Lost footage on new Sandisk 32Gb - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 12th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I'm getting a slightly different format issue with MxR and Ultra II 32GB. I have two of each.

The first time I try to format I get an NG message. I pull MxR and it asks me to format the card and I execute. That formats.

Basically it always takes attempt/fail, remove, reinsert, execute to format.

It does that every time. Very consistent.

I have no other problems though. Once formated the card behaves. I tend to delete clips rather than format the card so it isn't a serious problem for me. It is different behavior than 16GB cards.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Craig, I have to believe he pulled the card before the camera stopped recording to the card. This is a big NO NO for any tapeless camera system including P2. As we have discussed offline the recording continues even after the TALLY LIGHT stops. Anyone reading this should understand how important it is to check and make sure the card slot light is green before removing the card.

Michael Palmer
Michael Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Yes, there's a good 4 to 6 seconds where the light over the card is still red. I think many people are yanking the cards too quickly.

One of the reasons why I splurged on 32GB cards rather than 16GB is that it all but eliminates the need to remove the card during a shoot.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #19
Major Player

Same drill this AM formatting the 32gb cards, as Craig reports.

But after the second insertion, they did format and I had no problem filling two cards this morning. Very convenient having close to 4 continuous hours since I was just shooting speakers at a seminar today.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #20
Major Player

Formatting issues

The camera was definitely NOT recording. Due to the fact I was hungry and running low on energy, I don't remember exactly what I did, but I might have pulled the sd card out of the kensington adapter to show someone (again I might be wrong but whatever I did, it was not good). When I tried formatting the card, it failed as some of you have experienced. Something is amiss with these cards in regards to the formatting. So far, I haven't had any issues since and will pass it off as a human error. At least I know that it isn't a card specific issue rather than an overall quark with the Sandisk 32GB.

My theory so far is that some of our formatting isn't taking hold, and a good practice might be to format twice on a new card just to be sure.
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds