SWIT S-8U62 XDCAM EX battery - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 30th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Paul Good afternoon,

How long does it last with camera and light on at the same time.
You also said "TIP..When charging, make sure the fly lead is tucked into the battery, it makes some sort of circuit." Does that mean that it has to be connected to something or just secured?
Pavlos Symeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #17
Major Player

Except for the space saving aspect of using the same battery for both the light and the camera the whole idea seems like you would be playing with fire. It will definitely cut down the shooting time even more than the pathetic shooting time it allows with no light attached.

Wouldn't the version of the light (S-2010) that requires the battery bracket and separate 7.5 volt battery be a better option?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 07:25 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos Symeon View Post
Paul Good afternoon,

How long does it last with camera and light on at the same time.
You also said "TIP..When charging, make sure the fly lead is tucked into the battery, it makes some sort of circuit." Does that mean that it has to be connected to something or just secured?
I tested this - 2.5 hours
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:52 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Thank you Craig!
Pavlos Symeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:45 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
...Wouldn't the version of the light (S-2010) that requires the battery bracket and separate 7.5 volt battery be a better option?

John
I don't have an EX-1, just thinking about getting it (vs. Z7U... yes, money is an issue...) but I am using the SWIT S-2010s light (with Sony 7.2V battery plate) for several years already and can't be happier!.. Even there is also a combo option from SWIT (NP-F970 7.2V battery with the plug for the light) I use 2 separate batteries: one for my PD-170 and the other one for the light). With this setup I can shoot about 3-4 hrs of footage (typical wedding) without re-charging. If I decide to go for EX-1, I definitely will be using my S-2010s light with 970 batteries, and will buy 14.4V batteries for EX-1 from SWIT (though I won't be able to use my S-2010 light with them - different plug...)

The light has 40W optical output (but consumes only 12W of electrical power). What it is practically: 40W of day-light balanced undiffused light (I rarely use it...) Tungsten filter alone absorbs about a stop, and diffusor - about 1/2 a stop. So, what is left - less than a half... Typically (during reception) I use both of them (up to 6ft) - the quality of lite is pretty good. If the object is farther away - I open up the diffusion filter. When I shoot almost in the dark, I use only 1 diffusion filter and balance my camera for the day light (1 stop gain!..) Since EX-1 is very low-light sensitive, I assume, it'd work great with both filters for most indoor situations...

I apologize, this is out of place, but since I am already on EX-1 forum, one question for EX-1 owners:
- Can you record on both SxS cards simultaneoulsly (for redundancy?..)
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:38 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Spektor View Post
I apologize, this is out of place, but since I am already on EX-1 forum, one question for EX-1 owners:
- Can you record on both SxS cards simultaneoulsly (for redundancy?..)
No but the SxS cards are extremely reliable, better than tape.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott View Post
I'm jacked up about this battery/light combo. Just purchased one set (to make sure I like it before I buy more).

My only reservations are with the light. 40 Watts claimed. Curious to know if owners of the light believe this spec is accurate? ...or does it seem to be overstated?
I just got the S-2000 light and S-8U62 battery. I gotta say I'm mighty pleased. I just did a couple of really quick test shots with my EX1, Letus Extreme and Canon FD 24mm 1.4L and even on full wide when using the diffuser barn door on the light you get an evenly lit area on the whole picture. And its totally usable to I'd say to about 2 meter distance. Theres even a little nifty bag that comes with the light that fits the battery as well.

I dont know if Proactive is a sponsor here but gotta give props to them as well. UPS delivery from UK to Finland to my door in 3 days and cost only 27 pounds.

Sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:55 AM   #23
New Boot

What is the EX3-version of the SWIT S-8U62 battery called? Or does it go by the same model?
Thomas Alexander Mikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:27 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Alexander Mikel View Post
What is the EX3-version of the SWIT S-8U62 battery called? Or does it go by the same model?
I don't know about Europe but in the US store it is the same battery SWIT S-8U62 with 2 options you can choose from - for EX-1 or EX-3:
Li-ion Battery S-8U62 . I would contact them and ask before placing the order...
Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM   #25
Contributor

It is the same model for both EX1 and EX3 now. SWIT modified their original battery to work for both, but did not change the model number.
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #26
Trustee

Is this the best option 3rd party battery for the EX1? Or even the only one?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 12:06 PM   #27
Major Player

I am wondering about these Swit batteries for the EX1.

Question 1: Will they charge if I leave them in the camera and just plug in the camera? Or do I need to buy a special charger?

I am buying an EX1 very soon so I don't know any of it's work flows. I am used to working with a Sony VX2100, where you just plug it in and the battery charges. I take it there is no "Minutes left" indicator wth this battery, but it sounds interesting to be able to set up a voltage alarm in the camera. I hope that can be set to go off with maybe a half an hour of charge left so I can ease out of whatever situation I'm in (I record seminars, and need to wait for a brief pause to swap batteries) with some battery live left to fudge.

Question 2: How much battery time is usually left when you set a voltage alarm?

Thanks guys. I'm excited to get rollong wth the EX1 and these cool batteries.

Chadfish
Chad Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 01:43 PM   #28
Major Player

I purchased one of these last week and used it yesterday on a shoot with my EX3.

Thoughts? Its a decent enough battery but a couple of caveats. First of all the lead is only just long enough and is taut along the side of the EX3 to the 12v plug. But it works. However, it can be easy to snag and if that happens the camera will instantly shut down. be careful.

Secondly, the camera can't tell how much power is left in the battery, and on the LCD screen just says its a 12v input. So the only way of judging how much power is left is to use the guage on the battery, which "may" show 100%, 75%, 50% and 25%. When it gets down to the final light, I wouldn't trust to use it on any shots which may stretch to a bit of time.

The battery did work very well though. It sticks out about half an inch further than the U60 battery buut that's not really a problem.

Pricewise the Sony U60 battery sells for around £195 inc VAT +postage in the UK, whilst the Swit costs approx £107 delivered from B Hague. So a pretty good saving.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:05 PM   #29
Wrangler

Here in the US the SWIT is listing at $185 on their website vs. $250 for the Sony at B&H, so the price difference (which still significant) is not so great.

I guess I'm missing something with this concept though. It says you charge the battery with the regular Sony charger, so that must mean it has contacts like the Sony battery? Why use the DC cable to power the camera then? Doesn't seem like this product would offer much advantage unless you have one of their lights.

Chad, unlike your VX, the EX-1 has an external battery charger. It has a cable which can be used to power the camera externally, but in doing so you need to slide a switch to the power position. In other words, you can't power the camera and charge a battery at the same time. This is the same system they started using with the Z1 (whereas the FX1 had a system like the VX cameras).

Personally I am always very wary of powering the camera via the AC adaptor. There were a number of reports of blown internal fuses on the FX1 from this, although I haven't seen any problems reported on the EX1. Nevertheless, I resolved some time ago to only power my camera(s) with batteries. But maybe I am just paranoid!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:20 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Here in the US the SWIT is listing at $185 on their website vs. $250 for the Sony at B&H, so the price difference (which still significant) is not so great.

I guess I'm missing something with this concept though. It says you charge the battery with the regular Sony charger, so that must mean it has contacts like the Sony battery? Why use the DC cable to power the camera then? Doesn't seem like this product would offer much advantage unless you have one of their lights.

Chad, unlike your VX, the EX-1 has an external battery charger. It has a cable which can be used to power the camera externally, but in doing so you need to slide a switch to the power position. In other words, you can't power the camera and charge a battery at the same time. This is the same system they started using with the Z1 (whereas the FX1 had a system like the VX cameras).

Personally I am always very wary of powering the camera via the AC adaptor. There were a number of reports of blown internal fuses on the FX1 from this, although I haven't seen any problems reported on the EX1. Nevertheless, I resolved some time ago to only power my camera(s) with batteries. But maybe I am just paranoid!
So boyd

Are you saying that if I am running the EX1 on battery during a long seminar, and my battery is low, I can't have continuous power just by plugging in the power cable? Can I plug in the power cable, then switch to DC power while the camera is recording?

And Yes, now I am considering getting a big sony battery for general use, and to have an accurate reading of remaining time, and maybe getting a Swit as a secondary, and to use with the associated light. Though, I have never run out of power with my VX and a 970 battery, even during a 3-4 hour concert - it is good to see how much time you have. Then again I don't believe my VX2100 has 715 minutes like the battery indicator says. So maybe it's all a guessing game.

This is why I like that other guy's suggestion of using the voltage alarm in the camera. I am hoping he responds with an answer to my question of how accurately you can set this alarm to tell you when you may have say, 30 minutes left. Or 15 min? Does anyone have any experience with this alarm?

Thanks

Chadfish
Chad Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds