MxR Expresscard Reader moves from final QC to Shipping - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 30th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #31
Trustee

Hi Ross,
my two MxRs arrived yesterday. Fit into my EX1 fine, Sandisk Ultra II 16GB cards fit and work perfectly based on my quick tests. Your clamshell packing is OK. The plastic is much thinner than on some of the other packaging I've almost needed tin snips to open. A big thank you for all your hard work on this project.

I'll add a thank you to Sony as well, they probably could have found a way to stop all this from happening but they've delivered on their original promise and then some. I agree with one comment above, this should help them sell more EX cameras.

One thing I didn't have was a card reader that'd handle SDHC cards. Best and cheapest I've found is the small Qpix All-In-1 Card Reader. AUD 18 from Officeworks. I found I had an unused Pelican 1040 case lying around. It holds the reader and all my SxS and MxR cards. I'll cut some foam to hold all the bits better so they don't bounce around.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #32
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Dierx View Post
I received 2 MxRs from ya Ross. Overall they have worked great for me. The only problem I have with them is...

On the EX3 it's a hard to get MxR out of the slot closest to the audio controls. I have to get pliers to pull it out. Maybe they are a tad too big? I don't really have a problem with it.. You're saving me thousands of dollars that I do not have. I just do not want to crush the card w/ the pliers on accident!

Is it just me? does anyone else have this issue?
Hi James,

Thanks for the valuable feedback.

I don't have access to an EX3 until our local distributor comes back from holiday on Monday. But I will go in and either test there or hire one so we can see what you are reporting.

It's hard to comment without having a look into it, but we will have a really good look into it.

So if you could hold tight until I get one in my hands on one early next week. Would that be ok?
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
On one of the 2 adapters I got, more so than the other, the SDHC's are a bit snug going in, making the insertion stage kind of iffy, because of the tightness, the 'click' engaging on putting the cards in isn't always there, giving you a positive feedback that it is actually engaged. Then pushing the card in to remove them, the card doesn't spring out much, you kind of have to use your fingernail to pull the card out. Not a big deal, really, just thought you should know.

As I've pushed them in and out on the problem adapter, it seems like it might be loosening up a bit, I'll keep you posted. Maybe they will wear in a bit over time.

I guess there are variations and you don't want it to be too loose, that would also not be acceptable. But it's something you might want to look into, and I think I've seen somebody else mentioned the tightness.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for taking the time to post your findings.

One of the variations we have to work with is the actual SDHC cards themselves.

I've got Sandisk Ultra II, Transcend, Kingston, Lenxs, Toshiba, Photofast, and a couple of no-name brands that we have been testing.

Each one behaves a little differently.

I have found that the Transcend cards are a tiny bit wider than the Sandisk. Just to test whether I was correct, I ran a micrometer across both cards, and the Sandisk, ( which we designed for ), is about 0.1mm narrower than the Transcend.

The Transcend and the Lenxs (which BTW is not a viable card for us), were 0.1mm bigger than all the others.

I have noticed that my Transcends get easier to use the more I insert them, and they start to behave more like the Sandisk, but it does take time to do so.

Please keep us up to date with how you go.
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Herewini View Post
Hi James,

Thanks for the valuable feedback.

I don't have access to an EX3 until our local distributor comes back from holiday on Monday. But I will go in and either test there or hire one so we can see what you are reporting.

It's hard to comment without having a look into it, but we will have a really good look into it.

So if you could hold tight until I get one in my hands on one early next week. Would that be ok?

That would be great! Thanks for looking into it.
James Dierx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #35
Trustee

Well done Ross on a great product!
Old December 30th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #36
New Boot

Received mine today and after I updated my EX1 manually ran it for a test and it works great. Thanks for your hard work and effort to come up with a great solution for the high prices of SxS media.

Keep up the good work and thanks again.
Old December 31st, 2008, 08:14 AM   #37
Major Player

Also got my two adapters today! Works great with Transcend class 6 - 16GB SDHC cards.

Also as a bonus it's really handy to use with my Dell Precision M4400 laptop since I can put one card into the Express card slot and the other card to the SD slot. I can view / convert to MFX both cards simultaneously.

Thanks!

Sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 09:15 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Received the reader yesterday - a great product!
Thank you so much!
happy new year!
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 09:26 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Ross,

Would EX-1 work better with the new SanDisk Extreme 3 memory cards?
I just received my MxR readers Thank you.

Mike
Mike Mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 09:44 AM   #40
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mona View Post
Ross,

Would EX-1 work better with the new SanDisk Extreme 3 memory cards?
I just received my MxR readers Thank you.

Mike
Mike, the new Extreme III 30MB/s cards work the same as the Ultra II 15MB/s cards with the EX. This was tested early on.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 09:47 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Odd story here. I ordered AirMail the first hours they took orders. US Customs has been holding it since Dec. 24 and to date has not released it and no release date is offered. The US Post Office has not been able to give me any further information. e-films has also tried to get info on this. I'll probably continue this is the Taking Care of Business section.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 10:01 AM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Odd story here. I ordered AirMail the first hours they took orders. US Customs has been holding it since Dec. 24 and to date has not released it and no release date is offered. The US Post Office has not been able to give me any further information. e-films has also tried to get info on this. I'll probably continue this is the Taking Care of Business section.
Interestingly I sent a 4x4 filter to a customer in the USA on 4th november, and it is still in US customs. yet I have sent the same customer quite afew filters since and they have received them within a week of posting them out. I had to file a form and expect a refund through the postale insurance. Have written the filter off as pilfered.

the guy gets his money back, I am minus 1 filter! Hope it turns up for you.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 10:09 AM   #43
Inner Circle

I don't want to hijack this thread so I've started a new one specific to this in the Taking Care of Business sections

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/taking-ca...-my-order.html

I'd like to know more details on how you handled this so do head over that way to discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
Interestingly I sent a 4x4 filter to a customer in the USA on 4th november, and it is still in US customs. yet I have sent the same customer quite afew filters since and they have received them within a week of posting them out. I had to file a form and expect a refund through the postale insurance. Have written the filter off as pilfered.

the guy gets his money back, I am minus 1 filter! Hope it turns up for you.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 06:38 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Ross, I intend buying a couple of your MxR cards in the near future after all the Christmas hooha ends, but I just wanted to extend my congratulations to you for all the hard work you have put into the development of this product. As a fellow Aussie it makes me feel proud to see something as ingenious as this come from the humble Northern Beaches of Sydney. I'd love to shake you by the hand one day!
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 08:21 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R Walker View Post
Ross, I intend buying a couple of your MxR cards in the near future after all the Christmas hooha ends, but I just wanted to extend my congratulations to you for all the hard work you have put into the development of this product. As a fellow Aussie it makes me feel proud to see something as ingenious as this come from the humble Northern Beaches of Sydney. I'd love to shake you by the hand one day!
Hi Shaun,

As with anything, it's a team effort, I'm just the one out front at the moment.

You know I've heard a lot of people from around Sydney use words to describe the Northern Beaches and the people that live there, but I don't recall any of them using the word humble.

I try to get along to the AVPA (Australian Video Producers Association) meetings here in Sydney, which are held every three months or so, maybe I could buy you a Crownie there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds