How would you setup EX 1 to record this? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 15th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How would you setup EX 1 to record this?

Merry Christmas, everyone. Just a quick question on setting up the EX-1 for a fast record (time lapse type thing). We are going to decorate the Christmas tree tonight and I thought I would record the event to use in another video I am creating. How would you set the EX-1 to record and make the tree rapidly look decorated? I am assuming it is a shutter on/off every so many seconds. I have seen this done on some of the videos posted here.

Regards,

Phil
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sunset Timelapse on Vimeo

Look at my video there, and the comments.
Old December 15th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #3
Major Player

One could set the shutter between 1 FPS to one frame every 5 -10 sec.
This was done one frame every 5 sec.
YouTube - Snow today
another
YouTube - Family Dinner
Old December 15th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Major Player

There are two ways:
-interval-recording
-undercranking

With undercranking you can record with down to 1fps. Easy motion-blur-control is possible with undercranking because you can just set the shutter to 180° as usual and you're done.

The other option for hardcore-time-lapse is interval-recording. With that you're starting at 1fps and can go down to 24h per frame, then one year would take 12 seconds when watched with 30fps. ;)
With interval-recording you can't set shutter-angles, but you should use sls- or ex-slow-shutter.

One generally great thing with the long exposure-times, possible and recommened with time-lapse-recording, is the great low-light-sensitivity.
Dominik Seibold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

depends what you want it to look like

Frame record is what youīre looking for

that is, if you just want kind of a stop-trick of the tree becoming more and more decorated?
it is a bit of a mission, because youīll have to clear everyone out of the frame to shoot a frame after each and every bit of decor is hung up/partially hung up(you wonīt be making many friends this way) and whatever you do, donīt move the tripod.....

otherwise go for interval record, 1 frame per second (every second) should do it nicely, in which case you will see yourself and your kids wizzing around the tree hanging up the decorations and wonīt have to worry about the cam while itīs all happening, just set it up, press the fire(record) button and Bobīs your uncle.........., definately the more sociable of the 2.

oh yeah, make sure to be in full manual mode, pull focus and set the aperture before you start and make sure the lighting in the room doesnīt change too much................and donīt move the tripod.............and donīt change your framing.........no matter what......
you canīt go wrong with a 180° shutter either

of course undercranking @ 1 fps will produce the same result. more frames than 1 fps will tend to look a bit "jumpy", while 1 fps looks fairly smooth, although 25 times faster(PAL) than normal speed when played back.
over/undercranking can not be accessed in interlaced mode, at least not with an EX3, not too sure about the EX1.(frame record can be used in all modes/resolutions)

hope I got to you in time and my 5 cents helps

Merry Christmas
Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cowburn View Post
it is a bit of a mission, because youīll have to clear everyone out of the frame to shoot a frame after each every bit of decor is hung up/partially hung up(you wonīt be making many friends this way) and whatever you do, donīt move the tripod.....
And you can use the remote-control for shooting which makes it much more convenient.
Dominik Seibold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds