Problem with Sandisk UltraII and both adapters - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 26th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Class 2 cards say Class 2 on the package. Not easy to discern on the website since all the web marketing material always says Class 4.

I don't see anyone reporting issue with Transcend cards. Hoodman also assures that their cards work too.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #32
Major Player

Can we have a proper poll of SD card EX owning users? To get some idea of what issues there are with these setups.

Can it contain information on which popular adaptors and card are being used, whether the users has had zero problems, some problems but no data loss, several problems and data loss etc.

Or a scale of one to ten for reliability, data loss etc
Old April 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #33
Major Player

I use four Kensington adapters with my EX3. Sandisk 16GB Extreme III's.

Since October 2008:
No data loss
No formating issues or such problems
10 for 10 reliability

Im waiting for some 32GB cards either Class 6 or Extreme IV's to become available and hoping they will serve me equally as well.

Sadly, Sony still has a long way to go with their price reduction on SxS before I will invest in them. If Panasonic (NAB09) can sell 64GB P2 cards for under a grand and 32GB P2 cards for less than 600, surely Sony can pull up its socks and get with the customer demand as well.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #34
Inner Circle

MxR
2 Sandisk 32GB Ultra II Class 2 cards
Requires two format attempts to format
Using them since Jan '09 (when I was first able to get the 32GB cards) and never lost a bit. Never even had a restore media. I've done nearly 4 hour continuous records across the two cards also. Flawless.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #35
Major Player

3 x MxR with 4 x 16GB Transcend.

After a few months of use, no problems so far. Corporates and Commercials. I use drag and drop in OSX finder to copy and backup the BPAV folders.

I won't wipe the SD card until I have worked with the extracted quicktimes, then backup the quicktimes and the BPAV to three different HDs in separate locations.
Old April 28th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #36
Regular Crew

I have...
2 MxR adapters
2 16GB Transcend Class 6 SDHC cards
2 32GB Transcend Class 6 SDHC cards
2 32GB TopRam Class 6 SDHC cards
2 16GB SxS cards
2 8GB SxS cards

No SxS issues.

The TopRam 32GB SDHC cards do NOT work. Cannot format.

The 32GB Transcend cards... One card works ok, the other card will only work in one slot, but not the other slot. Not an MxR issue as both MxR adapters had the same issue with this card and the same slot in the camera.

Transcend 16GB cards... No problems until last week when one card started giving the media restore message. So far I have not been able to clear this card, nor can I format it now. Same behavior in both MxR adapters, and not a slot issue on the camera.

To be honest, I don't need these kind of headaches. Plus with the recent price drop on the Sony SxS cards, I think I am going to go exclusively with SxS from now on.

I have plenty of digital cameras that I can use the SDHC cards in, so they are not wasted.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #37
Regular Crew

2 Kensington exchange with 2 MxR adapter :-) anyone interested?
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #38
Regular Crew

5x MxR with 12x 16GB SanDisk SDHC Ultra II Class 4
No problems so far but few shots only till now.

As I've written here I had problems when testing integrity of cards before using them. The 2 biggest problems were:
  • drop off writing speed (below 10MBit/sec from 13.6MBit/sec) somewhere in the middle of one card
  • read error near end of another card
3 more cards had writing rates of 13.0-13.6 only where all other's were above 14.0-14.5MBit/sec. I do speak of sequential writing the FULL cards - not just some short tests.

In the end I've send back all five dubious cards. After these experiences for me it is essential to check integrity of the complete cards. I will do this from time to time again to be sure...

Last edited by Markus Klatt; May 7th, 2009 at 07:00 AM.
Markus Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #39
Regular Crew

4 MxR adapters - (I had 5 but one broke - I think because I tried to insert the SD card in backwards, d'oh!)
5 16gb sandisk ultra II
2 32gb sandisk ultra II
I have had only one error with the 16gb where the camera stopped recording and got a restore media message. Don't know why. I was handheld and scrambling around, so could have been me hitting a button or something. I have put that card away - don't really trust it anymore, and don't really need it.
I wasn't trusting the 32 gb cards because of the double formatting issue, but since I read that others have the exact same issue and then double format and then shoot with no issues, I have been using them with no problems.
I'm probably on 10 cycles with the 16gb cards, and 2 on the 32 gb cards.
Dana Kupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #40
Regular Crew

happened to me 1 time

i got this message once when i was shooting outside in Bangkok on a really hot day "Media needs to be restored". i was recording to my MxR card with a Sandisk Ultra II 16 GB. i shut the camera down and when i started up everything was sweet. i don't think i lost anything. i don't know why sometimes my camera seems to get hot but i noticed it on one other occasion and it was not hot or even outside. the day i got the message i thought it could be related to the heat and not the Sandisk Ulta II.
when you got the message did you lose any media?
aloha
tito
Tito Haggardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #41
Regular Crew

First SD card failure

I use Sandisk Ultra II 8gb cards in an MxR adapter. Had one fail on me Tuesday. I got all my footage, converted to SD via Clip Browser, into my Mac Pro via USB connection. Ejected and disconnected, and shut down the camera normally, I thought. I reconnected the camera a few minutes later to check an unused file. That's when I got the message that the card needs to be restored. The screen said that the card had not been removed properly. Now nothing works to fix it. The camera won't read it and my Mac Book Pro won't read it in either XDCam Transfer or Clip Browser. I figure that card is toast. Fortunately the footage was just some cars for a commercial and is easy to replace if needed. My confidence in the SD cards is a little shaken.
Michael Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #42
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sims View Post
Fortunately the footage was just some cars for a commercial and is easy to replace if needed. My confidence in the SD cards is a little shaken.
As I said from the beginning, this is a great way to save money on shooting material that you aren't making money on. If it's a paying client, those SxS cards will seem very inexpensive in comparison to the cost of a lost client over lost material.

JMO,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sims View Post
My confidence in the SD cards is a little shaken.
Mine too - just in this moment. I wanted to copy 8 of my SanDisks 16GB which I used few days ago on an imported event with ClipBrowser 2.5 on XP, options set to "data protection" and "CRC".
Suddenly one of the clips which show fine on camera and in ClipBrowser stops copying with the message "drive not ready" and drive disappears in CP. Next try, all clips show up again, but copying of faulty one is not possible.
Tried then by simple drag and drop in Windows - at 20% get "wrong parameter" message. Tried several times, on 2 PCs.
Next try: copying clip in camera from A to B. After ~ 20% get message "media needs to be restored" but no option to do so.

I then used CP again and set IN-OUT-marks before error. Create new clip -> works fine.
BUT - there is another error in this clip, at arround 70%. Same behaviour. I then set another marks and create 3 clips from this one (just 1:50min) - all new clips are fine. The total loss is 2x 2 seconds. It could be worse, but this is really frightening for next REALLY important shot (I normally have only those not reproducable takes). Will now use my 2x8GB SxS only whenever possible (and when it is enough memory).

I will check card afterwards but probably "simply" has 2 read-write-errors. BTW, I used USB2.0-SD-card reader, not EX1 when transferring.

The defect footage is a calm shot on tripod, no shaking, no changing of settings while shooting, 1080/50iHQ, no early stop while still writing. The card was 13GB full with several fine shots after the broken one...
Markus Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #44
New Boot

substitute for Kensington adapter

Is there a substitute for the Kensington adapter? Amazon.com does not seem to sell them anymore.

Thanks,
John
John Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Tito -
In response to your question: I did not lose any media, it just stopped recording, I restored, and then switched over to the other card and kept going.
Dana Kupper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds