EX1 bottle neck for USB transfer to PC - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 9th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Many of the SD card slots on laptops do not support SDHC cards without a firmware update. I had this problem on a Vaio. Found I got much faster transfers from SDHC cards by using a USB to SDHC adapter.
thanks for the heads up.

you are talking about one of the cheap card readers?
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #32
Inner Circle

When I got my Scandisk Ultra II cards they came with a free USB to SDHC adapter and that works really well.
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #33
Trustee

Well transfering from the EX via USB toclip browser for Sony Vegas PC is slower than realtime, 43mins of footage ended up taking 1hr 40mins.

If I buy a card reader this still has to use USB.
What are my options to quicken this up?

Regards
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Are you sure your USB port is USB 2? It should be faster than that. I would give a card reader a try, they don't cost much and bypass the bottleneck that slows down SD cards in the EX.
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #35
Trustee

Thanks,
Yeah, all USB ports are USB 2.
Any brands of card readers that you might suggest Alister?

Simon
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #36
Trustee

Vegas 8.0 cannot read the mp4 wrapper. You have to use the Clipbrowser to rewrap into MXF. It does take a long time.
Be aware also that Vegas cannot join the files. You must use the Clipbrowser to do this, if you don't you'll get a glitch at the join.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #37
Major Player

ok, now I am really confused. I did on continuous file (7 minutes worth) it took 44 seconds to transfer. sweet. then I tried multiple clips totaling 7 minutes, and I am back to the slower than real time transfer. the copy check is not on, clip browser is set to processing speed over data protection.

is anyone with a PC, vegas, who is using clip browser to transfer the files, not BPAV's seeing faster times?

should I be looking into the sony SxS card reader?
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post
Well transfering from the EX via USB toclip browser for Sony Vegas PC is slower than realtime, 43mins of footage ended up taking 1hr 40mins.

If I buy a card reader this still has to use USB.
What are my options to quicken this up?

Regards
are you using the SxS cards, or SDHC?
Old January 9th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
ok, now I am really confused. I did on continuous file (7 minutes worth) it took 44 seconds to transfer. sweet. then I tried multiple clips totaling 7 minutes, and I am back to the slower than real time transfer. the copy check is not on, clip browser is set to processing speed over data protection.

is anyone with a PC, vegas, who is using clip browser to transfer the files, not BPAV's seeing faster times?

should I be looking into the sony SxS card reader?
I use my EX1 with Vegas 8.
I'm not certain exactly what you're doing when you say "transfer the files"?
If you're rewrapping to MXF then I'm not surprised at your outcome as the Clipbrowser is probably doing more than just reading one data file so the USB data rate would really slow things down.

I always copy the entire card(s) and it's structure to a folder on my HDDs. Then I use the clipbrowser to do the rewrap to MXF. The rewrap to MXF is slow, around 25% RT. The old version of the Clipbrowser was much faster.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
I use my EX1 with Vegas 8.
I'm not certain exactly what you're doing when you say "transfer the files"?
If you're rewrapping to MXF then I'm not surprised at your outcome as the Clipbrowser is probably doing more than just reading one data file so the USB data rate would really slow things down.
yeah, thats what I am doing, I plug in the camera, open clip browser, select the clips, and select "export mxf".

Quote:
I always copy the entire card(s) and it's structure to a folder on my HDDs. Then I use the clipbrowser to do the rewrap to MXF. The rewrap to MXF is slow, around 25% RT. The old version of the Clipbrowser was much faster.
for some reason I wasnt understanding that, I get it now, once the files are on the computer, its faster to rewrap than doing it while pulling them off the camera huh?

what I dont get is how to rewrap, once the BPAV file is on the computer, I cant find it in clip browser, and it wont let me drag it in either. sorry for being so dense on this, I have been going in 8 different directions trying to figure it out, I am frazzled.
Old January 9th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #41
Major Player

wait! I got it! hahaha, for some reason clip browser didnt find them the first time, but I got it sorted. 7 min file in 5 minutes. thats better than 15.

Im happy again!

curious if that sony SxS card reader allows faster transfer speeds straight from the card to MXF via clip browser.

thanks for all the help everyone.
Old January 11th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #42
Trustee

Sorry I have been away for a few days and unable to responed.

What's the solution then with giving a client footage shot on these cards.
I'm also searching for a cheap card reader to do the transfer but as it's still going in via USB the transfer times will be large?

Regards
Old January 11th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #43
Major Player

you should be able to transfer the BPAV file to the computer, then open clipbrowser, locate the clips, and convert them to MXF. that solved the slow transfer time for me.
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #44
Trustee

Thanks Ian,
Yeah that's what I have done. The BPAV transfer from camera to PC took a little less than 43 mins and then the MXF transfer was very quick but still this a slow work around if the client wants this after the shoot as it means 1hr footage will take around and hour to download to their PC.

Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds