SDHC Brands that work with MxR - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 30th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docea Marius View Post
I have 4 MxR adapter with Transcend SDHC 16GB cals 6, works perfectly
Is this the one you got Docea ?
SanDisk | 16GB Ultra II Secure Digital (SDHC) | SDSDRH-016GR
Laffan Nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:17 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Just wondering what would make any of the SDHC cards incompatible with the M&R setup outside of speed?

I thought SD memory was standardized.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:21 AM   #18
Regular Crew

no, I tested these cards from Transcend 16gb sdhc clas 6, I am very happy with them ..

Amazon.com: Transcend 16 GB SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card TS16GSDHC6: Electronics
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:28 AM   #19
Tourist

I tried two sandisk Video HD 16Gb cards and neither one worked with the MxR.
I then picked up two sandisk Ultra II 16Gb cards and a sandisk Extreme III 8Gb card and they all worked fine with the MxR.
Matt Puzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #20
Major Player

Best UK Price of Transcend 16GB

What the best UK price for the Transcend that you guys can find?
7dayshop are selling it for £20 delivered, can anyone better that?
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Puzey View Post
I tried two sandisk Video HD 16Gb cards and neither one worked with the MxR.
I then picked up two sandisk Ultra II 16Gb cards and a sandisk Extreme III 8Gb card and they all worked fine with the MxR.
Does EX1's firmware version matter if your sticking with just the 16GB cards?

I think I've got 1.05

Last edited by Craig Terott; February 17th, 2009 at 07:19 AM.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #22
Inner Circle

ALL SDHC solutions requires 1.11 in EX1.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Ridata 16gb SDHC class 6

Any luck with these? Supermedia is selling for $26

Ridata 16GB Lightning Series Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Memory Card
Chris Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #24
Inner Circle

These have been tested and are cheaper but I can't vouch for the seller.
Amazon.com: Transcend 16 GB SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card TS16GSDHC6: Electronics
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:29 AM   #25
New Boot

I'm testing the new Sandisk Extreme III 30 MB/s Edition 16 GB SDHC.
It supports every resolution, now I'm testing the overcranking, but it seems having the same issues like the Extreme II.
So, don't waste extra money for the Extreme III series! At this price you can buy 2-3 16 GB Extreme II (or almost one 32 GB)
Luca Nicoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Craig View Post
What the best UK price for the Transcend that you guys can find?
7dayshop are selling it for £20 delivered, can anyone better that?
I'm in the states, but I tried Google UK shopping and came up with this:

TS16GSDHC6 - Google Product Search

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #27
Regular Crew

So, actually, is there SDHC ready for overcranking ?

And what 32 GB SDHC works without any problem ? (just for long recording, and not overcranking).

Don't you think we can make an Excel sheet in this forum with Good/No Good/Overcranking ?

Regards,

William.
William Japhet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Japhet View Post
And what 32 GB SDHC works without any problem ? (just for long recording, and not overcranking).

Don't you think we can make an Excel sheet in this forum with Good/No Good/Overcranking ?

Regards,

William.
For what they cost, you can buy a bunch of 16GB cards and adapters and just keep switching them as the second one fills. Not sure what real advantage paying an arm and a leg for a 32GB card serves when so far there is no proof (AFAIK) that they are that reliable yet.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
For what they cost, you can buy a bunch of 16GB cards and adapters and just keep switching them as the second one fills. Not sure what real advantage paying an arm and a leg for a 32GB card serves when so far there is no proof (AFAIK) that they are that reliable yet.

John
Sandisk 32GB Ultra II have been reliable for me. They always take 2 attempts to format but once formated they go forever. In many long shoot situations that I do, changing a cards is a real pain ranging from camera jiggle to putting one away and digging out another.
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #30
Tourist

Problems with MxR card read and SanDisk Ultra II Class 4 16GB

Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced any problems with the MxR and SanDisk cards. I've had the cards for a few months now, and I have now had my third major problem.

The first incident occurred while shooting on a reality television show. The card showed no problems during shooting (I never got the Restore Media message), but when I tried to import on a MacBook it was unreadable. I tried several data restoration programs, and went so far as to have the Geek Squad take a look. Unfortunately, there were no salvageable files. I contacted Sony to see if they might be able to help, but obviously because it is a third party product they were unwilling. This was a pretty big disaster and although we did not lose a lot of footage in did cost me a client.

I talked with Ross from eFilm and he deduced that most likely it was a faulty SanDisk card. This seemed plausible to me, but the part that bothered me was that I had used the card successfully for a couple of weeks before the failure.

Currently, I am in Rwanda shooting a documentary. Last week I had another card fail. This time the card did appear in the XDCAM Transfer but several clips were corrupted. They each played for a few seconds, but would always stop at the same point. Once again it seemed plausible that the card simply had a bad sector or two. Still, I was bothered because it was a card I had been using for several weeks without a problem. I immediately took this card out of my usage rotation.

Today, I have had yet another problem. The card is readable in the XDCAM transfer program, except for a 17 minute interview clip. (Unfortunately, this is a one time only interview with a convicted murderer/perpetrator of the '94 Genocide here in Rwanda). When I try to import the clip it goes to 87 percent complete and suddenly ejects the card.
Because the clip is visible and plays partially I'm hoping that it is salvageable to some extent. When I insert the card in the camera it gives me the Media Restore message but the restore fails at 22% every time.

The failures have occurred on three separate SanDisk Ultra II Class 4 16GB cards purchased at separate times at separate retailers. I have a few Sony SxS cards that I use as well and I have never had a problem with them so I'm certain the camera is fine.

I don't feel like the MxR is necessarily to blame. However, I'm beginning to feel that if it is possible to use the SD cards recommended by the makers of the MxR and still have these types of problems I don't see how the MxR can be suitable for professional use. As I said before these were cards that I've been using for some time. Each time I've purchased an SD card I have set the camera up and recorded through the entire card TWICE and transferred these clips to insure there would be no hidden problems.

At this point, I have lost all faith in the MxR's viability for professional use. Even if the problem is with the SD cards I don't see how the work flow can be usable in a professional environment. The real issue as I see it, is that these cards have failed after several dozen successful uses. If they had simply failed out of the box, upon testing, I would be more convinced of the MxR's viability.

Previously, I owned an HVX200 which I used to shoot extensively throughout Asia and Africa and I never lost a single clip. The MxR was a big factor in switching to the EX1 (not to mention the sweet resolution). At this point I'm pulling all of the MxR cards out of usage and ordering additional Sony SxS cards and having them overnighted from the US.

I'm extremely curious if anyone else had had any problems like this. I'm open to any suggestions for salvaging my latest card.

Scott
Scott Ippolito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds