The magic box for viewing EX footage! - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 5th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #76
Regular Crew

I have found an inexpensive BenQ 24" computer monitor with HDMI input and is 16:9 1920x1080p, so I imagine this monitor would be perfect for this box. Only, the monitor has no speakers. Does anyone know if I run RCA audio out of the anaologue outputs whether this would work, and if so, would the audio be in sync with the vision through the HDMI?
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #77
Major Player

Shaun,

Yes, you can use the RCA audio outputs with the HDMI output. They are perfectly synched. You have to set it up in the "Settings" menu to output "stereo" instead of "Digital". I should mention the DAC converter is pretty poor. Your best off to use the digital Toslink connection if possible. I mean for $100 I wasn't expecting the DAC to be very good, and it isn't!
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #78
Major Player

Paul Joy,

Thanks for figuring out the audio issue with this thing. I was thinking it was 48k audio, but it's the PCM reason! Now how are you taking your MASTERS and just changing the audio without a lengthy re-encode and loss of quality? I'm using FC Studio and would love to hear of a simple QUICK solution! Right now I'm taking my HDV master of a 1 hour show and making a MP2 HD Program stream of it so it'll play. It's a 6 hour render!!!
Old January 8th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #79
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Frederick View Post
Now how are you taking your MASTERS and just changing the audio without a lengthy re-encode and loss of quality?
Hi Paul, I simply exported an H.264 file from the FCP timeline using compressor and in the encoder section changed the audio settings to AAC format.
Old January 8th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #80
Regular Crew

Disturbing interface?

I have a TviX mediaplayer. Between clips I get some annoying grafics telling the name of the file and a "Play" notice.

Are there such messages on this WD player too? If so, is it possible to deselect them?
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #81
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
Hi Paul, I simply exported an H.264 file from the FCP timeline using compressor and in the encoder section changed the audio settings to AAC format.
Paul,

That's how I do it to, from my original timeline but I was wondering if there is a way with your MASTERS already made (Stand alone QTs) with 48k WAV audio if you can just change the audio without doing a lengthy re-encode. I have many old masters that need to have the audio changed. I'm hoping you or someone will have the formula for a 5 minute re-encode instead of a 5 hour one!
Old January 8th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #82
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverker Hahn View Post
I have a TviX mediaplayer. Between clips I get some annoying grafics telling the name of the file and a "Play" notice.

Are there such messages on this WD player too? If so, is it possible to deselect them?
Yes, once you hit enter on a file on the WD, it has an anoying pop up that says the name, length and that it's playing! It stays up for about 5-8 seconds. I REALLY wish they would get rid of this "feature".
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #83
Inner Circle

Yes Paul once you have the master out of FC open QT and use Export. Use movie to QuickTime Movie. Then go to options and you have all the options you have in Compressor but it is much faster encoding and the same quality. This is how i do it for the player and also for all my web content in HD.
Old January 8th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #84
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
Hi Paul,

I'm still missing it. Here's what I'm doing:

Clip on FC Timeline (Field Dominance set to "None")

Export to Compressor

Choose H.264 HD-DVD and drag it up to the encoder window

I choose "progressive" and "best/multi-pass" settings (video looks great)

Questions:

Should I choose AAC under "Audio" and drag that up to the encoder window?

Should I leave "Include PCM Audio" checked?

So near and yet so far...

Maybe it's just me but I like the video quality of Compressor more than Quicktime.
Arthur Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Frederick View Post
Yes, once you hit enter on a file on the WD, it has an anoying pop up that says the name, length and that it's playing! It stays up for about 5-8 seconds. I REALLY wish they would get rid of this "feature".
This is sooo ugly! I just wrote to WD, complaining about it. I will not buy it until they have fixed it. Will it ever go away?
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #86
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverker Hahn View Post
This is sooo ugly! I just wrote to WD, complaining about it. I will not buy it until they have fixed it. Will it ever go away?
I assume that it goes away when it's in looping mode......right? Or does it come up at the beginning of each loop?
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #87
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
I assume that it goes away when it's in looping mode......right? Or does it come up at the beginning of each loop?
Well, my TviX shows these graphics also in loop mode, the duration is around 4s which apparently is shorter than WD TV.
Old January 9th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #88
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Hancock View Post
Choose H.264 HD-DVD and drag it up to the encoder window
I use the H.264 option in Formats > Quicktime, your problem might be that your choosing the HD-DVD version.

regards

Paul.
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #89
Regular Crew

Has anyone seen this product before?

MIDTE

Looks good, but can't seem to find any info on in the specs on file types it plays.
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #90
Major Player

The specs are at the bottom. Doesn't play as many codecs as Popcorn Hour or WDMP. I went and got the Popcorn Hour A-110 and stuck a 1Tb hard drive in there. it has played everything I have thrown at it with no problems whatsoever.

The good thing about Popcorn Hour, which is very important, is that is has a massive user base, and an extremely active online forum where any question will be answered in either laymans terms or in some case technical terms ( I didn't understand a thing they were typing!) within minutes of posting.

Check it out.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds