EX1 and Final Cut Pro Firewire direct to external drive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 8th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Trustee

EX1 and Final Cut Pro Firewire direct to external drive?

Hey Folks,

Okay, I am hoping some kind and wonderful EX1 Guru who is willing to give me help.

We just purchased a new EX1. Wow, this is a really nice camera and the images it produces are amazing. Needless to say, there are a heck of a lot of buttons and menu choices.
I am working with FCP 6.04. Today we had a green screen shoot and I was hoping to hook up the EX1 via firewire and be able to directly save off video "takes" to my laptop's external hard drive.

I was unable to get Final Cut's log and capture to 'see' the camera. I tried going through different menu choices with such settings as "non controllable device" and "XDCAM EX 1080P30 VBR". I was shooting in with the camera's video format as 1080P@30fps.
When I got an image in log and capture, it was the laptop's camera . . . ugh.

Is it possible to capture straight to the computer via firewire and if so, what did I miss? Should I have used "log and transfer"?

Thanks,

Jacques
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #2
Trustee

Well, I got plain old vanilla HDV 60i to work, but yuck. I guess Final Cut's code warriors have some work to do to make 1080P30 HQ work in log and capture mode.
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Major Player

No No No. Read your manual. HQ does not stream over firewire. SQ streams over firewire.

If you want to stream HQ live, go SDI into a capture card.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds