EX1 bottle neck for USB transfer to PC - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 9th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
8.0c and 8.1. The mp4 opens up just fine in both.
Are you saying that you can open the native mp4 file in vegas, without rewrapping to mxf ?

I just tried and vegas can't open the files, i have to rewrap to mxf first.

Paul.
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Are you saying that you can open the native mp4 file in vegas, without rewrapping to mxf ?

I just tried and vegas can't open the files, i have to rewrap to mxf first.

Paul.
You know what? I just tested this to be sure. You're right. I cannot. My transition to using the .mp4 files came at the same time as my transition to another editing codec. The transcoder can read those files just fine, but Vegas cannot.

I am sorry for the confusion.
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #18
Major Player

whew, I thought it was ALL my equipment screwing up!

are you still using clip browser to re wrap then?
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
The transcoder can read those files just fine, but Vegas cannot.

I am sorry for the confusion.
Oh, thought that's the "user" problem :)
but anyways it's redicules, no problem with native EX1 mp4 in Adobe, and sony does not understand sony
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #20
Major Player

i've updated the laptops clip browser to v.2 and can now pull the files off the SDHC card, but its still slow...what am I missing? is it possible its camera related?
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
i've updated the laptops clip browser to v.2 and can now pull the files off the SDHC card, but its still slow...what am I missing? is it possible its camera related?
No, USB is slow. That's why the cards come out and can be placed in a machine. It's also that slow USB interface that is responsible for us not being able to do overcranking on SDHC. No way around it unless you want to take the card out and transfer directly.
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
are you still using clip browser to re wrap then?
No, I don't.

There is a utility that converts mp4 files to Avid's DNxHD codec directly, in batch. So I just point it at all my source material, and let it do it's thing. When it's done, I have lovely editable files. Overnight, I do the same thing, but let it encode to higher quality files (if necessary).
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #23
Major Player

Peronne, out of interest what utility are you using?
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rawlings View Post
Peronne, out of interest what utility are you using?
A small utility called XDCAMEX_to_Avid. It's a GUI shell wrapped around ffmpeg. Takes mp4 files as input, kicks out DNxHD .mov files. Simple and highly effective.
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
No way around it unless you want to take the card out and transfer directly.

thats what I did this time, and I stopped the transfer at 12 minutes in to a 7 min file.
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
thats what I did this time, and I stopped the transfer at 12 minutes in to a 7 min file.
I just tried copying my BPAV folder from my expresscard to my laptop drive. 7.03GB took about 2 minutes 20 seconds.

-P
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
I just tried copying my BPAV folder from my expresscard to my laptop drive. 7.03GB took about 2 minutes 20 seconds.

-P
now you are just showing off! haha.

that was with the express card plugged right into the computer? did the drive come with the computer? or did you buy it aftwords?

I am gonna go try my gear with a mac, just to rule out the camera, and go from there.

EDIT-

just noticed you said laptop, so I am assuming its a newer one with the built in express card slot huh? I need to find an adapter for my PCexpress card slot, so I can try using the SxS cards.
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Many of the SD card slots on laptops do not support SDHC cards without a firmware update. I had this problem on a Vaio. Found I got much faster transfers from SDHC cards by using a USB to SDHC adapter.
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
now you are just showing off! haha.

that was with the express card plugged right into the computer? did the drive come with the computer? or did you buy it aftwords?

I am gonna go try my gear with a mac, just to rule out the camera, and go from there.

EDIT-

just noticed you said laptop, so I am assuming its a newer one with the built in express card slot huh? I need to find an adapter for my PCexpress card slot, so I can try using the SxS cards.
Yes, I bought the new laptop in anticipation of working with the EX1. Ordered within a week of each other. Honestly, if you are going to get into this level of the game, the workflow has to be solid end to end.

I'm specing out a new desktop as I type this. Hopefully a dual quad-core. One of those times I WISH Vegas would use a GPU. But I am building this one to handle 2k and 4k. I don't want to be here again in 2 years crying about my slow machine.
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Yes, I bought the new laptop in anticipation of working with the EX1. Ordered within a week of each other. Honestly, if you are going to get into this level of the game, the workflow has to be solid end to end.

I'm specing out a new desktop as I type this. Hopefully a dual quad-core. One of those times I WISH Vegas would use a GPU. But I am building this one to handle 2k and 4k. I don't want to be here again in 2 years crying about my slow machine.
yeah, my laptop is the weak link, but the desktop shouldnt be, its all brand new, built specifically to handle the ex3.

back to the BPAV subject, how do you re wrap using clip browser? I put the folder on the desktop as a test, and cant find it using clip browser.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds