the EX1 (even after the 23.98 firmware fix).
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #131
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Hancock View Post
I have tried to make MPEG4 files using various settings in Compressor and the resulting files are jerky and/or audio sticks and is off sync. I''ve also tried converting a Quicktime movie to MPEG4 using MPEG Streamclip and get the same problem.
Are you reading from a good USB reader and card? Use HDTach to measure the read speed of your USB flash device.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #132
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
- You have to strip the away the mxf container from the mpeg-2 file. There are several free utilities for this. You have to do this for the WDTV as well.
Tom, which utility do you use?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #133
Trustee

Gints,

I use the Snell and Wilcox MXF Desktop, which was offered for free at one time, but seems to have disappeared, or not be available now.

Below are a few links to mxf unwrapping tools that are recent.

freeMXF.org - MXF tools and information for free

MXFLib - A C++ Library for MXF file I/O | Get MXFLib - A C++ Library for MXF file I/O at SourceForge.net

Regarding the last two links above, you download them both and use them together. The first one is a GUI for the second one, which is the C++ library. You don't have to do any programming or compiling, except that you do have to download from two places, and combine them in a common directory. Hope that helps.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #134
Trustee

Has anyone tried any other media players? I'd like to wait for the new WD TV-2, but I'm not sure when that's supposed to be released. Our company is planning to sell some indoor digital signage using a flat-screen and media player, but I'm not sure what the best media player would be at this point. This player needs to play 720p or 1080p in loop mode 24/7. There are quite a few listed on Amazon:

Iomega ScreenPlay Plus HD ($146.50) HDMI connection/built-in 1TB hard drive/won't play some media files.

Asus O!Play ($89.99) HDMI connection, no built-in storage, compatible with virtually all video files (according to Amazon reviewers)

Brite-View BV-5005HD "CinemaTube" ($99.99) HDMI connection, no built-in storage, compatible with virtually all file formates including H.264, smaller size than Asus, supports Mac file system (HFS+) hard drives (great if you're on a Mac and have large file sizes)

DViCo TViX HD M-6500A ($299.00) Expensive, large, HDMI connection, but I think it has room for a internal hard drive (allows a SMB mount as well as NFS mount....what ever that means), the specs say 1,300g (with HDD), compatible with virtually all video files including AVCHD and .mov (H.264)

I'm leaning toward the Brite-View and a high-quality USB flash drive. (crossing my fingers)
Old January 11th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #135
Inner Circle

Thanks for the MXF info, Tom.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds