USB versus Expresscard for EX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 14th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #1
Inner Circle

USB versus Expresscard for EX

Anyone know the difference in transfer time with the HQ files between USB and Expresscard34? Mac books don't have expresscard but the smaller form factor is appealing.

I've read a few random posts suggesting Excresscard transfer is about 10x realtime and USB about 4x realtime.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Roughly 2x realtime for USB and 7x for Express, give or take. Depends alot on your hardware.
David C. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Im getting 3x real time using the sony card reader on my macbook.. quick enough for me.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #4
Major Player

I was in your shoes after the first shooting days on location with my EX-3 i used my iBook!!.
It was such a hassel to keep track of everything, (I used the camera for transfer)

I loved the size of my 12" iBook and thought of getting a MB.
My partner has a PC laptop with expresscard slot and I was full of envy everytime he emptied his cards.

I decided to go with the MBP instead, and having firewire is a real plus to me.
Another thing with the MB and USB card reader is that the card reader needs to be powered of the mains, so more stuff to carry and not possible to use on every location.

That said, I really think the MBP is BIG. I canīt just chuck in my laptop and go any longer. It feels like I have to "pack" it if you know what I mean.

When I got my MBP, the cheaper solutions like the MxR adaptor didnīt exist. Now itīs not as important to be able to off load footage in the field since itīs not too expensive to carry enough cards on a shoot.

I canīt really say by this or that, you have to wheigh up the the pros and cons. Hope this post helps
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge View Post
I was in your shoes after the first shooting days on location with my EX-3 i used my iBook!!.
It was such a hassel to keep track of everything, (I used the camera for transfer)
It's frustating, I really don't want a BIG laptop. Now the smaller Macbooks in addition to not having expresscards don't even have firewire!
Old December 14th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #6
Major Player

I do have a MBP 15" but won't take it with me for a shoot unless travelling very far like Australia, Asia, S America or S Africa or for a very big shooting.
MxR gives enough flexibility for all other circumstances.
BTW, IMHO the 15" MBP is relatively small (lettersize A4) and not really heavy. To reduce the weight further down, I think to replace the internal HD
with a 256 GB 2.5" SSD, costs as much as 16 SDGC Ultra II 16GB cards. Very convenient, very fast, low power consumption, makes the MBP very
rugged against bumps etc.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #7
Trustee

With the sony express card reader and sony sxs card, i was getting 4 x transfer speed, going from the reader, through my pc and out to an external drive connected via usb.

With the express card on my laptop, offloading to my laptops internal drive i was getting about 10 x transfer speed. 3 mins for a full 8gb card.

Nowadays i use the transcend cards and usb reader so i no longer offload on the shoot, i have enough cards for 2 days shooting.

Just for experimenting purposes, i offloaded footage without using clip browser, just using windows, ie right click>copy, with the sdhc card in the adaptor in the express card slot, lots faster than sdhc>usb and clip browser.

Doing it that way though means i have to make a new folder for every card and then i have to rewrapp every folder individually after.

Paul.
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
With the sony express card reader and sony sxs card, i was getting 4 x transfer speed, going from the reader, through my pc and out to an external drive connected via usb.

Paul.
Is the bottleneck the external usb drive?
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #9
Major Player

im getting 4 hour transfer times for 56 minutes of USB and no one can figure out why. so I am buying an express card slot for my PC. hope that fixes it.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #10
Major Player

2-3 x with USB from camera.
Expresscard 7 x
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Ian!check out that You transfer uses USB2.0 connection.My lappy have for example 2 usb 1 and 2 usb 2 ports.

Regards

Raul
Raul Rooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Is the bottleneck the external usb drive?
The bottleneck is usb wherever that is along the line.

Remember, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link !

Paul.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds