DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sachtler plates for EX-1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/139982-sachtler-plates-ex-1-a.html)

Bob Kerner December 19th, 2008 07:25 PM

Sachtler plates for EX-1

The FSB 6 head comes in Snap and Go & Touch and Go configurations. It there a reason to get one rather than the other for use with an EX-1?

I seem to recall someone saying one of them was a hinderance when it came to balancing the camera, but I can't find the thread.

No one answered this question up in the Tripod forum so I'm trying here.

Thanks

Craig Seeman December 19th, 2008 08:28 PM

I hate those names. I have the FSB6. I got the normal looking one which isn't the "fast" one. I tend to avoid proprietary things if I need it to work with another device in a pinch.

Bob Kerner December 19th, 2008 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 981134)
I hate those names. I have the FSB6. I got the normal looking one which isn't the "fast" one. I tend to avoid proprietary things if I need it to work with another device in a pinch.

Does the plate go in at an angle from the side, or drop straight in from the top?

Any issues balancing the camera?

Craig Seeman December 19th, 2008 08:47 PM

This is what I have. FSB 6
sachtler: Fluid heads
It slides in like any other normal plate. I think this is the Snap & Go
No issues at all balancing the camera since it works like any other plate. I slide it forward or back as needed based on what the camera is wearing that day.

This is the other one FSB 6 T
This is the Touch & Go.

Dave Morrison December 19th, 2008 11:39 PM

I believe the "Snap and Go" version:

has a longer mounting plate which can give you some additional movement for more flexible balancing or centering of the camera on the head.

Piotr Wozniacki December 20th, 2008 06:45 AM

While we're at it, I'm planning on Sachtler DV 8 (sachtler: Fluid heads)

As you can see, the QR plate is quite different - doesn't slide at all, and is sort of recessed in relation to the base face. Can anyone assure me that if I need some QR plate adaptor to be mounted between that, and some of my rigs that require Manfrotto 357 QR plate, it will work OK?

Terje Rian December 20th, 2008 07:27 AM

Piotr,

I use the DV 8 SB tripod. Iīve used this fluid head with matteboxes, additional Manfrotto QR-plates and even a Manfrotto panorama head and I canīt say Iīve had any issues mounting different accessories to it. I usually use the head "as is", so I canīt report how itīll work over time with a QR-plate added. The Satchler tripod is extremely well made and easy to use. Iīve travelled all over the world with mine without problems, except that Iīve twice managed to destroy the handles, due to airport handling. In use the tripod performs very well.

-terje

Mike Beckett December 20th, 2008 07:42 AM

Piotr,

I have the same plate on my DV6SB. As Terje says, you can mount anything on it, including a Manfrotto quick releast plate adapter (I've used the MN357).

I quite like this "mini" plate - it is very solid for me, it snaps into the tripod really quickly and easily. It also means the plate on the bottom of my V1E is very small and doesn't get in the way when the camera is handheld. The longer Manfrotto plate used to dig into my hand and hurt after a while.

The other Sachtler head style, with the longer sliding plate, gives you a bit more leeway for backwards/forwards adjustment for balance.

Piotr Wozniacki December 20th, 2008 10:12 AM

Thanks guys for answers.

I'm decided to go with Sachtler DV 8/100; which legs do you recommend:

- aluminium (the model 0860), or
-carbon fibre (model 0862)?

I mean, the CF is lighter, but is this specific model also noticeably stiffer than alu?

Mitchell Lewis December 20th, 2008 01:11 PM

I struggled with the CF versus Aluminum decision. If you look at Sachtler's site, you'll notice that the aluminum is actually LIGHTER than the carbon fiber version. No kidding! (they are very close in weight). The big difference is that the aluminum has knobs that you can just tighten as tight or loose as necessary....kind of like tightening a bolt. The carbon fiber sticks have the "Speed Lock" (hence the SL designation in the model number). Speed Locks are little flappers that you flip open to loosen and flip closed to tighten. They are quicker to use than the knobs on the aluminum sticks, but you can't over tighten them if necessary. So there's a slim possibility that, over time, they will start to wear out and loosen up, and there's no way to tighten them more, like you can with the knobs. But the carbon fiber sticks are more durable than the hollow aluminum sticks which can dent if slammed into something.

I've had aluminum sticks for years and they have served me well. But when we ordered our new camera (Sony EX and Letus Ultimate) I decided to splurge and go with carbon fiber legs. I think it was $300 more, but I've always wanted to try carbon fiber legs. I've seen a lot of other pro's use them over the years, so I figure there's got to be other reasons they like them. I guess we'll see! (we're getting our new gear January 5th)

We went with the Sachtler part number 0850. It's the DV8 head (75mm bowl) with the 2-stage carbon sticks and a soft case. Cost was $2700 from our local dealer (a pretty good price). I think the 75mm bowls are considerably cheaper than the 100mm bowls. You might want to consider that.

Craig Seeman December 21st, 2008 11:28 AM

The advantage of the SL legs is they set up VERY QUICKLY. That's important to me. It's also easy to adjust an individual leg length as needed.

Benjamin Eckstein December 22nd, 2008 12:06 PM

I have the DV 8 with the Carbon SL legs. Very fast to setup. They have loosened up on occasion but if you use the right socket wrench you can tighten them from the back. This is the only flaw but if you keep an eye on it it's not a problem.

B

Mitchell Lewis December 22nd, 2008 01:37 PM

This is awesome new Ben! Thanks for the info! I feel a lot better now about our choice of the carbon sticks. Like Craig, fast setup is pretty important to us. Good to know there's no longer a perceived penalty that comes with purchasing them.

Mitchell Lewis January 9th, 2009 12:00 AM

I finally received our new EX3 camera, 35mm adapter, rails and nikon lenses, but no tripod. So I mounted the rig on our old Bogan/Manfortto 503 head/sticks. What a joke. The thing was so tippy, I was worried that no tripod would work well with this rig. It was also very front heavy.

Got the new tripod today. A Sachtler part# 0850. DV8SB with carbon sticks. When I opened it up I was initially disappointed because it looked to be a single stage tripod and I had paid for a two-stage one. But when I extended the legs I was surprised to see that they WERE two-stage legs. REALLY SLICK DESIGN!!

In addition, the head is beautiful. The quick release plate works perfectly (easy on/off) and you can adjust the balance by sliding the plate fore/aft WITHOUT taking the camera off the tripod. The camera rig is now perfectly balanced....something I couldn't do with the Bogen.

The best part is the counter balance spring. I can dial in how much tension I want and it prevents the camera from falling over if I'm a dummy and forget to lock it down. This feature works really well.

Of course the fluid movement of the Sachtler is also much better than the Bogen, but it better be for the PRICE! (the only negative with this tripod)