DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Simple remote controler for the EX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/140334-simple-remote-controler-ex3.html)

Ofer Levy December 26th, 2008 07:32 PM

Simple remote controler for the EX3

Hi all,

I am using the EX3 mostly with SLR lenses. I am looking for a way to PLAY/STOP recording without touching the camera.
The supplied IR remote controler doesn't seem to do the job consistantly although it works fine for the playback.
Anyone is using the supplied IR controler? Any tips as to how to operate it for switching recording ON/OFF ?
Any other not overly expensive controler which attaches to the camera body and not to the lens?
I only need it to switch recording ON/OFF.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,
Ofer Levy Nature Photographer

Andrew Stone December 26th, 2008 08:02 PM

I had a similar problem when I first started using the remote. The trick is to use the "modifier" button between the record and pause button when both starting to record as well as pausing. That should solve your problems.

My issue was not being able to get it to stop recording as I didn't realize you had to press the modifier button when hitting pause. It is in the manual but like most things in the manual it isn't flagged out properly.

To anyone else reading this don't forget to activate IR Remote in the menus. You can also assign one of the 4 programmable buttons to activate the IR Remote. This unfortunately has to be done each time the camera is turned on.

Jeff DeMaagd December 26th, 2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Stone (Post 984352)
To anyone else reading this don't forget to activate IR Remote in the menus. You can also assign one of the 4 programmable buttons to activate the IR Remote. This unfortunately has to be done each time the camera is turned on.

Why is it that the remote input turned off by default? Battery life?

Andrew Stone December 26th, 2008 08:18 PM

Inferred in the manual that the IR frequencies on which the remote operate could cause the camera to operate erratically due to IR interference. The justification by Sony, in the manual, is vague.

Ofer Levy December 26th, 2008 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Stone (Post 984352)
I had a similar problem when I first started using the remote. The trick is to use the "modifier" button between the record and pause button when both starting to record as well as pausing. That should solve your problems.

My issue was not being able to get it to stop recording as I didn't realize you had to press the modifier button when hitting pause. It is in the manual but like most things in the manual it isn't flagged out properly.

Thanks Andy! I appreciate your help!
Cheers,
Ofer