DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Paypal vs MxR Expresscard (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/139847-paypal-vs-mxr-expresscard.html)

Ross Herewini December 17th, 2008 02:12 PM

Paypal vs MxR Expresscard

Hi Guys,

Anyone who was trying to order yesterday would have noticed that we couldn't accept orders for Paypal at all.

Paypal limited our account because they couldn't believe the amount of activity on our site was genuine. They wanted additional assurance that we weren't marketing the latest, you know pen$$ enlarger, or that maybe we were Nigerian guys with funny hats.

Paypal motto, if in doubt shut it down. And said if I wanted to turn it on ,provide Utility bills, Proof of ID, Supplier invoices, .... I asked if they wanted my honeymoon snaps as well!

They told me even if I provided that immediately, it would still take 24-48 hours for the account to be turned on to allow orders to be placed.

I had some, as we say in Australia, very warm conversations with the Paypal staff on this point. I couldn't believe it. On the launch of our flagship product, they were going to cripple us right out of the gate. What did we do wrong, except try to do the right thing.

My first thought was everyone on DVinfo is going to think, wow it was a scam after all. He spent 10 years in the industry, travelling to the US from Australia to attend WEVA 6 times, spoke there twice and again for WEVA in Australia, won awards, did 700+ weddings, and all just so he could scam us. Man that's planning. That's like Kevin spacey in Se7en, that's scary planning.

I sent all the documentation and called them again, and, I think I advocated our position in what could only be called, a robust, forthright and I some might argue, forceful manner. To quote a sporting analogy, I left nothing on the field.

The upshot being that their management turned our account back on again.

I was warned about using Paypal. I was warned more than once, and I was warned my more than one person. Ok, so I'm a slow learner, but I learnt this lesson well.

So I personally apologise to anyone who tried to put an order in for six hours yesterday, and I apologise to anyone, who had that sinking feeling when they thought they had been scammed.

We are still on track to ship, and I am going to the factory today, to start the hand QC on each one of the first 1000 going out on Friday.

I remember something about Poisson distributions and levels of confidence for testing just this kind of thing. But you know, I don't want anyone to put their shiny new cards in their cameras and get the "media not recognised" or worse yet nothing.

So the first one thousand will have gone through my camera, and will have my personal QC sticker on it, (which is really just some of my address labels which I printed up last night on the laser, with my name on them). I'll record on it to make sure it works, then onto the next card.

So it's not like that guy at Ford who used to put his initials "OK", on each Model T as it came off the assembly line, but I will write RH on the sticker because, ... well cause I can.

I read somewhere that the EX1 slots have a MTBF of 30,000 insertions, so if the first 1000 look ok, (or in this case rh), I'll rely on Poisson distributions for sampling from now on, so I don’t end up with my beautiful EX1 being just a showpiece.

One last note, it took so long for us to approve the artwork for the blister pack inserts because I wasn't happy with it, that they will only be ready for Saturday. Just in time to be of no use for the first 1000. I'll post the artwork in the blog when I can figure out how to, and anyone who wants me to send them the insert, please send me an email, and I'll post one out.

BTW I told the factory, listen I'll go down to Kwikkopy, they can knock them up in about an hour. Then one snag, they needed to be die cut to fit in the blister, that what takes 7 days to do. So sorry about that.

Chris Hurd has been very generous with us in allowing us to post all this blurb up here, and I personally thank him for that, but in fairness to him, I’ll will get on top of this blogging software today, so these long, long posts can be on our site.

Thanks again for the support

Best wishes for the season to all.

Chris Hurd December 17th, 2008 02:21 PM

Damn the torpedoes, Ross -- good on ya,

Bob Jackson December 17th, 2008 02:26 PM

Thanks for the info.
Honesty will get you everywhere, and lots of customers.

Frank Kiss December 17th, 2008 02:36 PM

paypal worked today with ems

paypal worked today with ems to USA.
Thanks

Ronn Kilby December 17th, 2008 03:19 PM

Good on ya Ross - sounds like you actually got off easy (this time) - Semper Vigilans!

Steve Shovlar December 17th, 2008 04:54 PM

Had my account limited with Paypal because of th amoount of 4x4 camera filters I was selling. I had to produce exactly the same as you Ross, but it took about 48 hours before my account was unlimited. However I was able to continue using Paypal as a means of billing while I was limited. being an honest seller i knew there was no problem and that Paypal, once they had seen what they had asked for, would switch my account to unlimited.

Frustrating a first, but if you have sold 1000+ cards in the first couple of days, thats $35,000 dollars + shipping going straight through Paypal and it would have been instantly flagged by their software.

Any business would want to make sure they are not going to get scammed further down the line, and if it was your business I am sure you would take similar precautions as well.

Since they spoke with you and you gave them what for, you obviouosly put their minds at rest.

Now you can buy that big fat Cuban cigar and practise blowing smoke rings over Christmas and new year!

Andrew Hollister December 17th, 2008 08:51 PM

I barely processed $5000 on PayPal before the headaches began. Switching over to QuickBooks Merchant Services was magic. Rates are silly low on Visa, MC & Discover. Slightly higher on Amex. Might be worth looking into?

John Peterson December 18th, 2008 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Hollister (Post 980068)
I barely processed $5000 on PayPal before the headaches began. Switching over to QuickBooks Merchant Services was magic. Rates are silly low on Visa, MC & Discover. Slightly higher on Amex. Might be worth looking into?

Indeed. PayPal is the only thing keeping me from ordering.

John

Paul Newman December 18th, 2008 10:36 AM

I wonder what these are?

"Nigerian guys with funny hats"

Do you mean unscrupulous dealers perhaps? If you need a social reference, may I suggest you pick someone from your own ethnic background rather than making stereotypical remarks about social groups you know nothing about.

This is unnecessary and offensive.

Paul

Ross Herewini December 18th, 2008 11:11 AM

Hi Paul,

You're probably right, and I certainly didn't mean offend or to vilify Nigerians in particular or even in general. I was alluding to a group of unscrupulous people who have setup shop not ony in Nigeria, but also other surrounding countries, who think all westerners are fair game for ripping off.

I come from a social minority myself, that was systematically culturally cleansed in the 1950's, and I can't imagine too many Maoris taking it well if you started poking fun at them. If you want to see what I mean watch "Once were warriors", sometime you're in need of a little wake up.

The "funny hats" reference was just a throw away line referencing Borat. I thought it was funny because it had absolutely nothing to do with Nigerians, but then that's me. I think the Pirates of Penzance is funny too, so what do I know. Better leave the jokes to someone who actually is funny.

Ross Herewini December 18th, 2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Hollister (Post 980068)

Hi Andrew,

That's such a coincidence you mention Quickbooks, because that's what I use, and am just starting to investigate Quickbook Premiere series, because it holds multi-currency.

I was reading the specs on it on the plane tonight. Looks good. I'll have to follow up on the "QuickBooks Merchant Services" when I'm back in Australia to see how it works.

Thanks for the heads up.

Volker Ide December 18th, 2008 01:34 PM

Hi Ross,

I order 2 of your cards and payed with paypal

"This email confirms that you have paid Efilms Video Production (info@e-films.com.au) $95,00 USD using PayPal "
Transaction ID: 4SE16706GR382654D
Item Price: $95,00 USD
Total: $95,00 USD
Buyer: Volker Ide

Did you get the money from paypal - because they charged my account already.

Thanx

Volker

Volker Ide, Dipl.Biol.
TVDOCS-FFAKTUELL
Film-und Fernsehproduktion
TV Productions
Gertudenstrasse 3
D-26121 Oldenburg
handy: + 49 (0)163 5458539
tel.: + 49(0) 441 9849356
Schweiz: + 41 (0) 76 216 1977
TVDOCS IDE FILM+FERNSEHEN TV PRODUKTIONEN NEWS REPORTAGEN DOKUMENTATIONEN MEDIZIN WISSENSCHAFT & KULTUR TV Journalist Volker Ide

Bruce Rawlings December 18th, 2008 01:50 PM

I am going to order MxR after Christmas when I know I am around to receive them. Had good news today that Jacobs Photo have messed up my Delkin order of weeks ago (pre MxR) and so now can order even more of the 'Oz' card readers.

Ross Herewini December 18th, 2008 03:09 PM

Hi Volker,

We get a notification right away from Paypal, and we will be sending you a confirmation of the order shortly. The guys back in Sydney are looking after the back end, and they are just waking up, and in desparate need of caffeine I would imagine. So standby, it will be there soon as.