EX1 and Tele-prompter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 10th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #1
Inner Circle

EX1 and Tele-prompter

Has anyone used a tele-prompter with their EX1/EX3? The set up is easy and I have setup once and will again today prior to a big full day shoot on Monday. Just wanted to post and see if there are any tricks that will help the process.

All set with nice Sachtler Video 20p tripod head and nice sticks so no movement, Rifa soft box lights, great studio set, nice audio. Tele-prompter is: QTV FDP 12 Flat Panel Teleprompter - Sales and Rentals - Rule

A qualified operator will be seated next to me and I will have my camera on a 24" monitor. The prompter software seems easy to use and the budget is all day so no pressured for time.

The one thing I have learned is turn the tally light off on the front of the camera to prevent reflection.

Any other tricks?
Old January 10th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Trustee

I have been using a TelePrompter with my EX3 and found no problems other than I can't use the widest angle setting on the lens, it captures the edges of the prompter.

Make sure the 45' mirror/glass is spotless otherwise you will capture dust blobs. Give your talent the text well in advance and ask them to memorise as much as possible, this will produce a more natural flow rather than a read out flow.

Good luck
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Vincent,

The rental house added to the tripod a 35mm lift to the EX1 camera to help center it on the glass. But I will have options on the distance to adjust the wide settings.

Good point that has passed my radar. What do you use to clean the glass? I am going to read the manual today and hope they specify the glass cleaning product. Maybe my lens cleaning solution but I will check.

The talent wrote the script so that will not be too much of a problem. And his assistant who helped edit is the one running the prompter. We will do a few takes.
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

That's one of the things I love about my VF plate with rods block, when camera is locked into the sony VCT plate, the EX-3 is now the exact same lens height as a full size camera so I don't have to use that pain in the butt riser block on prompter sled.
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #5
Trustee

I use a good quality lens cleaner fluid, which I also use for my scanner glass. When doing prompter work try to change the zoom setting after 15 - 20 seconds. Looking at someone reciting script for longer periods without a change will cause the viewer to become visually bored and then the message will not sink in.
Old January 11th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Vincent good point on changing the frame size to keep the viewers interest.
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Vincent the shoot went great.

Glad you suggested to clean the teleprompter glass it did have dust on both sides. The prompter did get hot after running for 5 hrs but no problems. The soft boxes did blow a bulb and one dimmer but I had spares.

Happy producer and client.
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #8
Trustee

Glad to been of help to you Paul. I have been using my TelePrompter all week and mixing the footage with some unscripted dialogue, just to keep the production spontaneous.
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Could not talk the producer to letting me change focal length while shooting. He preferred to have me adjust the frame size for each 1-3 minute segment. His call.
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #10
Trustee

I'm sure it will work out OK, there are so many techniques for everything, which may or not work on your own projects.

I am shooting all day on Wednesday with my own prompter - it saves so much time by not having to do take after take because you missed a word out etc.
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I am a believer and will rent prompters often for studio work. I agree a retake is only seconds compared to other options on a specific script.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds