DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony UK 'Prime' Support EX3 re focus issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/139891-sony-uk-prime-support-ex3-re-focus-issues.html)

Stuart Boreham December 18th, 2008 11:07 AM

Sony UK 'Prime' Support EX3 re focus issues

I am told by e-mail from that there is a new firmware for the Ex3 focus problem that was due out on the 15th in Japan but apparently has not been released.

Sony are saying I can have my camera back as it is (pretty much unusable when we sent it off) and return it again when the firmware is available but they can't supply me with a loan camera as 'it may well have the same problem.' and they can't supply an EX1 as they 'don't have any'.

Is it me, or are the words 'support' and 'prime' somewhat over selling the service I am getting in this situation? Having paid £6K for a non functionng Ex3 (which, incidently, also makes black things appear burgundy requiring the purchase of £300 worth of filters to correct it on a good day) I am now reduced to hiring someone else's camera at great expense everytime I want to use one.

I find myself falling out of love with the world's largest provider of braodcast equipment.

Stuart

Justin Benn December 18th, 2008 11:29 AM

Xdcam

Could you not insist that hey provide you with an alternative XDCAM in the interim? You could offer to forward your rental bills in the meantime accompanied by a claim from your favourite lawyer...

Jus.

Kenny Cowburn December 18th, 2008 12:10 PM

I was informed by a girl from Sony Prime support, that if the repairs are going to take more than 7 days(probably working days), one is entitled to a loaner.
according to her, it is written in the fineprint for the Primesupport in the sony biz site

stand up for yourself. tell them you´ll take the chance with the loaner, as you are losing cash by having to rent.......

or are they claiming that all the EX3´s are shit untill they have the firmware upgrade??????

Terje Rian December 18th, 2008 12:24 PM

I´m sorry to hear about your troubles, Stuart. You confim my initial gut reaction. There´s no insurance when you send your EX-3 in for service. Until Sony make a statement about the focus issues, we´re all stuck in the woods. Who knows how long this will take, before we´ll be able to get our focus issues fixed. Your guess is just as good as mine...

-terje

John De Rienzo December 18th, 2008 03:21 PM

And what about the blacks turning to burgandy making the camera virtually unusable in multi cam events using different camera setups. Why should we have to put up, or pay more for this to fix it!

I have noticed this on my ex1, it's very worrying. Do I really have to spend my own cash on a filter to fix this, or should sony pay for it?

Cheers.

Ned Soltz December 18th, 2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John De Rienzo (Post 980463)
And what about the blacks turning to burgandy making the camera virtually unusable in multi cam events using different camera setups. Why should we have to put up, or pay more for this to fix it!

I have noticed this on my ex1, it's very worrying. Do I really have to spend my own cash on a filter to fix this, or should sony pay for it?

Cheers.

That is UV contamination, discussed in many threads on this forum, and is endemic to CMOS cameras from digital still cameras to EX to Red.

Check out some of the threads and the filtration options.

Andrew Stone December 18th, 2008 07:06 PM

John as Ned stated do a search on IR contamination on this forum. B+H sells a threaded filter that you can stick on the end of the lens. It's a few hundred bucks. You can also buy IR filters for a matte box, if you have one. Century makes them, I believe Cinevate has one now and there are others. Easy to find using Google.

It has to be the *top most* filter if you are using multiple filters.

Stuart Boreham December 19th, 2008 04:21 PM

Well, after about 6 phone calls they have grudgingly loaned me an ex-1 so the pressure is off. Its all so irritiating tho... bah humbug!