DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX3 Firmware update thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/141533-ex3-firmware-update-thread.html)

Brian Luce January 13th, 2009 11:18 PM

EX3 Firmware update thread

As I understand it, Sony has its first firmware upgrade available for the EX3. The firmware fixes the "Hunting for focus" issue that plagues some units.

Hopefully people can add to this thread as more facts trickle in.

I still have questions, such as does it do anything else aside from the focus fix?
Or, do the third party cards still work AFTER the upgrade?

Edit: West Coast Service Center is in San Jose CA. 3 week turn around.

Justin Benn January 14th, 2009 09:21 AM

Also

I'd also like to know if the firmware is available for self-installation. Just about to enter a busy period of work as luck should have it but can't afford to send the camera away (a long way away) right now. Any news?

Jus.

Jay Gladwell January 14th, 2009 10:03 AM

So far <knocking on wood> I haven't had any problems with my EX3. Therefore, I see no need to upgrade the firmware at this time.

Why fix it if it ain't broken?

Brooks Graham January 14th, 2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell (Post 994807)
So far <knocking on wood> I haven't had any problems with my EX3. Therefore, I see no need to upgrade the firmware at this time.

Why fix it if it ain't broken?

Excellent point!

Having been burned before with performing updates just because they exist, I think I'll wait as well.

@Justin: Given your situation with a critical upcoming job, now would be the *worst* time to do an update.

Michael Palmer January 15th, 2009 01:26 AM

I spoke with Sony east coast today and no EX3 firmware being discussed with end users.

Michael Palmer

Andy Wilkinson January 15th, 2009 07:13 AM

Sony EX3 Firmware Confirmation!

If you look at Andy Stone's post in this thread you will see that he has the new PMW-EX3 Firmware Version 1.03 and it (so far) appears to be working fine with usual viable SDHC cards/adapters etc.

Loosing the ability to focus with Sony EX-3 - Page 7 - The Digital Video Information Network

Brian Luce January 16th, 2009 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 995302)
If you look at Andy Stone's post in this thread you will see that he has the new PMW-EX3 Firmware Version 1.03 and it (so far) appears to be working fine with usual viable SDHC cards/adapters etc.

Loosing the ability to focus with Sony EX-3 - Page 7 - The Digital Video Information Network

Yes, there does indeed seem to be a firmware version 1.03 that fixes wandering focus and fixes a bug relating to the IR Remote when the "+" button is used.

There's some tea leaf reading here but Sony seems to be contemplating the issue of third party media cards. There seems to be reticence on their part regarding it's discussion.

I'm going to call Sony San Jose tomorrow to get some intel.

Brooks Graham January 16th, 2009 01:44 AM

I didn't read Sony's response that way. If I were Sony, I wouldn't acknowledge the use of 3rd party flash cards either. Any official recognition or comment by them at all could be taken as a tacit endorsement and the Sony I know wouldn't want that.

Of course, we are all very interested to hear what you learn! ;-)

Andrew Stone January 16th, 2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 995819)
There's some tea leaf reading here but Sony seems to be contemplating the issue of third party media cards. There seems to be reticence on their part regarding it's discussion. I'm going to call Sony San Jose tomorrow to get some intel.

Hi Brian,

I am the fellow who got the firmware upgrade and described the exchange between me and the Sony people. I can tell you unequivocally that your interpretation is not the case and Brooks' interpretation is correct. Your notion would be an interesting tack for Sony if they wanted to engage in FUD (fear, uncertainty & doubt) style marketing but they aren't.

In my post about the experience and the exchange was a very broad stroked story of the events, I deliberately focused in on some of the ironic things that happened over those few days knowing that everyone is concerned that Sony was going to nuke the ability to use SD cards. Don't place too much emphasis on detail and nuance when it isn't there.

BTW the EX3 is still shooting flawlessly with the 1.03 firmware upgrade. I put on another couple of hours yesterday evening.

Jay Gladwell January 16th, 2009 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 994622)
As I understand it, Sony has its first firmware upgrade available for the EX3. ...West Coast Service Center is in San Jose CA. 3 week turn around.

Don't get me wrong, I love my EX3 (you'll get it from me when you pry it from my dead, cold fingers). I harbor no ill feelings toward Sony. What I can't understand is why it takes them so frazzling long to turn a camera around. When I owned a Canon, it took them between a week and ten days, and that was doing far more than upgrading firmware!

Just expressing my confusing, nothing more, nothing less.

Ted OMalley January 16th, 2009 11:10 AM

Jay,

Where is the nearest Sony location to us? What have you used in the past.

Jay Gladwell January 16th, 2009 11:37 AM

Ted, it's my understanding the we'd use the facility in New Jersy.

I haven't needed any service since I switched to the EX3. In theory, a solid state camera should require far less maintenance than the analogy cameras--heads, tape transports, caspins, etc.

Brian Luce January 16th, 2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Stone (Post 995912)
Hi Brian,

I am the fellow who got the firmware upgrade and described the exchange between me and the Sony people. I can tell you unequivocally that your interpretation is not the case and Brooks' interpretation is correct. Your notion would be an interesting tack for Sony if they wanted to engage in FUD (fear, uncertainty & doubt) style marketing but they aren't.

My point, based on your conversation is that Sony is ambiguous about the sxs card hack. They've acknowledged the hack exists and acknowledged the firmware doesn't affect it. But, based on what you said, they don't really want to talk about it. Don't ask don't tell. Maybe that's as good as it'll get.

I called the San Jose service center today. I talked to a guy named Lou, but Lou was clueless. "Huh? Firmware? What camera? What's wrong with it? Hunts for focus? Never heard that before. You sure? Okay send it in! We'll fix it! Dunno about any firmware though." Lou also said the service center was in LA not San Jose. He said 5 day turn around. I don't believe Lou though. I don't think he knows a thing.

Ned Soltz January 16th, 2009 02:43 PM

The most recent word I had from Sony USA is that there is "an internal version" of 1.03 but it is not released. The spokesman offered no comment on my report that it was available in Europe. Did not know at the time that it was available in Canada. Sony is a huge company and the individual country operating units operate somewhat independently. Sony USA always seems to be the last in line.

Chris Clifton May 24th, 2009 09:51 AM

Update notifications?

How do you go about KNOWING there is a firmware update? Is it just via the forums because someone happened to send a camera in with a problem and spread the word? I've never received notification--but they manage to find me when they want me to buy more stuff, therefore my camera is registered in their database. hmmmmm. I sent in my camera for the back focus issue, came back unrepaired but with band-aid suggestion to shoot in Auto Focus until they have a solution (which was not acceptable to me), and no updates as to what to do next for 6 months and counting. Very unhappy because I wanted to upgrade both of my EX1's to multicam EX3's at the end of last year. Their offer to replace in Feb/March never materialized, by the way.