DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Night Boat parade shot with EX-1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/140189-night-boat-parade-shot-ex-1-a.html)

Phil Hanna December 23rd, 2008 08:49 AM

Night Boat parade shot with EX-1

Hi all:
I recently shot our city's lighted boat parade. First time to do much with the EX-1 in the dark. I must say I am very pleased. Thanks to Paul and others who helped me with the setup. I shot, voiced and edited the event in Final Cut Pro and the video is native. Hope you enjoy it.

Indian Rocks Beach Lighted Boat Parade 2008 By Phil Hanna On ExposureRoom

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Dominik Seibold December 23rd, 2008 08:56 AM

Nice voice, but the pictures are too dark in my opinion.

Phil Hanna December 23rd, 2008 09:22 AM

Thanks, Dominick

I appreciate the comments. I did not take any measures to change the video. I will run a test clip through Apple COLOR and see if I can enhance the quality.

Phil

Buck Forester December 23rd, 2008 09:22 AM

Right on, good stuff! What gain setting did you use? Very clean footage!

Paul Cronin December 23rd, 2008 09:24 AM

Buck Phil shot at -3 gain.

Phil Hanna December 23rd, 2008 09:24 AM

Thank you.

-3db was the gain.

Phil

Dominik Seibold December 23rd, 2008 09:38 AM

-3db limits the maximal output to a sub-100IRE-value. It's not a good choice in a high-contrast-scene with a lot of tiny shiny highlights.

Swen Goebbels December 23rd, 2008 09:38 AM

First I must say that I have never seen something like this before! Nice idea this lighted boat parade.

The footage is really noise free but -3 is maybe too much. Would be interesting to see this in 0db maybe +3db, but not with more gain, because then you would have a much brighter and noisy picture. And when you really would see the boats very bright the effect of filming at night will be not so nice as now!

Paul Cronin December 23rd, 2008 09:44 AM

I have experimented with -3, 0, +3, +6, +9 gain shooting over cities at night in a helicopter. Once we took the footage back to a TV station they would only accept the -3 gain footage for HD broadcast saying all the others had too much noise. Looking at the same footage on my monitor I agree. So on the next 5 shoots we used only -3 with great results. That is why I recommended -3gain to Phil.

Dominik Seibold December 23rd, 2008 09:48 AM

What gamma-settings did you use?

Paul Cronin December 23rd, 2008 10:03 AM

Dominik not sure if you mean you or Phil. I use Cine4 for those shoots.

Phil Hanna December 23rd, 2008 10:58 AM

I used what he said!

Paul set me up for this shoot. I did what he said to do and it looked great to me.

Buck Forester December 23rd, 2008 11:30 AM

Personally I think it looks great! Since it was a dark night I don't see how bumping up the gain would be effective because your settings show the rich darks of night and the boat lights look great to me. Very vivid, like you're there. You have a great voice talent as well.

Paul Cronin December 23rd, 2008 11:33 AM

Thanks Phil and I am glad it worked out to your liking.

I am sure with all the great knowledge on this forum we can tweak the settings more and improve the setup for future night shooting.

Dominik what settings have worked for your night shoots?

Dominik Seibold December 23rd, 2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 982932)
Dominik what settings have worked for your night shoots?

I totally switched to the workflow to use cine2 in all situations and keep all other settings neutral, because with those settings I know I'm capturing the most amount of data. All things concerning the look I do in post.