HD>SD downconversion Mac/FCP only - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 26th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #61
Trustee

I've created a PNG file and I'm uploading it now. It's going to take a while as it's 150 mb. (about 15 minutes)

http://www.ssscc.org/ftp/hd-sd/Test-(PNG).mov

EDIT: Okay it's uploaded.

Last edited by Mitchell Lewis; December 26th, 2008 at 05:34 PM.
Mitchell Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #62
Inner Circle

Are you sure of the name? And permissions?
Old December 26th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #63
Trustee

Sorry, there was a typo in the name (MOV not MPV) I fixed it.
Old December 26th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #64
Inner Circle

Processing ...

Done. Images coming!

DVInfo is acting dumb. Check here.
http://vimeo.com/groups/8264/files
Old December 26th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #65
Trustee

Dang! Very nice Perrone! Too bad you're not on a Mac, I'd love to duplicate your work flow. I haven't given up on Compressor yet though.

Anything that I could benefit from on a Mac? (since this IS a Mac/FCP thread)
Old December 26th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #66
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
Dang! Very nice Perrone! Too bad you're not on a Mac, I'd love to duplicate your work flow. I haven't given up on Compressor yet though.

Anything that I could benefit from on a Mac? (since this IS a Mac/FCP thread)
There has GOT to be some software application out there that uses the underlying rescale algorithm that I am using. The Lanczos one. Its FEELY available for goodness sakes.

Are you running bootcamp? It might be worth it for you to run some of these tools that I have. Especially, the stuff in Virtualdub since it's all free. The denoising programs available rival that $1k stuff I see people raving about. And you've seen the rescaler. There are also sophisticated tools for framerate conversion, color space conversion, etc. And they are all free.
Old December 27th, 2008, 12:46 AM   #67
Major Player

Mitchell, I will say it one more time, but if you don't listen to me I can't help you:
if you compress with a YUV-format like DV, then there's chroma-subsampling going on, so features with strong saturation-jumps + hue-jumps + luma-jumps will look pixelated or blurred. There's nothing you can do against it but using a non-YUV-format or decreasing saturation.
Try to use QTs uncompressed setting and you'll see the difference.
Dominik Seibold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #68
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
There has GOT to be some software application out there that uses the underlying rescale algorithm that I am using. The Lanczos one. Its FEELY available for goodness sakes.
Yeah, it must be somewhere. Does anybody know which algorithm Cinema Craft is based upon, given its exceptionally oustanding results? With the new CC plugin for Compressor, that might be the road to go for high end encodings.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #69
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik Seibold View Post
Mitchell.... There's nothing you can do against it but using a non-YUV-format or decreasing saturation. Try to use QTs uncompressed setting and you'll see the difference.
Would ProRes be a viable solution? And/or which other codecs?
Old December 27th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #70
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kraft View Post
Yeah, it must be somewhere.
Compressor is doing exactly the same than lanczos. I posted an example to show that, but who realizes it?
Quote:
Does anybody know which algorithm Cinema Craft is based upon, given its exceptionally oustanding results?
I guess we are talking about rescaling, not mpeg2-encoding. Or do you really want to know, how CCEs mpeg2-engine works?
Quote:
ProRes uses 4:2:2, so it's not a "solution" for that problem. There's no solution, because all formats used by DVD, BluRay,... use chroma-subsampling. You have to live with that and to hope that end-consumer-playback-devices use proper chroma-filtering to transform pixelation to blurriness.
Dominik Seibold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #71
Inner Circle

Quote:
You need a codec which can handle RGB, and preferably 10-bit or higher. Prores is 10-bit, but yuv, not rgb. You'll note that I typically ask for QT PNG or Uncompressed. Both of these are RGB with alpha channel. I am still testing codecs, but right now am about to test 10 bit Avid.
Old December 27th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #72
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik Seibold View Post
Compressor is doing exactly the same than lanczos. I posted an example to show that, but who realizes it?
I have so far not found any hint about Compresor and Lanczos. But thx very much, will turn my radar more towards Compressor, albeit I don't like its GUI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik Seibold
I guess we are talking about rescaling, not mpeg2-encoding. Or do you really want to know, how CCEs mpeg2-engine works?
Rescaling, which CCE MP, the plugin, does also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik Seibold
ProRes uses 4:2:2, so it's not a "solution" for that problem. There's no solution, because all formats used by DVD, BluRay,... use chroma-subsampling. You have to live with that and to hope that end-consumer-playback-devices use proper chroma-filtering to transform pixelation to blurriness.
Is there a table with the subsampling specs of all known codecs? Or would you say ProRes is kind of "the best compromise". QT Uncompressed leads to extremely large files...
Old December 27th, 2008, 02:28 AM   #73
Major Player

Fraunhofer Institut suggests JPEG2000 for a comparable task. Any comments on that?
Old December 27th, 2008, 02:35 AM   #74
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Are you running bootcamp? It might be worth it for you to run some of these tools that I have. Especially, the stuff in Virtualdub since it's all free. The denoising programs available rival that $1k stuff I see people raving about. And you've seen the rescaler. There are also sophisticated tools for framerate conversion, color space conversion, etc. And they are all free.
Yes sir, I am. Which apps are you talking about? Would love to test them on my Mac turned WinMachine;-)
Old December 27th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #75
Inner Circle

Based on my results tonight, and over the past few months of testing, Avi's DNxHD is giving results darn near equal to uncompressed at a fraction of the size. ProRes isn't close since it cannot do RGB with Alpha channels (unless someone know's sommething I don't).

Looks like this is my new mastering format! Sweet!

And it comes in Mac and PC versions, and the codec is free. Can't beat that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds