DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Ok to leave Wide Conversion on? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/141253-ok-leave-wide-conversion.html)

Keith Anderson January 9th, 2009 02:08 PM

Ok to leave Wide Conversion on?

Would someone care to explain what magic the wide conversion setting is having on this camera? I am using both the Century Optics fisheye and wide angle. Am I safe simply leaving the wide angle conversion setting to on?

Thanks in advance to every one who contributes to this awesome forum!

Keith

Bill Ravens January 9th, 2009 03:16 PM

I would guess it affects the way the back focus is set on the lens.

John Hedgecoe January 9th, 2009 09:53 PM

I thought it affected the image stabilizer setting. I think I also read somewhere it *might* also have some affect on CA correction.

Tuomas Sebastien January 10th, 2009 02:00 AM

I believe this setting is only to be use with Sony's own wide-angle-adapter. It has been adjusted to mathematically correct the CA that the Sony's lens causes. I doubt it does that with any other... since it is pre-calculated parameter it might harm the image under other conditions.

Patrick Collins January 11th, 2009 06:34 AM

I can't see any CA correction in the image, when using the Sony WA. The back focus idea sounds plausible... In which case prob best to leave it on with any WA adaptor attached.. 2c

Max Allen July 10th, 2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Anderson (Post 992103)
Would someone care to explain what magic the wide conversion setting is having on this camera? I am using both the Century Optics fisheye and wide angle. Am I safe simply leaving the wide angle conversion setting to on?

Keith

OIS. WA has different compensation than regular lens.

It would be pretty useless if it was for CA for all the people who use non-Sony WA.

Boyd Ostroff July 10th, 2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Allen (Post 1170178)
OIS. WA has different compensation than regular lens.

Exactly. My Sony PDX-10 also had this same setting, so does the HVR-Z1. It's a little more clear what it does there however, because it's an option on the Steadyshot menu.

Joe Yaggi July 11th, 2009 11:18 AM

Hi Keith,

We did a long 20 something day shoot a few months back with the EX3 hot off the press, or at least, hot in our hands.

AS part of the package I bought a Century Optics wide angle lens. I also bought an ST-7 shoulder mount.

Even with the shoulder mount and Sony batts on back, it was still front heavy with the wide angle. But that wasn't what you asked (though I had to add it in!). We left the wide angle lens on for the first day and into the beginning of the second under pretty harsh conditions. What I found on review was that there was significant barrel distortion... - notice I didn't just scream :)

My point is, at the end of the day, if you're adding glass and you're thinkin about leavin it on (at least the Century), then you either need to test it thoroughly or chuck it and buy a proper wide anlge... IMHO :) I say this becaue I've seen singnificant barrel distortion. not sure if others see it in this config but me keep to know.

Joe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Anderson (Post 992103)

Keith

Boyd Ostroff July 11th, 2009 11:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Which Century Optics wide lens did you use? Curious because there seems to be a lot of confusion on this topic if you look at other threads. Was it the 0.75x? .75X W/A HD CONVERTER EX1/EX3 - Schneider Optics

If you read back through this forum, the 0.75x lens was pulled last year and has since been replaced with a new version.

Or was it the 0.6x lens? .6X WIDE ANGLE HD ADP EX1/EX3 - Schneider Optics. That sure looks like the same adaptor I have for my z1 (with a different mount), and it has pretty severe barrel distortion and is also rather soft. I still like using it for effect from time to time, but not a lens I would leave on the whole time certainly!

Leonard Levy July 11th, 2009 02:07 PM

I don't think it would affect backfocus at all, but it will undoubtedly compromise your lens performance and that's something you should be able to test easily by shooting the same size shot with and without the adapter. Whether the compromise is worth the convenience will be up to you.