EX1 versus EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 8th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #1
Inner Circle

EX1 versus EX3

I aware of the difference in feature sets of the two cams, but how about scene files recipes? If an EX1 and EX3 are set up identically, will they yield the same image? Nothwithstanding the lens? Or does the fact that they use a different lens reshuffle the deck to the extent that EX3 needs its own unique settings? There appear to be small differences with issues such as third party flash card compatibility.

I ask because it's seems most people here use the EX1, we have the EX3 so wonder, in general, how to regard some of the tips and suggestions here?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The lens is the same, it just comes off on the EX3!
AFAIK the imagers are the same too, so any picture profiles will have the same effects on both cameras, but seem to remember that there was a compatability problem, ie that you couldn't save the PP from one camera and load it into the other, but could enter them manually.
Not my cameras though, so maybe those more expert will correct me!
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:17 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Picture Profiles do indeed need setting up (inputting) slightly differently in EX3 to EX1.
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
I ask because it's seems most people here use the EX1, we have the EX3 so wonder, in general, how to regard some of the tips and suggestions here?
Many of the suggestions and tips, certainly not all, are purely subjective. Some will work, some will not, depending on specifics and how they're applied. For example, SDHC cards work in either. OTOH, there appear to be some file and profile issues between the two cameras.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Picture Profiles do indeed need setting up (inputting) slightly differently in EX3 to EX1.
This is weard, given the lens and electronics are supposed to be exactly the same on both. What are those slight differences ?
Forest Finbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Finbow View Post
This is weard, given the lens and electronics are supposed to be exactly the same on both. What are those slight differences ?
I agree. Makes no sense. And why does 3rd party flash have different characteristics?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:37 AM   #7
Inner Circle

EX3 and EX1 have slightly different software and menu system (as they have a slightly different external button arrangement, e.g. frame rate dial on the EX3 etc.) so I guess it's related to that. EX3 out of the box firmware allows 32GB SxS etc. wheres until recently EX1s needed a firmware upgrade for this I think. All subtle but potentially important differences but why it affects PP no idea.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds