DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Next gen format memory card SDXC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/141084-next-gen-format-memory-card-sdxc.html)

Joe Diaz January 7th, 2009 12:32 PM

Next gen format memory card SDXC

Has anyone seen this, SDXC is a next-generation memory card format, with up to 2 terabytes storage capacity and read/write speeds of 300 megabytes per second.
Probably very, very expensive

Read it hear:
SDXC Memory Cards - PhotographyBLOG

The first batch of retail cards will hit before March.

SDXC memory cards promise 2TB of storage, 300MBps transfer - Engadget

Ted OMalley January 7th, 2009 01:22 PM

Could be a GREAT storage medium, though!

Jeff DeMaagd January 7th, 2009 02:23 PM

The problem I have with it is that the fact that SDHC "tops out" at 32GB is a policy decision and not any actual addressing limitation with the card. SDHC can actually handle up to 2TB if it weren't for that. It's good that they have faster standard now.

Craig Seeman January 7th, 2009 08:53 PM

Of course with Sony's USB ceiling the speed of the card won't do EX users any good although you might be able to shoot a documentary with one card.

We'll just have to wait until Ross gets a PCIe Express Card adaptor.

Brett Sherman January 7th, 2009 09:03 PM

It looks like the specs for the card won't be out until March. That probably means the consumer product is a ways away.

"Specifications for the open standard will be released in the first quarter of 2009"

Andrew Stone January 7th, 2009 09:44 PM

I hope it is true but given the development of digital storage over the past few decades, I find it difficult to swallow that we can easily get up to 2 terrabytes of storage on an SD card within a couple of years. It's only becoming commplace for hard drives to get up to 1 terrabyte at a consumer price point and that really only became possible as a result of perpendicular data storage on disks. This was only introduced into the marketplace a few years ago as far as I recall.

Jay Gladwell January 8th, 2009 08:35 AM

Maybe this is the card the Product Marketing Manager from SanDisk was referring to a few months back. Although we were discussing a WORM card at the time.

As was mentioned, this would make for great storage!

Erik Phairas January 8th, 2009 09:41 AM

well if they roll it out with 64gig (to start) or whatever it will stilll be awesome.... am I reading this right it would work in normal SDHC slots? So our adapter for the EX would work?

Larry Huntington June 6th, 2010 11:29 PM

Anyone tried this?

Anyone used the Sandisk 64GB SDXC card with a Kensington adapter for an EX3 with any luck?

John Peterson June 7th, 2010 05:14 AM

After reading all the user reports of the various SDHC cards here for some time it seems that the 32 GB cards in general are not as reliable as the 8GB and 16GB cards in these cameras.

Makes me wonder if an even higher capacity for an even higher price would work any better?

John