MxR Expresscard Reader moves from final QC to Shipping - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 31st, 2008, 08:49 PM   #46
Regular Crew

I just got my cards

They work great. I love them. Thank you.
James Venturi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:22 AM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Mike, the new Extreme III 30MB/s cards work the same as the Ultra II 15MB/s cards with the EX. This was tested early on.
I have an Extreme III 16 GB card that has been working absolutely perfectly without errors for a couple of months. The first 16 GB Ultra II I got gave me errors almost every time I inserted it into the camera and was obviously faulty. I got it replaced and the new card works OK. Sometimes though I get a media error when inserting the card. I have to take it out and put it back into the camera to fix the problem. Don't know if I have been unlucky but I have a bad feeling with the Ultra II-cards.
Mind you - I have only used the card with the Kensington adapter. My "Ross-cards" are in the mail. I'll report back if they affect stability.
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:12 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Anything special to do the first time you run this system?

Happy New Year, everyone.
I have ordered this wonderfully new device and it is on its way. I too concur with others that having affordable media can make the difference in the decision to purchase the EX1/3 camera. So, Sony, please take note and thank you for allowing the free marketplace to flourish!
When my MxR card reader arrives and I buy the correct media for it, what steps do I need to do to activate it? More specifically, will the EX-1 automatically load all my settings on the card that I have stored? If not, how do I go about that?

Thanks,

Phil
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 06:59 PM   #49
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
I have an Extreme III 16 GB card that has been working absolutely perfectly without errors for a couple of months. The first 16 GB Ultra II I got gave me errors almost every time I inserted it into the camera and was obviously faulty. I got it replaced and the new card works OK. Sometimes though I get a media error when inserting the card. I have to take it out and put it back into the camera to fix the problem. Don't know if I have been unlucky but I have a bad feeling with the Ultra II-cards.
Mind you - I have only used the card with the Kensington adapter. My "Ross-cards" are in the mail. I'll report back if they affect stability.
Yes, I remember you posted you had a problem with the Ultra II 15MB/s SDHC.
No one else has reported any issues with these cards.

There's no benefit with the EXtreme III since the bottleneck is the coding for USB via the EX which limits around 8.5MB/s.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 08:03 PM   #50
Inner Circle

I ordered 4 readers today. I hope to have them in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to using more affordable memory in the EX1.
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:22 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Herewini View Post
Hi Shaun,

You know I've heard a lot of people from around Sydney use words to describe the Northern Beaches and the people that live there, but I don't recall any of them using the word humble.

I try to get along to the AVPA (Australian Video Producers Association) meetings here in Sydney, which are held every three months or so, maybe I could buy you a Crownie there.
You are right of course Ross. Having lived in the Northern Beaches myself for 15 years before moving up the coast, humble isn't a word best describing the Beaches. Perhaps I should have placed inverted commas around it!

I am not a member of AVPA, but I have been considering joining for a while now. Meeting you may just be the impetus I need!
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM   #52
Trustee

Ola, never a problem with either Sandisk Ultra II's or the cheaper but perfectly fine Transcend cards here.

Using with Kensington and cheap 16-in-1 Taiwanese adapters from eBay. Life is good.

I'm sure Ross's adapters are fine too, judging by the early reports of users who bought them.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:57 PM   #53
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
Ola, never a problem with either Sandisk Ultra II's or the cheaper but perfectly fine Transcend cards here.

Using with Kensington and cheap 16-in-1 Taiwanese adapters from eBay. Life is good.

I'm sure Ross's adapters are fine too, judging by the early reports of users who bought them.
Hm... I wonder if it could be one of my Kensingtonadapters. Really strange that I've had problems with two cards and nobody else. I'll report back when I get my Ross-cards.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:15 PM   #54
Regular Crew

New Boot

Cards work brilliantly .. had no problems over cranking 50 frames with 16 GB ultra ll's.
Great product thanks Ross for all the effort.
Chris Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:25 PM   #55
Regular Crew

Received two and both work.. haven't much tested overcranking but with sandisk ultra II 42/25P works.. 45/25P gave error after 15 minutes or so.
Tuomas Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:13 PM   #56
Inner Circle

Testing MxR with Sandisk Ultra II 32GB cards. They cost $150 US each.
Card shows 118 minutes when formated.
Did a series of quick start top records. No problems.

Set to 720p30 and tested overcranking. At 720p30/60 it would result in Media Error just before 30 seconds. This was consistent on several attempts. Clip itself played (was not corrupted though).

I can not play ANY clips back in camera. 3 second record review results in error and a black screen. Going into playback mode on camera and the icons show but any attempt to playback results in media error and black screen.

Anybody else actually attempt to playback clips from Sandisk Ultra II? This might be frustrating if client wants to review takes.

Recorded one super long clip the full 118 minutes and there were no record issues.

Once recorded I inserted the Sandisk Ultra II 32GB card in a Sandisk 12 in 1 card reader hooked up via USB2 to my MacPro 8 core. Using ClipBrowser with CRC checking on it took a few seconds over 1 hour to copy (1:00:30). Basically it was 2x realtime. Doing a straight drag and drop of the BPAV to my hard drive took 26:30 to copy which was just over 4x.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:39 AM   #57
Trustee

Craig, it's possible the reason why you had trouble playing back those takes was due to the media error you intentionally created overcranking at 60 frames. Reformat the SDHS card and use it under HQ mode.

I've been playing recording and playing back (on the camera) takes on a half dozen Ultra II cards without any problems.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 03:49 AM   #58
Inner Circle

Steven, standard clips, not over cranking would not playback. No clips of any duration and standard frame rate would play back even when card had no over cranked clips at all.

In other words, reformatted card, one 1080p30 clip 10 to 15 seconds long. It won't play back for example. No clips play back under any circumstance. All generate a media error. This is on a clean reformatted card.

I don't think there have been many tests with 32 GB Ultra II cards. In theory the reads should be easier than the writes but nothing plays back in the camera. I tried this with two MxR cards tested at varying times in either A and B slot. I've only tried one 32GB card though. I do have another to test.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 05:28 AM   #59
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

Hi Craig,

I wish I could test a 32GB card so I could follow along to find where the error, is. Unfortunately we won't be getting the cards here in Australia until 9 Jan.

I did try to purchase from some of the suppliers I have seen people mention, but none of them will supply to us here in Australia. Which if you recall from one of my earlier posts was the reason we produced the MxR card.

So, I was wondering if you could try a couple of tests for me, to see if we can work out where it is going off track.

1. Start with a fresh card, or one where you have gone in using Explorer / Finder and removed the BPAV directory.
2. When you insert the SDHC into the MxR and into the EX1, (how's that for some acronyms), then you should get a format media message. Go ahead and format.
3. Set recoding to HQ, and record one clip. Let the record light above the card go from red to green, usually takes about 5secs on Ultra II 16GB.
4. Now try and review the clip, by firstly using clip review in camera mode, and then try play clip in media mode.

I'd like to know if you get anything at all here.

A) If you do can we go to a new test, same as above but try overcranking but limit it to 45frames for now, and try the same as above.
OR
B) If you see nothing after the first test, do you have another card that we can use to test. I'd prefer to use a 16GB Ultra II as this eliminates the MxR functionality, and means we can concentrate on why it doesn't work for you on 32GB.

I did read elsewhere where one of the forum members had tried the 32GB card and it had worked successfully. I'll post him and ask if he has tried the same thing you have attempted.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:25 AM   #60
Trustee

True Craig, I do not have the 32GB Ultra II cards. I'm using the 16GB cards.

Also, could you run the Crystal Disk Mark free program to measure the 32GB read/write data rates?
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds