DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony Log & Transfer Utility for Apple FCP? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/140587-sony-log-transfer-utility-apple-fcp.html)

Mitchell Lewis December 31st, 2008 11:42 AM

Sony Log & Transfer Utility for Apple FCP?

Anyone used this yet? Is it easier/faster to use than XDCAM Transfer? Here's what I found on the Sony site:
Sony | Micro Site - XDCAM EX

------------------------------------
Log and Transfer Utility for Apple FCP Version 1.00

The Log and Transfer plug in software utility for XDCAM EX allows any resolution of current XDCAM EX file to be easily imported within FCP using the standard Log and Transfer interface within FCP.

Works with Apple Tiger /Leopard Operating System (Mac OS X Ver10.4.11 or later) also requires FCP 6.03 or later.

Instructions:
1) Create a new folder to copy dmg file to.
2) Copy file to your Mac.
3) Double click on the icon in the folder you have created.
4) Installer will launch. Follow the installation instructions.
5) Use the Log and transfer window to ingest EX files into FCP.

NOTE: XDCAM Transfer has the following advantages over Log and Transfer
Support both XDCAM EX & XDCAM Disc
Handles XDCAM EX and XDCAM Disc clips
mounting SxS & PD media at the same time
MXF export capability
Can write edited material back to Professional Disc in MXF files
Standalone browser/viewer
Browsing/viewing are possible without running Final Cut Pro

Other benefits
Full-screen playback
Cache functionThumbnail information available even after ejecting the media
Can create multiple sub clips by Mark In/Out

Log and Transfer has the advantage of working directly within the standard Log and Transfer interface within FCP

Click here to download the software

Craig Seeman December 31st, 2008 02:32 PM

I've used it. It works. I prefer XDCAM Transfer Tool so that's what I use.

Noah Kadner December 31st, 2008 04:08 PM

It does essentially the same task- though ignoring most of the metadata- if that's a key part of your workflow. It's a bit more straightforward if you're used to working all within FCP too. I

Noah

Mitchell Lewis December 31st, 2008 04:16 PM

From watching the Vortex Media EX3 training dvd I learned the difference between the Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer is that Clip Browser won't unwrap the footage and rewrap it into a QT movie for FCP. Also XDCAM Transfer will allow you to create sub clips so you don't have to import every clip in it's entirety.

Does Log and Capture do all that? (is it the same as FCP Log & Capture that I've used for years with DV tape....but with SxS thumbnails?)

Noah Kadner December 31st, 2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis (Post 986838)

Does Log and Capture do all that? (is it the same as FCP Log & Capture that I've used for years with DV tape....but with SxS thumbnails?)

yes it's the same. All it does is cause the Log and Transfer window to be able to open and ingest from BPAV folders. It's nothing super amazing. :)

Noah

Mitchell Lewis December 31st, 2008 05:18 PM

So then why would people still choose to launch another program (XDCAM Transfer) when they can do it all within FCP? Can you set in/out points with Log & Capture?

Andy Nickless January 1st, 2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis (Post 986859)
Can you set in/out points with Log & Capture?

You can set in and out points in Log and Capture (and in XDCAM Transfer).

I prefer to use Log and Capture for two reasons.

1) I can capture Audio Only or Video Only using L&T. Obviously, Audio Only saves an enormous amount of disk space and there's no way to do it using XDCAM Transfer.

2) When you log a clip with L&Transfer, you can play it back "In" to "Out" - frame perfect. That's very important to me - especially when capturing Audio without Video as there's nothing to see. XDCAM Transfer only allows you to play back from the "In" point. When it reaches the "Out" it just keeps playing.

I also prefer the way that L&T numbers clips - but that's probably not a valid point as I don't understand what XDCAM Transfer's numbering system is about.

Mitchell Lewis January 1st, 2009 12:13 PM

Thanks for the reply Andy. Good information! (I capture audio only sometimes too)

Noah Kadner January 1st, 2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis (Post 986859)
So then why would people still choose to launch another program (XDCAM Transfer) when they can do it all within FCP? Can you set in/out points with Log & Capture?

Why do people eat chicken instead of beef? Matter of preference or who knows...

Noah

Mitchell Lewis January 1st, 2009 04:04 PM

Got it. Thanks! :)

Matt Davis January 3rd, 2009 09:35 AM

XDCAM Transfer is great for neatly named rushes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noah Kadner (Post 987236)
Why do people eat chicken instead of beef? Matter of preference or who knows...

There's a GREAT reason for using XDCAM Transfer over Log and Capture.

In a nutshell, neatly labelled rushes with embedded metadata readable within your source QuickTime movies when you do a Media Managed copy.

I tried explaining it, didn't work, so I made a movie about it:

Batch naming clips in XDCAM Transfer on Vimeo

My first screencast, so sorry about the 'bumpiness' and the obvious bloopers. But the info is there.

Mitchell Lewis January 3rd, 2009 12:22 PM

Great job Matt! Very well done screen cast! You've got some very good points in there about why we should all be using XDCAM Transfer. Especially interesting info about ShotPut Pro. Imagine Products Inc. - Home of Video Logging, Archive and Enhancement Applications ($89)

Thanks for taking the time to do it. Hopefully you'll produce more of them.

Andy Nickless January 3rd, 2009 02:07 PM

Excellent Presentation, Matt - thanks!

Thanks for the presentation Matt - very professionally put over.

I'd like to put my hand up and speak out for Log and Transfer though!

Please don't misunderstand, I think both are useful, but for me, "L & T beats XDCAM Transfer on precision alone.

As I said in my previous post on this thread, "L & T" has the ability to play "In-to-Out" when you are logging clips - extremely useful at times.

Transfer has the advantage as far as batch naming is concerned - but if you give subclips separate names, you have to capture each one individually. With "L & T" you can simply send them to the Log Queue and Ingest when you're ready. (I prefer to do them in batches as the Ingest process seems to interfere with the preview when I'm logging the next clip).

When it comes to Logging info, "L & T" beats "Transfer" I think, because you can log all of the following individually:

Reel
Clip Name
Scene
Shot / Take
Angle
Log Note

ALL of these notes and names appear next to the clip in FCP - and when logging in "L & T", ALL have drop-down menus of previous log info you've used, so the log process couldn't really be quicker.

But what puzzles me is why you don't use Clip Browser if you have a MacBook?
I know nothing of Clip Browser as I have a G5 PPC but I rather got the impression Clip Browser was "The Business"?

Matt Davis January 3rd, 2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Nickless (Post 988246)
  • Reel
  • Clip Name
  • Scene
  • Shot / Take
  • Angle
  • Log Note

Ah yes. We're all shooters here, but some are artillery, some are snipers and some just spray in a certain direction (erm, guilty) - I'm afraid I don't tend to do scenes, takes and angles - but log notes go in Transfer. And quite often, that happens in the field (though NOT the transfer, funnily enough - that happens when I want it to).

Shooting more scripted or controlled stuff and dare I say 'briefed' interviews may mean that the precision of L&T is appreciated more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Nickless (Post 988246)
But what puzzles me is why you don't use Clip Browser if you have a MacBook? I know nothing of Clip Browser as I have a G5 PPC but I rather got the impression Clip Browser was "The Business"?

I tried it, and found certain features fun and quite possibly useful, but the workflow I have with XDCAM Transfer is just a perfect fit with what I do (corporate 'mini docco' and event (aka conference) video) that I will find it really hard to switch to anything else out there.

Such work involves rather high shooting ratios, and buried within takes are those little gems that make a production soar. I therefore throw away rubbish but don't set in and outs or split clips in Transfer.

I do all of that in Final Cut (I'm doing that right now). I've got sequences of each interview, with good bits chopped out. I copy good bits from each interview and copy those into separate 'subject' sequences. Therefore I need neatly, consistently named clips and I need metadata such as tummy-tag info (name, position, company, location) still embedded into the clips so when I'm doing captions at 0300, I can copy and paste, not look in log notes.

It's all possible because of Transfer - batch name, embed text info into each clip. Egad, had a funny turn, remembered 'tape'... <shudder>

Craig Seeman January 4th, 2009 08:01 AM

The question I have about the workflows is what happens after the project goes offline and you need to do revisions or repurpose offline sections some time later?

If Clip Names don't match source file names I'd think there'd be a problem. FCP timeline would look for the MOV files. Are both of you backing up the MOV files in addition to the BPAV?

In my case I make sure the BPAV names remain the same for MOV (I backup BPAV). I then add descriptions in the note fields. I don't touch the clip name.