Color matching EX1 and EX3 in Multicam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 25th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Color matching EX1 and EX3 in Multicam

Hi All,
I have a 6 camera multicam shoot comming up soon and I will be using 4 EX1s and 2 Ex3s. Is there any issue regarding colour matching up these cameras provided that all are using the same settings. I have read indications on this forum that there are issues matching up these cameras. What have others found? Thanks for any information on this.
Ian
Ian Semmens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Picture Profile

I think the only thing you can do is setup a picture profile and match every setting for each camera. The EX3's can be controlled by a paint box but since you don't have all 6 EX3's then this is about all you can do.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer
Michael Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #3
Major Player

My understanding from others here is that the EX1 settings do not match the EX3 settings. I would start with the default EX3 settings on the two cameras, and see if they match. Then, I'd tweak as necessary (if necessary). Next, I'd attempt to match the EX1's to the EX3's as closely as I could.

Acheiving a "look" in post is not difficult, but it would be nice to not have to tweak six different sources to acheive a common "look" as that would just be painful.
Old December 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have both EX1 and EX3 and I have matched a picture profile with exact setting and I find them to be a very close match. I like the cine 3 & 4 setting. I just wish the EX1 could feed timecode to the EX3's somehow.
Old December 25th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Michael, any chance you could post your profile?
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Matrix =On, select Cinema
Color Correction =Off
White Offset WHit=On, Offset (ATW)=-20, Preset=5600
Detail=On, Level=-49, Frequency=0, Crispening=-44, H/V Ratio=-35,White Limiter=-14,Black Limiter=0, V DTL Creation=Y, Knee APT Level=plus 5

Skin Tone Detail=off
Gamma Level=plus 9, Select Cine3
Black=-9
Black Gamma=-5
Low Key SAT= plus 9

I find these cameras to be too sharp and I was going for a softer film look.

Michael Palmer
Old December 26th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have used four EX1 and instead of trying to match settings, I white balanced each with the same card. They were dead on. It's better technique than trying to match profiles since camera position and lighting can potentially effect the color anyway.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #8
Regular Crew

If you plan on matching each camera by setting the white balance then I believe you would need to take each camera to the EXACT same place with the white card at the EXACT same angle within a few moments in time to do this. I believe there will still be slight variance with this technique and with matching the camera picture profile technique.

If there is enough time then testing each camera with a vector scope and a wave form monitor under the same lighting would be the best.

I prefer matching the picture profile setting over setting white balance in the field.

Michael Palmer
Michael Palmer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds