DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Recording Consumer Line Level to EX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/140172-recording-consumer-line-level-ex3.html)

Brooks Graham December 22nd, 2008 10:27 PM

Recording Consumer Line Level to EX3

I have a regular gig for a client that gives me audio from a mixer board with only consumer-level line outs on RCA jacks. Up to this point, I've been using my FX1 with a simple 1/8" stereo-to-RCA cable.

I'm going to switch over to a EX3 and am wondering if I should use an active adapter box or will I be okay with just a passive RCA-to-XLR cable.

Thoughts?

Kiitos in advance. ;-)

Keith Moreau December 22nd, 2008 11:26 PM

The EX3 should accept the input from the mixer fine. You may need to adjust the trim from the EX3 settings menu. You can also get a pretty inexpensive unbalanced to balanced xlr adapter /transformer, like from Radioshack, and they are ok quality. This will reduce the level of the signal a bit to Mic levels but has some benefits and may reduce hum if you encountered it without the transformer.

I'd try it with the unbalanced rca-xlr passive connection first, then proceed to further more expensive solutions if you experience problems such as hum, distortion or increased noise.

Alister Chapman December 23rd, 2008 04:05 AM

As well as the trim controls in the menu, the EX1 and EX3 have switchable mic/line level inputs. There are small switches under the XLR sockets to select mic or line.

Brooks Graham December 23rd, 2008 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 982773)
As well as the trim controls in the menu, the EX1 and EX3 have switchable mic/line level inputs. There are small switches under the XLR sockets to select mic or line.

Do you think a passive RCA-to-XLR adapter cable would be acceptable, or would it be worth it to get an active unbalanced-to-balanced device? ($49 from B&H) They also pop the consumer line level (-10dB) up to professional level (+4dB).

I'm just worried about possible hum, etc.

Perhaps I just answered my own question. ;-)

Alister Chapman December 23rd, 2008 12:29 PM

In my experience hum is normally the result of earth loops and bad grounding. For most applications with short cable runs a simple adapter cable should be fine. If you are using a long cable run then you should use a proper balanced to unbalanced transformer or adapter. The weak link in your setup is likely to be the consumer, un-balanced device. If you do end up with hum then you are probably going to need a proper isolating transformer.

Mitchell Lewis December 23rd, 2008 04:15 PM

I would buy a direct box.

Radial ProAV2 | Sweetwater.com

If you keep one of these in your kit, you can connect it at the mixing board and then make long mic cable (XLR) runs to where ever you have your camera setup. This will eliminate any problems with hum or buzz due to running a long high-impedance unshielded RCA cable.

The cheap solution is to use a $0.59 cent ground lift.

http://cdn.www.officedepot.com/pictu...0618_sk_lg.jpg

But make sure you're using wireless mic's or there could be an electrocution hazard if the microphone touches the speakers lips.

Brooks Graham December 23rd, 2008 06:35 PM

Yep. Long cable lengths. That's the deciding factor.

Now to find one that's battery powered!

Thanks for the help. Nice community you've got here.

Mitchell Lewis December 23rd, 2008 06:56 PM

The link I listed is for a "passive" device, which means it's not powered. In fact most of them are passive, unless they provide Phantom power, in which case they use a 9V battery. So in a nutshell, I guess what I'm saying is that as far as I know none of them are AC powered. :)

Brooks Graham December 23rd, 2008 07:09 PM

Even better. Thanks!