ex3 and pelican case - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 31st, 2008, 05:25 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Hmmm. The only reference on the Zacuto site to a Storm case insert that mentions the EX3 was for one that is $250 and says "This foam does not work with the EX3".

Am I missing something?

It would be ideal for EX3s with rails and a matte box. ($250 seems steep for a single piece of foam, though ... oh wait, it's Zacuto.)
Brooks Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 05:32 PM   #17
Trustee

I'm sorry, I miss spoke. I should have said "they are working on releasing" a Storm case for the EX3 with 35mm adaptor and matte box. They should be releasing it very soon, because they originally started talking about it over 2 months ago. (maybe they are waiting for me to get my rig so I can send them measurements...hehehe)
Old December 31st, 2008, 06:22 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
I'm sorry, I miss spoke. I should have said "they are working on releasing" a Storm case for the EX3 with 35mm adaptor and matte box. They should be releasing it very soon, because they originally started talking about it over 2 months ago. (maybe they are waiting for me to get my rig so I can send them measurements...hehehe)
so its probably gonna be around $300-50 or so huh?
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 06:27 PM   #19
Trustee

It should be very similar in price to the EX-1/Letus Ultimate/Matte box version. Just give them a call and they'll tell you anything you want to know. I work with Mandy. She's always great to deal with. I've also talked extensively to Joseph Stunzi as he seems to have a direct line to Zacuto, but I don't think he watches this forum much.

I thought about waiting and buying a Storm case from them, but I wanted to go with the Red Rock matte box (about half the price of what Zacuto offers). It's a much larger matte box, so it probably won't fit. Once I get my rig all assembled, I'm going to send them measurements. Maybe I'll get lucky and with a little cutting I'll be able to make it fit.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:13 PM   #20
Major Player

"I was on a particularly turbulent flight across the US Mid West one Spring flying from Toronto to Argentina. The turbulence was so bad that the overhead lockers were springing open and luggage was falling on passengers. There were several injuries where people people were hit by large heavy bags. We had to land at DFW so that some of the passengers could get medical treatment. Ever since then I have been quite wary about sitting under bins with flight cases inside. A falling, heavy, solid case could quite easily kill."

You would think that modern technology could afford hatches that stay shut with heavy turbulence!

(I still don't know to do the proper quote box)
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 03:06 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Just take a look at the Max Load plates on most overheads and you'll see they are only rated to hold a fraction of what's normally put in them. Also many of the airliners in the air today were designed in the 60's and 70's.
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #22
Trustee

Got my gear today. The EX3 is very wide and is almost too wide for the Kata MCC-2A bag we purchased. I'm going to put the rig together tomorrow and see if it all fits or not. I know the Red Rock Matte box is going to be WAY too wide to leave on the camera. But I think the rest might fit.

The good news is, as large as this bag is (Kata's largest) it still fits crosswise in the back of our Mini Cooper. Sweet! :)
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Graham View Post
Hmmm. The only reference on the Zacuto site to a Storm case insert that mentions the EX3 was for one that is $250 and says "This foam does not work with the EX3". Am I missing something?
No not really. Zacuto is in the process of developing the EX3 foam insert. There is a very impressive demo video on their website showing how their existing foam insert works for a variety of cameras and configs, it also mentions the EX3 insert is not out yet. Don't diss it until you see the demo. A lot of clever thinking went into the making of it.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #24
Major Player

just an update, I went with the pelican case. I bought the 1620. if anyone was wondering, it fits perfectly with a matte box and AB battery mount (with battery attached). the only thing I have to remove is the shotgun mic. it was $184 at REI.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #25
Trustee

I returned the Kata case and just ordered the EX3 Storm case from Zacuto. Should be here on Monday. I'll keep you updated.
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #26
Tourist

Has anyone looked at or worked with the Sony hard case? It's on their site, model# LCEX3TH.
Paul Buchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #27
Trustee

Resurrecting an old thread.

I'm looking to buy a case for our new EX3 with a Chrosziel 450 matte box and base plate. Plan-A is to send the rig to Case Cruzer to have them build a custom foam lined case. Plan-B is to find a soft case that will fit the rig.

Anyone have any advice?

http://www.casecruzer.com/camera-cas...-EX3-case.html
Old March 9th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Zacuto Storm Case iM2975 for EX3

I bought the Storm Case from Zacuto with their EX3 foam insert. This is not a rig that you would stuff in an overhead locker on an airplane. It is a fairly large case, but the foam insert means that there is a place for everything. The case has an extendable handle and wheels on the base so it is easy to pull along. While the case is designed to take a mattebox, and the Zacuto web site shows an EX3 in the case with one of their DOF kits fully assembled, I bought a Redrock Micro mattebox which is too big to fit in the case on the camera. I have most of a Zacuto kit; base plate, rails, etc. and the EX3 fits nicely in the case with all the gear attached. It sure is nice to just lift it out of the case and install it on the tripod.

I don't have to travel very far with all my gear as I work in a school (K-12) and so the objective for me was to get a case which would carry all my gear. I manage to fit the EX3, a PHU-60K, the batteries, a Zylight Z90 and its battery, zoom controller, wireless mic kit, headset, tools, adapter cables, manual and white cards into the case with room to spare.

On the topic of cases, I found a supplier of hardshell cases here in Canada, Nanuk Cases www.nanukcase.com and they are very competitively priced with Pelican. I use the Nanuk 945 for other mics, cables and gear.

I will be buying the mattebox case that Redrock Micro offers to store and transport the mattebox and its filtres.
Attached Thumbnails
ex3 and pelican case-2009-11-10_new_stormcase_im2975_equipment_case_for_sony_pmw-ex3_001_web.jpg  
Old November 14th, 2010, 05:35 AM   #29
Major Player

Case for ex3

I bought an Explorer 7630 for my ex3. I then bought the divider set. That's where it got a little ugly.
Explorer have two photos in circulation for the divider set, a nine pocket and four pocket. I bought the original four pocket thinking I'd make extra divider panels to split it further.

When the divider pack turned up it was literally half the size of the 7630 case. In order bto divide the whole case - you need to buy two. Eeven then - the dividers were not adjustable. I checked with manufacturer site and with the dealer site, then checked on the phone it was the correct part number etc.

I sent it back, got a full refund. I have now made a set of dividers for the 7630 using high impact shipping foam, black hook and loop fabric (with glue on back) and strips of velcro sewn to the ends of the divider panels. I am just finishing off some extra panels so when complete will post here...

If I forget the phot.. mail me and remind me...
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds