ex3 and pelican case at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 31st, 2008, 09:34 AM   #1
Major Player

ex3 and pelican case

I am thinking of just getting a pelican case for the ex3, anyone know if the 1620-1640 would work?
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 10:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Check the Peli website, they've got internal dimension there.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Major Player

yeah, I have looked it over, thats how I narrowed it down. but wanted to see if anyone has either of them. I am always worried I forgot to take into account something, and when I get it, it wont shut, haha.

I think the 1630 should be fine.
Old December 31st, 2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Trustee

I've never owned a Pelican case. Does the "pick and pluck" foam actually work as a good customizing solution? I'm worried that the foam would break down over time and you'd end up with foam dust on all your equipment. But again, I've never used it before, so I'm hoping I'm wrong. :)
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
I've never owned a Pelican case. Does the "pick and pluck" foam actually work :)
I've used my custom case for over a year, and just purchased a second one. The nice thing about it is just that...it is custom. The pelicans are nice for their rugged shell, but I can't justify the exra $$. If I was to travel via flight and carry on was not an option, I would probably go with the Pelican.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have a few Pelican cases for my DSLR/Light gear.
One thing you should think about with Pelican: WEIGHT!
These cases are great (the best) protection for your gear, BUT they are HEAVY.
Even empty, they are up there and once you put all the stuff in them (lots of space!) you're in trouble...
Last summer I was traveling internationally by air, and had my 1510 case (air line carry on size) filled with my Canon DSLR gear. On the check in, I had to take ALL gear out of the case and stuff my pockets in order to pass the "weight" limit for checked luggage (with Austrian Air). Of course, after passing the test, I continued on to boarding and returned all back in to the case. Go figure.

If you are using larger cases for equipment (I have 1650 and 1640 for lights and grip), once loaded they are better than going to gym.

Regarding pick and pluck foam: go for inserts instead. You can get them for any case size, cost a bit more but much more versatile - you can change configuration over time where foam once you pick it that's it.
Steven S. Miric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:23 PM   #7
Major Player

the pick and pluck foam works really well. I havent seen any dust yet in the one I own now. if I had the ex1 I could use it, but the 3 is a little deeper now with the viewfinder, so I can shut it.

oh well, cant go wrong with 2 pelican cases!
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven S. Miric View Post
Regarding pick and pluck foam: go for inserts instead. You can get them for any case size, cost a bit more but much more versatile - you can change configuration over time where foam once you pick it that's it.

are you talking about the dividers? I like the pick and pluck because I know the only thing the case will be used for is the camera, so I can make it a really snug fit and not worry about it.

I am not worrying too much about weight for airlines, as when I travel on planes it is coming on the plane as a carry on. I just want a case that it can stay in when not in use, and when transporting it in my truck, and not worry about it getting damaged at all.
Old December 31st, 2008, 01:49 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I have a Pelican 1650 that was previously used for two XL1s cams (which were stolen, *sigh*) and when I got my EX3 on Monday, one of the first things I did was to see if the EX3 would fit.

The 1650's interior depth (10.5" IIRC) is perfect for the EX3. If anything, it might be 1/2" too much.

However, I will second the mentions of pick-n-pluck dust. When I pulled my beautiful new EX3 out of the foam, it was _covered_ in foam dust. It took me about an hour with a can of air to get rid of most of it. The rubber eyepiece cover still has foam residue. Hopefully it will go away with time.

I'm a huge fan of well-made hard cases, and have the Sony purpose-built hard case for my FX1 which I can't say enough good things about.

I'm ordering the LCEX3TH ATA case from Sony.

The Pelican 1650 will get a divider set and be used for my field production kit.

And yes, "who needs to go to the gym when you can use Pelican cases?" ;-) (it's not like they're cast iron or anything, but keep an eye on what you throw in them as it all adds up)
Brooks Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 02:56 PM   #10
Inner Circle

You guys in the US get away with murder when it comes to the size of your carry-on. It is rarely checked for size or weight. Over here in Europe they check carry on size quite regularly. The weight depends on the airline, but size is supposed to be regulated world wide. A 1650 is well over the international regulation carry on size.

I was on a particularly turbulent flight across the US Mid West one Spring flying from Toronto to Argentina. The turbulence was so bad that the overhead lockers were springing open and luggage was falling on passengers. There were several injuries where people people were hit by large heavy bags. We had to land at DFW so that some of the passengers could get medical treatment. Ever since then I have been quite wary about sitting under bins with flight cases inside. A falling, heavy, solid case could quite easily kill.
Old December 31st, 2008, 02:58 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Graham View Post
I'm ordering the LCEX3TH ATA case from Sony.
is that custom fitted inside? I am curious if it will work with a wide eye, or matte box attached, or if I would have to remove everything everytime I want to put it in the case.
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:05 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
A 1650 is well over the international regulation carry on size.
Sure, all carry on limits are similar EU or North America. It just goes difference on weight.
Now,
1650 is for checked luggage, of course. Once loaded with gear, it goes to "heavy" check in and sometimes extra fee is $100, but sometimes goes with no extra charge (depending on staff on the airport and the size of the smile of my producers who are paying this cost...).
Steven S. Miric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:29 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
is that custom fitted inside? I am curious if it will work with a wide eye, or matte box attached, or if I would have to remove everything everytime I want to put it in the case.
I can't say yet, but based on my FX1 case, it is very specifically made for the particular camera. I'd be fairly certain that a matte box would need to be removed. As would rails and the like.

My hope is that a plate such as the wonderful one from DM could stay on. That would be the only deal-breaker for me.
Brooks Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:52 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Graham View Post
I can't say yet, but based on my FX1 case, it is very specifically made for the particular camera. I'd be fairly certain that a matte box would need to be removed. As would rails and the like.

My hope is that a plate such as the wonderful one from DM could stay on. That would be the only deal-breaker for me.
ahh, thanks.
Old December 31st, 2008, 04:01 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
Zacuto sells a "Storm Case" (basicallly a pelican case) that's custom fitted for an EX1 or an EX3 and they also have versions if you're using a 35mm adaptor and matte box.

http://store.zacuto.com/storm/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds