I have looked, but can't find K at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 18th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #1
Trustee

I have looked, but can't find K

I have looked through the manual, scrolled through the menus but have still not found out how to adjust the Kelvin values, other than performing a White Balance or setting the EX3 to ATW and watching the Kelvin number magically go up and down. I am after total control on the camera. I assume you must be able to choose which Colour Temperature value you want to use?

Whilst I am in a searching mood, I can't seem to select a slower shutter speed than 1/60 or 1/50, I assume there must be more other than the accumalative exposures?
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #2
Inner Circle

K° can be dialed in using Picture Profiles. Set a Picture Profile and then dial in the value you want. You can then go in and change it any time during a shoot.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #3
Trustee

Thank you Craig, you have just saved me another three hours search time, simple when you know where things are.
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You can get 1/24 if you go to 24P and turn the shutter off.
Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks, I was rather hoping to find 1/30, 1/15, 1/8. 1/4, 1/2, 1 sec, 2 sec etc. I would find these more useful than the 1/2000, 1/1000, 1/500 etc.
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The slow shutter speeds are under the SLS settings. at 25fps 2 frames is 1/12, 4 frames is 1/6 and so on.
Old December 19th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Alister, I am slowly finding my way around the camera - so far up to page 66 in the manual :-)

Have you found a good way to convert HD to SD, I am producing a DVD in January/February and it is needed in NTSC, otherwise I would have used my Canon XH A1 and shot in SD

Thanks
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:13 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Direct menu

Kelvin temp. can also be accessed when you have the DIRECT MENU switched to ALL.
push the jog dial and you can move through the settings you see on the viewfinder, you can change the white mode and also dial in the Temp. you want.(without having to access the cameras menu)

this however blocks the white button and switch, not to mention shutter button...
Thereby forcing you to use the direct menu.

If you go this way, make sure you have practised using it before itīs critical, ie. during a shoot.
It takes a bit of getting used to, but does give you most of the major settings you need at your fingertips....

I personally am not a friend of the DIRECT MENU, but a nice option really

enjoy your new toy
Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:30 AM   #9
Trustee

Thank you Kenny,

I am having great fun with the manual in one hand and camera in the other, just got to the Picture Profile section and am SAT down with the camera on my KNEE trying to keep a LEVEL head and working out what the hell it all means, maybe I need to OFFSET the manual and not be PHASED out by it all.

Now where is that Record button again.
Old December 19th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #10
Major Player

Sonyspeak is a language that takes great dedication to understand and master. I have failed miserably over the past 25 years or more to comprehend it. It is passed down from manual writer to manual writer.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I use FCP. For SD downconverts I use compressor and turn on the advanced scaling options setting the scaling to Best and turn the antialiasing up to 40.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds