MxR Expresscard/SDHC replacement for SxS site now open - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 14th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Is it possible to keep MxR all the time in place within the camera and only change SDHC cards by extracting and inserting them into MxR on the fly? Or it will not work this way?
If it possible I could avoid downloading step in the field while I keep changing SDHC cards only.
Mark Krichever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #47
Trustee

Thanks Craig, That's all pretty much what i figured.

How much slower would an off the shelf SDHC USB card reader be for downloading than using the M&S cards?

lenny
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #48
Trustee

With my SDHC>USB reader i'm offloading at about 4x.

Paul.
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #49
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Krichever View Post
Is it possible to keep MxR all the time in place within the camera and only change SDHC cards by extracting and inserting them into MxR on the fly? Or it will not work this way?
If it possible I could avoid downloading step in the field while I keep changing SDHC cards only.

Remove complete mxr and sdhc, swap sdhc in mxr, put mxr and new sdhc back in cam.
You cannot take the sdhc out of the adaptor while leaving the adaptor in the camera, if you have 2 of these combo's in the camera, the camera gets confused if you don't take out the whole card and reader.

Paul.
Old December 14th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
With my SDHC>USB reader i'm offloading at about 4x.

Paul.
Care to explain your workflow abit? i've tried a number of different readers and cant get anything quicker than 0.9x transfer speed.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Sandisk III & IV

Aloha Ross
i received the confirmation of my order. please disregard the message i left on your business phone before the pages went up.
i was wondering if you had tried the MXR with any of the Sandisk Ultra III or IV cards.
1) i don't know if they would fit
2) will they record at a higher bitrate
thought i would get the question out so it might be included on your FAQ page when you have time to develop it more.
looking forward to receiving my MXR
i was glad to read that they would work with the 8GB card, they are cheap now
tito
Tito Haggardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Tito, All the SDHC cards are physically same size, it wouldn't be standard if the size varied by model. Higher class cards won't allow higher bitrate in this case because the bitrate is limited by reader/camera itself.
Tuomas Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #53
Trustee

What remarkable timing. I just received confirmation from eXpansys that my Kensington adaptors have shipped. Seems there was another batch manufactured as promised. Looks like I'll have enough adaptors to keep me going for a while.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #54
Major Player

Hi Ross,

Sent you a few emails, but did not get a reply, i know you must be busy, so i am posting this in hope you see it, can you add me into the australian list of buyers,
robert@rpbproductions.com i am wanting 2 more cards. thanks.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 03:57 AM   #55
Major Player

Ross,

I also sent an e-mail - can you please add me to the list of Australian enquiries - and let me know the Aussie dollar price with shipping up the road to Newcastle.

Much appreciated.

Yes Bob - my coincidence Kensington adaptor also shipped today. Amazing that!
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #56
New Boot

Hi Ross...

Same here... there should be an email from me as well, but thought I'd post here as a confirmation .... 6 for shipment down to Canberra please!! :)

R.
Roger Hagelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #57
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lawry View Post
Care to explain your workflow abit? i've tried a number of different readers and cant get anything quicker than 0.9x transfer speed.
Make a folder on my external drive, ie wedding xyz.
I use the transcend cards and transcend sdhc>usb reader.
Put card into reader into usb socket.
Open clip browser.
Copy files to folder xyz.
Takes about 15 mins to offload a 16gb card.
This external drive is connected via usb so there is the usb bottleneck involved.
I then copy the next card into the same folder, i use the drop and drag in clip browser 2, ie drag from top window (card) to bottom window (folder).
One i've copied all the cards from the days shoot into that folder i then open the folder and rewrap the whole folder/footage in one go onto my other hard drive ready for editing, so now i have 2 copies of footage, one original with the bapv and one ready for editing, for safety reasons.

When i was using the sony sxs card, offloading into my laptop express slot onto my laptop hard drive ( so no usb bottleneck anywhere) i was getting about 10x tranfer speed, 3 mins for a full 8gb card.

Paul.
Old December 15th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #58
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bale View Post
Hi Ross,

Sent you a few emails, but did not get a reply, i know you must be busy, so i am posting this in hope you see it, can you add me into the australian list of buyers,
robert@rpbproductions.com i am wanting 2 more cards. thanks.
Hi Robert,

We were surprised by the reaction in Australia, and were caught a bit off guard. Sorry about that. Won't make that mistake again.

We'll have a special page for Australian orders going up tomorrow, (Tuesday), as soon as our web developer can put it up which will allow either Paypal in Australian Dollars or Direct Transfer to our bank account.

I've personally resisted the credit card thing in our wedding business, I just can't see the sense in giving Visa 4% of either our clients or our money. But hey that's just me. So we don't have credit card facilities set up at present, although the new ecommerce system has a gateway to credit cards, and with the number of people looking for it we will have to set it up.

We'll be sending out invoices with payment details tomorrow for everyone who has ordered by email and expect to ship ex Sydney for Australia on Monday and Tuesday, so that will be in time for Christmas.

Thanks again or the support, and keep a watch on the website at E-Films we will be updating it some new ideas we are currently working on. ( As soon as I learn how to work the blog! ).
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #59
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomas Sebastien View Post
Tito, All the SDHC cards are physically same size, it wouldn't be standard if the size varied by model. Higher class cards won't allow higher bitrate in this case because the bitrate is limited by reader/camera itself.
Tuomas
thank you for the answers
the questions came from looking at the recording rates for my Sony EX-1

HQ captures full 1920 x 1080 images, or 1280 x 720 images, at 35Mbps.
SP mode captures 1440 x 1080 images @ 25Mbps

and comaping them to sandisk recording speeds

sandisk ultra II "Minimum of 10MB/second"
sandisk ultra III "Fast minimum speeds of 30MB/second"
sandisk ultra IV "read/write speed of 45MB/second"

so 35MB/second can be handled by the sandisk ultr II and the faster minimum rates of the II and IV are not needed?

thanks
tito
Tito Haggardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #60
Inner Circle

Mb = Megabits
MB = Megabytes
8 bits to 1 byte

In other words
8 Mb = 1 MB (more or less but I won't go there).

Basically 35Mbps is about 4.3MBs
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds