Night Boat parade shot with EX-1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:06 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Interesting I have never had good results with Cine2.

So you are saying you use a Picture Profile with Cine2 picked and everything else in the fields left as 0? Do you use gain in your night shots? Do you have some examples we can see to learn from you results?
Old December 23rd, 2008, 01:46 PM   #17
Major Player

Hi,

Great shots.
I'm really supprised you set gain to -3, except if you only wand to get the boat's light, and not the boats themselves.
I made some great shots on light (candles) in the night with 0 or +3 gain.
If you think everything excpet -3 is too noisy, I really think your camera is having a problem or you should have mistaken another setting.
EX1/3 camera are known to have less noise and better low light capability at default preset.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:39 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Interesting Sebastien you are saying if I read your post correctly that 0 and +3 have less noise then -3?
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:00 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Interesting Sebastien you are saying if I read your post correctly that 0 and +3 have less noise then -3?
No, you're not reading correctly, or I miss explained :)
I said that the EX1/3 should be able to shoot at night, in low light, without gain, and giving a (almost) noise free image. Even +3db gives far less noise than lots of camera, even a lot more costly.

If you have too much noise when shooting at night with 0db, your camera must have a problem. OR, you are personaly way too sensitive to noise, and in that cas, use -3db, but you will lack a lot of details.

Of course, it all depends on what you need and how much noise you can handle. But, again, if you think you have too much noise a 0db in the night with the EX1, sell it, and any "small" camera you have, and go for a 100k$ Sony F900 or more :)
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:09 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Sebastien sorry I thought I was not reading you correctly that is clearer. I agree 0 and +3 are nice pictures but I do notice the difference. I agree it is not much but enough to push me to shoot -3 when ever I can. If Phil wanted to have more of the boats in the shoot then adding gain would make sense. But having been to years of boat parades the lights are the feature so it is better to not see the boats.

I am always looking for the least amount of noise and the clearest picture. Not ready to sell the EX1 but I am in the market for a 2/3" HD camera to add to my kit for the better detail to please the clients who do see the difference.

EDIT:
Also this is the reason I added the Convergent Design Flash XDR to my kit. It greatly helps the detail of the EX series cameras.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; December 23rd, 2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Flash comment
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:07 PM   #21
Trustee

I think it looks pretty good. But I've seen other night shots that look better for some reason. Maybe boost the black (gamma)? Dunno

Here's some examples of some good night shots:

Halloween in Vegas:
Trick or Treat 2008 on Vimeo

Fireworks show:
Brooklyn Bridge 125th Anniversary Grucci Fireworks on Vimeo

So I wonder what the difference is between your settings and theirs?
Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:14 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Do remember that if you do shoot at -3db you have slightly less dynamic range than at 0db.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM   #23
Trustee

Here's the settings for the fireworks video: (copied from his Vimeo page)

Shot with Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM camera. Gain -3db, Iris F1.9, Matrix Hi Sat, Cine Gamma 4. 1080p30. Exception near the end where I used Slow Shutter 8 frame accumulation and closed down the iris to compensate. Raw video. Unedited.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds